Any way of hacking digital cable?

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through February 12, 2007Cable Tool100
Archive through June 09, 2006cableguy100

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 951
I'm guilty of calling at least 1 person a name, I usually try not to do that but it is certainly funny reading otherwise

Scooby+Cable Tool+cableguy=triple Trouble for morons? lol

Username: Studio1b

Post Number: 1
oh man you people are great.
after opening about 5 boxes used on my network
SA boxes i will say there is a ways to get in to the. ONE 4200HD has a 4000 mother board the chips on the board can be pulled and then re programed with out any problems. this then can be used to make CLONED BOXES. yes it can be done YOU CAN LIFT THE CHIPS IN THE BOX READ THE CODE AND THEN RE COPY THEM TO OTHER BOXES.

you will need a SUBBED account with all channels
lift the chip off the mother board read it and the n program it back on to a new chip install it back in to your board and watch it boot

after that take a chip out of the 2nd 4200HD with the 4000 mother board and apply the coding u dumped off the other board to it and power it on and watch it boot.

So yes you can hack a DIGITAL box and i know also you can do this with MOTO boxes there are tons of info for COMCAST DIGITAL BOXES ALL OVER THE WEB

to any one that says you cant hack it then bend over because i'm ready to FU*K U

Username: Grandizer

Hey guys not to get anyones undies in a twist but I may have some good news for you who chose the cheaper path to entertainment. Now the deal is about 5 yrs ago I had Cox install their digital product. The subcontractor was Sunrise Cable. Well all in all the guy who installed it for us put a code using the faceplate buttons on the box and voila we had almost everything except for pay per view. He also told us that if we did not order PPV we would retain everything.....and we did for like 3 years until we moved. Now that was 5 years ago so it may not apply and I don't have the code and it was for a motorolla box. If any one can get the code plz post it may still work for some boxes.

Post Number: 2
Cable Tool STFU all the cable companies are thieves....they give crappy stuff to watch at any given time of the day... and it's like 60 bucks to get a handful of viewable programming stations. Cable companies also steal from their customers with their fraudulent billing tactics. Sick of getting fukkked and would now like to do some fukkking.

Username: I_dl_movies

I am a comcast HSI subscriber with which I get the 12 mbit down speed at $60 a month. First a foremost , I love the service I am receiving. I perform bandwidth tests daily, and on average receive 12-21 mbit down and 712 kbits upload. But back on topic, I was recently recieving free extended basic cable do to error on comcasts end I believe. At first I thought it was included with the apartment building I am in, but one day, it has turned off. My question is this: can Comcast tell if non digital cable is being used in a household without being billed? Also, is there any way to unscramble basic cable from the jack instead of the locked cable switchboard on site. I understand that it is merely a switch of sorts from the cable box.

Username: Marty_mcfly

jeeeez... quit arguing and just realize that the whole issue here is the fact that the cable companies are "raping" the customers with outragious over charging and expect them to just take it keep quiet. I don't know about you, but do you really expect everyone to keep their mouths shut after being "raped"? So here's my logic... lower prices = no more raping, which in turn means happier customers and less "hacking". So until the "raping" stops, "hack" away, my fellow "rapees"! Well... that's the way the Doc explained it to me :-)

Username: Redneck_mud_runner

Shelton, WA Mason

OK, this is what pisses me off, i have Comcast and subscribe to Digital Plus , HBO, and Starz, I have a moto 3412 DVR.
i also have High speed and Digital Voice.
Ok, for this i pay a little over $150.00 a month, that is a little high, but they have to maintain and upgrade their eqipment and lines, pay for labor, and other stuff.
not to mention they have to pay for the right to re-transmit the programming and networks they get off C-Band.
so we are paying for all that already.
then along come people that steal cable, ok so the cable company has to find a way to stop it, then the theif gets around it, this has gone on and on for years, snd the extra operating cost and lost revenue gets passed onto those of us who pay for our cable honestly.
i bet that if comcast could get by with minimal security and everyone who watched their cable was honest and paid for it our bills would be 25% or (or more) less per month but that will never happen in this society.
theives will continue to get smarter, comcast will comtinue to spend more and more on security
our cable bills will continue to increase.

Shelton, WA Mason

I have to agree with cable guy, if you cant afford cable then get rabbit ears or a good outside OTA antenna. or watch dvd's and vhs movies}

Now where's the fun in that? hmmmm, free cable... or pay out the rear for it. The first one sounds more appealing. Especially when there are only a few select channels that I like to watch... I sure as hell am not paying for all 100 something channels just so I can have the 5 that I like. The friggin cable is already plugged in for me since I have high speed internet, so I am confused about the part where "stealing" comes in.

Bronze Member
Username: Cabletool

Midwest

Post Number: 74
Well, I cant afford a Mercedes so I drive a Jeep. I dont go out and steal a Mercedes.
"Why should I pay 50K for this Mercedes?! Im just going to drive it around and listen to the radio? I can do the same thing in my jeep?! I guess Ill just have to steal it..."

Really, get a net flix account or get some OTA's. Either that or some morals and values. Last I heard theft was illegal.

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 5
The friggin cable is already plugged in for me since I have high speed internet, so I am confused about the part where "stealing" comes in.

Well, the stealing comes in where you are not paying for cable video, just the HSD
The only reason there is a cable signal going to your house is so the modem can connect to the headend.
The tv channels are trapped out so you cant watch them since you dont pay for them.

Your logic says that just because the PUD has wires running to my house and they are connected to the transformer that it wouldnt be theft if i go and bypass my meter so i get free electric, i mean why should i pay for power, the wires are there.
Knowingly receiving goods or services of value without paying, is theft, plain and simple

Post Number: 3
"Well, the stealing comes in where you are not paying for cable video, just the HSD
The only reason there is a cable signal going to your house is so the modem can connect to the headend.
The tv channels are trapped out so you cant watch them since you dont pay for them."

NOT TRUE... I HAD THE SIGNAL RUNNING TO IT EVER SINCE I MOVED IN. STEALIN? I DON'T THINK SO! THE SIGNAL HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR ME, NEVER TRAPPED.

TELL YA WHAT, I'LL SEND YOU A NEW MERCEDES WITH NO CONTRACT INVOLVED AND I WILL EXPECT YOU TO PAY ME FOR IT. OH WAIT... WHY DO THAT WHEN ITS ALREADY AT YOUR DOORSTEP? SO YEAH THATS MY LOGIC... PEOPLE SEND ME THINGS OR "SIGNALS" WITHOUT ASKING ME, WHY WOULD I PAY FOR THEN IF THEY ARE ALREADY THERE FOR ME TO USE? UNLESS I JUST LIKE TO SPEND MONEY FOR THINGS I DIDNT ASK FOR.

Username: Xanadu

Post Number: 9
"PEOPLE SEND ME THINGS OR "SIGNALS" WITHOUT ASKING ME, WHY WOULD I PAY FOR THEN IF THEY ARE ALREADY THERE FOR ME TO USE? "

So, you're PAYING for the video signal and not using it? Or you're paying for the HSD signal and assume that entitles you to the video signal as well?

You're a phuqing moron.

Post Number: 4
Not assuming anything. I just do it. The video signal is there and you expect me to just use "phuquing" rabbit ears???????

Who's the moron here? hahahahahaha

Post Number: 10
Well, at least I can sleep at night knowing no one's ever going to come knocking on my door in the middle of the night. And whether you want to believe it or not, it's just a matter of time before they catch on.

So... I guess that still makes you the moron, eh?

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 75
What is always funny is the flawed logic in people that knowingly take, use or steal what is not theres. Be it passively or aggresivly.

If there is video signal coming through the line because the tech didnt trap it out, which he should, then you actively took the line and plugged it into your tv knowing it is not a service that you are paying for.
Thats theft of service. There is a slight grey area there because if you couldnt care less and see no moral issue with it then even if they came to your home and put the trap in your housebox there is a good chance you would go out there, see the trap and take it off yourself and continue to steal the service.

I see your point and get what you are saying but they didnt come in, install your HSI then hook up your tvs as well. You did that. Shame on the tech for not trapping out the video, shame on you for having no morals or values, then coming here to brag about it and defend it.
Hopefully if you are older then 12 you are teaching your children or family different then what you are showing them.
Probably not though.

My wife is a teacher and her kids know her husband works for the cable company, they flat out tell her their parents steal cable. I couldnt be more ashamed if my son told his friends and teachers that his dad steals ANYTHING and then laughed about it. What kind of a role model would I be?

Regardless of how you rationalize it, regardless of how you precieve it, its theft, its punishable, your actively hooking up to a service you are not paying for or subscribed to and are fully aware of it.
How that makes it right in your book is what is inherintly wrong with half the population today.
Nobody owes you shiitt.

No they don't, your're right about that. I don't remember saying anything like that, though you are welcome to put words into my mouth if you want.

Jeeez this gonna go on forever isn't it?

Somehow we brought morals and values into a conversation about cable. Shame on you!
Biaaaatch!

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 76
No.. we brought morals and values into a conversation about stealing cable.. hence the title of the thread "Any way of hacking digital cable"

And no.. you never said you were "owed it" you just eluded to it.

"free cable... or pay out the rear for it. The first one sounds more appealing. Especially when there are only a few select channels that I like to watch... I sure as hell am not paying for all 100 something channels just so I can have the 5 that I like."

Username: Santa_clause

This is an interesting thread - I can't believe I read the whole thing. A few comments;

Are cable rates too high? yes

Are people going to steal cable? yes

Is it wrong to steal cable? yes

Can cable boxes be hacked? yes

Are there idiots out there with a degree in engineering? yes

Are there people out there that claim to know a lot more than they do? yes

Most people with knowledge either state the facts or are quiet - they don't spout off about how much they know or argue with someone in a thrread such as this. It's immature actually. Funny - but immature. Hey - I read it all.

Is Scooby an uptight, foul mouthed, defensive, self absorbed pr!ck who seems to infer something is being said against him? yes

Are there people out there getting cable that they aren't paying for by no fault of their own? yes

Is this wrong? IMO - no

Are people on this site going to band together and form a group to pool their skills in order to "Stick it to the cable companies" - no considering a lot of the posts within this thread came from people that are employed by the cable companies.

Are there people out there that think Mercedes are too expensive but think they deserve one so they steal - yes every day

Is anyone that posted in this thread owed free cable - no

Is the comment from the Tooth Fairy hilarious - yes

Something/anything/everything is only worth what someone will pay for it. The cable companies are getting paid for their services. They sit in conference rooms trying to decide what more they can offer and charge more and get a leg up on their competitor - the few that there are. Sorry but that's the American way. Build a better mousetrap and people will beat a path to your door. Provide these services (or for that matter less services) for less and you can do it too. Problem is, (some) companies get too big and too greedy or too beholden to their stockholders. Keep in mind - most of the companies discussed within this thread are public companies that have to show continued profit and/or growth in order to retain/gain investors.

Until and unless some you out there begin to believe in the Tooth Fairy and Me you will never really be happy - just look at the anger in this thread. You've all been bad and will not get anything but a lump of coal come this Christmas.

Shame on you - go get a life - and stop this post for heaven's sake...(even though I added to it)

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 12
as for those of you who steal analog cable either by sneaking out in the middle of the night to the box or pole (which, by the way you do in an effort to not get caught STEALING because you know it's WRONG)
or those of you who take advantage of an oversight by the tech who forgot to trap out the video,

Your game will be over soon because over the next few years there will be less and less analog service, and by 2009 it will be all digital and reqire an STB to get anything.

Here in my area we have already started phasing out analog cable a couple channels at a time and will keep doing so until there is no more, and you are SOL.

Good luck trying to hack the headend so your personal STB (probably STOLEN too) will work

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 13
"free cable... or pay out the rear for it. The first one sounds more appealing. Especially when there are only a few select channels that I like to watch... I sure as hell am not paying for all 100 something channels just so I can have the 5 that I like."

So does this mean that since I want a couple beers when I get home from work, but I dont plan to drink a whole 12 pack and since the store I go to dont sell them one at a time that I should just steal them?

this is my point, if I buy a 12 pack I will eventually drink it all

if you pay for 100 channels to get 5 you will at some point watch more than just the 5 favorites

I have about 260 channels. Do I watch them all every day, NO. Does comcast owe me something because I paid for them and didnt use them all everyday, NO. I am paying for the variety and conviniance of the programming that is offered.

If I really only want to pay for a couple beers and the store I am at only sells 12 packs it is my problem to drive to one that sells them 1 at a time.

If I really only want to pay for 5 channels then it is my problem to select a programming provider that offers cable channels al-a-carte (1 at a time) like C-Band Satellite, they still have lots of free channels, and if you get a VCRS or Digicypher Module you can find providers that offer a-la-carte services

Post Number: 6
HAHA... it's amazing how easy it is to piss poeple off about such insignificant blah! It has me laughing pretty good. Thank you all :-)

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 235
JT has so many accounts and aliases he forgets what he himself has written. I doubt you could hack a stalk of celery much less an STB. For anyone that steals you reap what you sow. For anyone that buys an STB from E-Bay you get what you deserve. For anyone that thinks they can hack a cable company front end from an STB, you need an education. For the educated posters in this thread I applayd you and your courage to continue to argue with the remaining dimwits.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 15
amen to that!!

Scooby Doo u are a fu**ing tart
in the UK cable as been hacked for years DIGITAL so stfu already no one wants to hear you BS about something thats already BEEN DONE. Just because u cant do it means nothing. for all the others that have done it they know what i'm talking about

Username: Chip_douglas

Sterling hts, Mi Usa

I found a site that lists step by step on how to hack a digital box. It took only a hours worth of work and a trip to radioshack but I am happy with the results. Here is the site www.!@#$XX.com

Username: Santa_clause

Snoop wrote "JT has so many accounts and aliases he forgets what he himself has written."

I'm not sure what you are referring to as this is the first time I've come to this site and my one and only post. A poor attempt at an insult - rather childish really. This post has now become nothing more that hurling insults back and forth - not what it was originally intended for - but humorous nonetheless. I'll leave it there - hurl all you want Snoop. Oh, and by the way - if you read my post I said nothing about hacking STB's. You are correct however when you state I couldn't hack an STB - I never claimed to know how - but I'm sure I could hack a stalk of celery...

"...applayd..." ??? Sorry - had to add that.

Mike - I've heard rumors for years about the al-a-cart style cable where a customer could pick and choose which channels they wanted and only pay for those - a good idea but I don't see it in this area - wish I did. Most of us are exactly like you - we have 100 channels of sh!t to choose from and only really want a half dozen or so but are forced into buying the whole load of crap to get those few we want. As I said - if someone could get the revenue to start a new service like that...a better mousetrap. I liked the beer analogy though - good one. If you need help finishing off that six pack....

Marty - it seems Snoop is in a perpetual state of being pissed off - makes for a rather large target. I find it funny as well.

Have a nice day all.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 19
When I was talking about al-a-carte service I was refering to C-Band satellite (the BIG DISH method)
there is a world of legal ITC (in the clear, or, Free) feeds there and you can easily find programming providers that offer channels al-a-carte

I, personally, have never heard of al-a-carte being offered on cable. it might come to pass someday on all digital, but as far as analog it would not be feasible, imaging a customer that they only wanted analog channels lets say 2-13 then 36 then 48 then 52 then 64.

The tech would be stuck installing a series of narrow-banded traps, and there would need to be a truck roll everytime someone wanted to add or remove a channel, not to mention that the tap location would be a tangled mess (worse than they already are) of coax and traps.

That will never happen on analog cable, but then again analog cable is on its way out the door anyways

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 236
Studio,

Then please feel free to post in this thread how it is done. Many people will appreciate your effort. Eh? What was that? You are unable to do that? What a surprise!!

Poor children in the UK are starving for digital cable and studio is on here wasting bandwidth.

:-)

xvxvxvx

Username: Yechi7

North Miami Beach, FL United States

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just want to see what you all feel on this:

Comcast is making its money on selling access to FREE channels. (Let's exclude HBO, PPV, etc., for the sake of simplicity.)

Comcast doesn't own the channel content, just their own "access system." Dish & Direct TV came up with their own version of "access" which they sell &, again, they make money from the FREE channels. Antennas provide another "access system" for the FREE channels.

If the FREE channels don't mind being accessed by a variety of methods &, on the contrary, they want to be accessed & seen by as many people as possible, & it's not considering stealing when Comcast, Dish & Direct TV takes these FREE signals from the sources. Then why is it stealing if people access these signals in order to watch the FREE channels?

I'm trying to come up with an analogy: Let's say that, for health reasons, the city government of Miami decides to provide FREE water to its inhabitants. They actually WANT you to consume this FREE water. Along comes Comcast Water Company, pulls up its trucks to the water fountain in the center of the city, fills up its trucks & takes it back to the company, buys access to the city's water system, puts on filters on everyone's plumbing into their houses, then tries to charge money to remove the filters so the Miami inhabitants can access the FREE water that the city government of Miami had decided to give away in the first place. If people go outside to remove the filters in order to get the FREE water which the city wanted them to get for FREE to begin with, is that stealing? Not a perfect analogy, but I tried.

What do you all think?

Dovid

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 77
Who told you that channels were free? Exclude your premiums as you say. Most all content is PAID FOR. You can exclude the premium channels and PV if you like but all other content outside of that is also paid for.
ESPN for example has a HUGE price tag because people like you and me like to watch sports.
Every year ESPN can up thier price by 23% of they desire. And EVERY SINGLE YEAR they have upped thier price by 23%.
Any provider who drops them do to gouging will also loose all the sports fanatics. Thats why Comcast owns a lot of sports content and tried to buy Disney. If you cant afford them , Own em.

So Comcast is paying 25million a year to provide ESPN and some yahoo with a wrench goes out at midnight and hooks himself up.
On top of that this thread is about hacking digital boxes.. no one is hacking a box to get their local channels off of it.

Your water analogy bites because water isnt a luxury.

Username: Coventry

so..........can anyone tell me how to hack digital cable?

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 78
Apparently not. A lot of jackasses can tell you that they ARE hacking digital boxes.. but oddly enough, no one can illustrate how they do it.

Stop being so naive people..

Username: Chip_douglas

Sterling hts, Mi Usa

here is the link to hack a box step by step www.---------.com

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 965
Why not just print your own money and then you can pay for everything? Oh wait...that's against the law too. Damn it's not fair!

Ya'll are killing me here lol

Printing money heh nah it's not the same as cable theft. No matter what you goodie 2 shoes say piracy hurts noone. This society and country is run by corporations and stock holders who are just plain greedy. This didnt stop with the cable company who just happen to be the only service available in my whole state. So now I have a greedy monopoly to deal with just to watch frikkin TV. I'd rather have it all for nothing than a little for a fortune. Don't listen to the cable guys hear fellaz, they are just afraid of it costing them their pathetic jobs. Anything can be hacked. Remember these words.... If man makes it, man breaks it. Never stop innovation even if it costs the cable guy his job.

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 79
What the hell world am I living in lately?

"goodie 2 shoes?
"piracy hurts no one"
"costing them their pathetic jobs"

Hey neighbor... FUCH OFF.

And please, no one is costing me my job. Pretty much everyday I cut illegal drops. As I see them peer out form behind a curtain or flip one of their blinds to watch me. The second I cut the line I hear a noise from the home.
Im sure you guys get all ballsy online but when we are at your home or cutting you your all meek little kids cowering in your homes afraid of any kind of confrontation because you all know its ethically wrong and illegal.

Freaking hilarious. Thanks for the daily laughs howver my humble lot of degenerates!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
"This society and country is run by corporations and stock holders who are just plain greedy."

I happen to be a stockholder. I don't think I'm greedy, I just don't want to be eating cat food when I'm 80.

The greedy people are the people who steal stuff because they expect everything should be free. Yet I'd bet my house you never once volunteered your time to help a community project. Your time is valuable, but everything else should be free, right?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 969
Quoting Jay:
Printing money heh nah it's not the same as cable theft.
They are both a Federal crime, what's different?
No matter what you goodie 2 shoes say piracy hurts noone.
If being a goody 2 shoes means being honest and not stealing, I'll wear that badge with honor. As for it not hurting anyone, well I don't know of anybody going to the hospital, but theft hurts everyone no matter what the stolen product is.
This society and country is run by corporations and stock holders who are just plain greedy.
It's called Capitalism, don't hate the game just because you can't play by the rules
This didnt stop with the cable company who just happen to be the only service available in my whole state.
So you're telling me you can't get satellite in your state? What planet do you live on anyway?
So now I have a greedy monopoly to deal with just to watch frikkin TV. I'd rather have it all for nothing than a little for a fortune.
Now doesn't that make you greedy too? You'd rather have it all sounds pretty greedy to me
Don't listen to the cable guys hear fellaz, they are just afraid of it costing them their pathetic jobs.
Actually the word is here, hear = something your ears do. I'm not afraid if costing me my job. I've been in the business over 21 years now, my job isn't going anywhere. My job may be pathetic in somebody else's opinion, but it's not so pathetic that I have to steal something because I can't afford it.
Anything can be hacked.
Yes anything can be hacked...the bigger question is are smart enough to do it, and are you dumb enough to think we don't know when it's being done?
You talk a big game, but the bottom line is nobody has provided any information on how to beat the system. Satellite systems are easily hacked, at least from what I hear (<-proper use of the word) maybe you could get one to ease your suffering lol.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 26
Damnit Cableguy after I read the post from Jay I wanted to tell him what I thought of it but you done took the words right out of my mouth, lol.

What is with all these people that think they deserve free cable just because it's a little spendy, the reason it is more costly than it should be is because of people like them stealling it.

Just like in the local supermarket the honest people have to pay more because of the damn theivs

Username: Nocableforme

I have insight cable and it has been disconnected for months now, only the company never came to pick up the box nor did it unhook my cable on the outside. I still have my cable internet (now a 10 meg connection) and my basic digital cable, with local HD stations. Now, I realize that I have either slipped through some loophole here, or they just aren't very good at this stuff. Previously I was with Comcast in another location, and if your cable was cancelled they could shut off your digital box and cable modem without unhooking from the outside. So what is to stop me from hacking this box, since it is obviously not communicating with the "headender?" Any thoughts on this, and how do I do it?

Username: Nocableforme

I have insight cable and it has been disconnected for months now, only the company never came to pick up the box nor did it unhook my cable on the outside. I still have my cable internet (now a 10 meg connection) and my basic digital cable, with local HD stations. Now, I realize that I have either slipped through some loophole here, or they just aren't very good at this stuff. Previously I was with Comcast in another location, and if your cable was cancelled they could shut off your digital box and cable modem without unhooking from the outside. So what is to stop me from hacking this box, since it is obviously not communicating with the "headender?" Any thoughts on this, and how do I do it?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 244
"So what is to stop me from hacking this box, since it is obviously not communicating with the "headender?"

Only your technical ability and the laws of physics.

xvxvxvx

Username: Kennethnnj

Northern NJ

Silly me... Already have basic cable from Cablevision in Northern NJ and bought a SA Explorer 4200 on ebay with a cablevision card... hooked it up to the TV & coaxle cable wire and plugged it in hoping to get the same channels I get on my cablevision provided SA 4200HD box I have in another room, instead I got no signal and all the display on the box would say was 'boot' and some random symbols that kept flashing. I tried reading through some of the posts on this thread and find my self more lost as I am a novice at this stuff (and thats being polite to myself). Any ideas on how I can get the box I bought to give me a TV signal with the same channels I have on my "legal" box, or better yet some additional channels?
Thanks VM

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 249
Kenneth,

You really didn't read this thread now did you?
If you had you would not have posted, you would have known you purchased a nice shiny doorstop and not a set top box.

Better luck next time,

xvxvxvx

Username: Cozofdeath

I'm completely new to this. Actually this is the first thread I have ever read on this this topic but is there a way to flash the NV memory? Just like a BIOS can be flashed. Perhaps by the debug port?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 253
anon,

To what end? What would you hope to accomplish?

xvxvxvx

Username: Zoid

Reedsburg, WI United States

Board newbie here, and not a techie. I'm getting (and paying for) digital cable, the box is a Motorola DCT2224. I just bought a new 37" Sharp LCD.

I hooked it up to the raw cable first, and all the analog channels were pretty crummy. Thing is, I could tune in four HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS) with just the TV tuner, and they were spectacular. But now, hooked up using the cable box, the regular channels are fine, but the HD channels have dissapeared.

Now, I wouldn't feel too guilty if I were to receive these HD channels, without paying extra to subscribe to my provider's "HD" tier, because I understand that these networks are providing of their prime-time programming in HD over the air. And if these networks are providing HD in their regular programming, and I'm paying for these channels, why should the cable company have a right to rat-hole the HD from them, and resell it as part of a more expensive package? Are they paying more when the networks broadcast HD over the air? I doubt it.

I could, of course, just undo and reconnect the cables when I want to watch these four HD channels. Anybody know of an easier way? Or am I a "thief" for wanting the HD from channels that I'm already paying for? I would gladly trade them back the shopping, Spanish, and Jesus channels that I don't want.

I'm already kinda ticked off that this DCT2224 doesn't support stereo sound. Do I have to pay extra for that, too? Are they going to start charging us separately for color? Gee, I can't wait for them to raise my rates again, and justify it by giving me the Jehovah Witness channel, and maybe some Portuguese soap operas, too.

Seriously, anybody know an easy way I can use these four HD channels?

If possible to activate descrambling or to change/modify settings like the payment info. Similar to cable modem pirating, bios, phones, etc. Many times you can flash and unlock/modify things to get better service. I'm guessing thats what boxes like http://www.baseops.net/descrambler/ have done. Except flashing they just have the chips programmed themselves. Also wouldn't it be possible to get a cable filter/high frequency filter and only install it when you want to watch a pay per view movie then uninstall it and clear the ROM/RAM via a button configuration or more extreme, remove the battery/power. Another thing is it legal and would any cable companies actually allow a descrambler box like the one I posted? Sorry for the amount of questions. Any answers are much appreciated. BTW - This is purely for educational purposes; I'm definitely not going to try any of this.

Username: Monodex

USA

Zoid wrote:

"I could, of course, just undo and reconnect the cables when I want to watch these four HD channels. Anybody know of an easier way?"

Buy a 2-way splitter and split the cable input. Feed one leg to the TV RF input and that gets you the HDTV channels.
Feed the other leg to your DCT2224. Connect the DCT2224 to your TV via component input, composite input, S-Video, whatever's available on both your TV and DCT2224. Then you can set your TV to this input and watch the regular channels.
You can swap between the two types of input using your remote.

Username: Res88qe1

Blue ridge, Texas USA

You guys are idiot thieves! kind of like some of my family members..........

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 257
Anon,

The short answer is you could perform all the actions outlined in your lengthy reply to me but it would not achieve your goal. Two way communication is required and you would need to hack into the headend of the cable system itself, good luck with that.

xvxvxvx

Why would you have to do that? If there are decryption seed keys in the unit itself and the unit at some point must unscrambled the media. Also does the data get encrypted or scrambled again before it must go back to the company? I'm just trying to understand the process. It seems there is very little about details online.

bk - Signing up to a forum only to post people are thieves and idiots only makes your self look dumb. Especially when people are just talking about how something works.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 258
Anon,

Why is the sky blue? Why do we build bridges over water when boats are readily available? Why does a rock fall up and not down?

Because the cable company must read a hard encoded serial number designation from your box.

Allow me to anticipate your response: Couldn't I just spoof that serial number? Eventually your time will outweigh the value of your effort. Just like this thread.......

xvxvxvx

You have no clue.

Why the sky is blue
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html

Why build bridges
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/bridges.htm

Oh look, link to people who know what their talking about and can actually explain it. Your useless just like this forum.

Gold Member
Username: Satscanner

Beaversbush, Sportsmans P... Great White ...

Post Number: 1839
Cablecom digital codes broken by hackers // 2007-03-24
ZURICH (AFX) - Hackers have cracked encryption codes used by Swiss cable operator Cablecom and digital television technology group Kudelski SA, and released them on the internet, Sunday newspaper Sonntagszeitung reported.

'Pirates' can transfer the codes to a digital TV decoder, a so-called Dreambox DN 500c, giving them free access to a wide range of subscriber content.

Dreamboxes are legally for sale in stores.

Kudelski chief executive Andre Kudelski told the paper that the group's 'nagravision' encryption system, which has been around for six years, has also come under attack: 'We are dealing with an attack on the first generation of digital systems (using this encryption)'.

Kudelski and Cablecom intend to sue individuals breaking the law in this manner; currently four cases of criminal proceedings are pending in Switzerland

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1073
In US and Canada they use Power*VU by Scien*tific At*lanta

Username: Badguy865

Detroit, Michigan United States

i fond a comcast motorola digital cable box i want to use it but i dont kno how when i hooked it up the screen is just black is there a way to use it or should i just toss it .....by the way i dont pay for my cable

and could some one send me the link bust875@yahoo.com

Username: John_bonham

Let's assume, hypothetically, that someone borrows a digital cable box from a friend and uses it with his/her own non-digital cable (basic cable only). First, would this actually work? Let's assume the person currently subscribes to basic cable, but does not have digital cable. I was wondering if someone else's programmed digital box would give the person who borrows the box digital cable (since the digital cable box is already programmed). Hypothetically.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 35
Well, Mike, this is possible to work, but it depends on several factors.

Mainly if you and your buddy have the same cable provider, but also how far you are from your buddys house. if you have expanded basic and you borrow a STB from your neighbor it should work at your house. Sometimes, even if the box is registered to an address across town, it will work, (i have taken mine to work 2.5 miles away and it worked fine)

But in some cities the box is registered to a specific node on the network (usually a neighborhood) and will not work on another node elsewhere in the system.

To sum this up, if the box lives elsewhere in your neighborhood, there is a excellent chance it will work. If it lives across town, there is a fair chance. If it is from another town, there is little or no chance it will work. And if it from a different cable system it will absolutely NOT work (i.e. a Comcast STB on a Charter signal)

The best way for you to test this is to try it, you might be happy with the results. Good Luck!

Now, I gave this advice to someone who I believe actually wants to share digital cable (and the bill) with their buddy and it is agreed to both parties (just so you know that Comcast, or other cable providers, would not agree with you doing this.)

As for the bloodsucking lowlife parasite that reads this and gets the idea to go and steal an STB from someones house and use it yourself, it wont work loser. As soon as the victim reports the theft to the police, or the cable company it will no longer work and you will have committed a nice little set of FELONIES and you will have a Motorola boat anchor. Plus you will get caught and go to jail.

Username: Joshfarc

I really don't care too much about hacking, thought it intrigues me what people can do. I was just wondering, I have a motorolla dct2224 and have hbo and cinemax channels paid for at my house. About a year ago, I moved out(from my parents, sad but true) with a couple of friends. They had the same comcast cable and same boxes, and had no hbo, no cinemax, but they did have starz and showtime. When i hooked mine up, same house, same cable, I recieved HBO and CINEMAX, but no showtime or starz. After a year of living there nothing has changed, channels are still the same for me, hbo and cinemax. So I guess each box has a card programmed in it...or something, that can be programmed...cuz it has nothing to do with the cable running into your house, its the chip/something in the box that blocks or allows stuff. I am an UNhacker....not a hacker, so I may sound retarted, and I'm sure everyone knows this already. I just thought it was interesting when it happened...glad cuz i got to keep watching the end of the sopranos, lol. Anyway let me know of anything that some intermediate comp users like myself can do for these cable boxes.

joshfarcone@hotmail.com

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 42
Well Josh, you are more right than wrong there, the cable into the house has nothing to do with the channels you get (for digital cable anyways.)

You got lucky and your STB worked at a different location, and should continue to do so. You see when you subscribe to a channel the cable company sends a signal out of band to your boxes to authorize that channel, the signal is sent throughout the entire network, but only the box that it is aimed at (by serial #) will respond to it. So your box is still receiving the channels that it would at your parents house, because it still 'sees' the signals from the headend, and as long as your parents don't take it off their account it will work fine.

As far as trying to replicate these 'signals' with you PC, or getting into the STB with your PC it cannot be done.

Username: Kayvee

I am in the same dilemma. But my box is located in S. Florida and I was wanting to use it at college in Alabama. We have comcast extended and highspeed internet already in alabama...the box has comcast everything including every premium...so would my set-top box work up there or no? Is there a way to get it to work?

Username: Jqp364

One of those, too., Yes, definit... The more cun...

Scooby Doo:

I have news for you, dude. Engineer or not, you have no clue. As mentioned above, you can't say in one breath that ROM is read only, then in another say that it is used to temporarily store movie order information. You can't have it both ways.

There are other kinds of "non-volatile" memory, but they aren't called ROM. So read a book or something before you try to teach others, okay? I have been a computer technician probably since before you got out of elementary school, and it is obvious from your postings that you don't know squat.

You claim to be good, but if you are even typical of the quality of engineer the cable companies hire, then it is no wonder they feel they have a privacy problem.

There is another issue that nobody has addressed here: that of the cable companies' own breaking of the law. You talk about the companies polling their equipment for info about ordered movies. Well, folks, guess what? THAT, TOO, IS AGAINST FEDERAL LAW!!!

The Electronic Privacy Protection Act of 1986 specifically states that it shall be ILLEGAL for any party to use electronic means to determine ANYTHING I do in my home, without explicit prior permission, or a judicial warrant. That means not just cable companies, but police too.

Polling my cable box is a violation of this law.

So if you are going to complain about people breaking laws, you had better pull your head out of your own rear, and look at the laws your own companies are violating FIRST!

Now, there *is* a clause about "prior permission". But anybody out there, tell me: does your cable contract specifically state, even in the fine print, that you give them permission to conduct electronic surveillance of your home? NO? Then they are breaking the law. Period.

Scooby Doo, you need to both get an education, and clean up your own house before you start pissing on those of others.

Of course you are free to claim I don't know what I am saying, as you have with others before, but dude, you are going to have to start backing up your accusations with verifiable facts. So far you have not done so. It is pretty easy to tell from the postings of others that you have no credibility here, and that is the way it should be. It is your own fault for spouting "corporate hard-line" misinformation.

And if you want cable companies to stop getting ripped off, maybe you could do something to keep them from ripping off others, FIRST. That is called "Karma"!

Reply all you want, but I will not respond. I have read plenty of your postings already, and you have nothing to say to me that I do not already know more about than you do.

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 80
"There is another issue that nobody has addressed here: that of the cable companies' own breaking of the law. You talk about the companies polling their equipment for info about ordered movies. Well, folks, guess what? THAT, TOO, IS AGAINST FEDERAL LAW!!! "

What a complete idiot. I guess its illegal for the water company to monitor your water usage? The electric company to monitor your electrical usage inside your home, the phone company to keep track of the numbers you call and the charges incurred?

No jackhole, its not illegal for the cable company to poll THEIR BOX to retrieve information about PURCHASED MOVIES so they can be billed.

Its hilarious that someone will actually quote a federal law in a thread about stealing cable.. and not only that but interpret it so backwards that it blows any virtual credibility that might have been gained in the first place.

KUDOS JOHN Q JERKOFF!

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1235

Its his first post. Pal, you can do whatever you feel like at the privacy of your home. Very soon you'll get cable service via satellite. Be patient it will be freedom from hooking it to utility line. Then you can hack as much as you want. Hottest hack today is satellite.

Some city, somewhere., The state th... USA. Go USA!

Cable Tool: No, it is not illegal for the water company to monitor your water usage, because you have state laws and local ordinances that allow them to do so. (For example, the water company usually has an easement, by law, to enter your yard and read the meter.)

Cable companies have no such laws going for them. Repeat: It is ILLEGAL for ANYONE, including law enforcement, to use ANY electronic means to observe what you are doing in your own home. And yes, that includes the cable movies you have ordered. The key word here is "any".

The ONLY exceptions are prior permission, and a judicial warrant. And this is a Federal law, not subject to local ordinances or state law.

Does your cable agreement contain a clause allowing them to electronically monitor your home? Mine sure as heck does not. And that means they are breaking the law.

You do not know anything about me. Calling me an idiot does not make me one. Look up the laws yourself. Most people might not know about it, and some cable companies ignore it, but that does not mean that it does not exist. The law does exist, and there are some very, very good reasons behind it.

Cable Tool: I want to explain just a bit more.

I understand your reasoning, but what you say above is simply false. Unless you sign a waiver saying that they can access the cable box, they are indeed breaking the law.

I am aware that this seems to violate common sense, from the point of view of the cable company. However, the law came about because of privacy concerns. Corporate profit motive does not trump privacy concerns -- or privacy laws.

The consumer has legitimate privacy concerns. For example, what if (I admit that at this time the idea is silly... this is just a hypothetical "what if") the cable company wanted to install a webcam-like device in the cable box, in order to see that nobody was fooling with their equipment? Would the consumer want to know about it? And know when they were being viewed?

Obviously that is not being done, but you get the idea. The courts decided that the line should be drawn at "any". ANY electronic monitoring of what I do in my home. And once again, if you don't believe that, you are welcome to look it up.

I should have added: If a cable company wants to poll a box in someone's home, all they have to do, in order to comply with the law, is to have the customer sign a piece of paper that gives them permission to do so. Some cable companies include this in the "fine print" on the back of their cable agreement. It only takes a sentence or two. But most that I know of do not. My local cable company does not.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 285
I normally ignore idiots but in your case Jane I will make an exception. As others have mentioned there is no such Federal law you describe, if you think it exists link to it in your next dumb message. As far as my posts about ROM and polling your movie data you are picking and choosing different respones to different questions.

The reason you are a tech is because you have no understandg of how electronic design really works. I taught engineering at BC for 18 years and have never worked for a cable company. I then worked for Raytheon and was the project engineer for the Patriot missile system. I doubt your credentials exceed opening the back of a TV and blowing out the dust.

Get your info correct or go trolling elsewhere.

xvxvxvx

Scooby Doo:

I re-read the comments up above, and I see that I attributed a comment by CableGuy to you. My apologies.

The comment in question was: "[ROM = ] Types of memory that retain their contents when power is turned off. ROM is nonvolatile, whereas RAM is volatile. This term often refers to the CMOS memory in PCs that holds the BIOS."

Yes ROM is, nonvolatile. That is why it is not usable for temporary storage, such as movies viewed. And the BIOS in older PCs was stored in battery-backed RAM, not ROM. Newer machines use flash memory, which does retain its contents with no power applied, but that is still not ROM. There is no doubt that CableGuy was wrong about his details, which is what that was all about.

Accidentally attributing the statement to you, though, was just a simple mistake; it does not mean I am "trolling".

Having stated that, I will also say that you know nothing about my expertise or lack thereof. Yes, I am a certified "tech" because I took the necessary exams to get certified, and then further earned the title at work. But that is not all I am; I make my money as a software engineer.

Before you go around calling people idiots, you should find out something about them. Otherwise you could end up looking like an idiot yourself. We wouldn't want that now, would we?

As for the other thing: it is easy enough to say someone is wrong, harder to back it up. Being an engineer OR a cable company employee does not make you an expert in law. (Nor does being a software engineer, but I had cause to research this particular subject a few years ago. Have you done the same?)

When I stated that CableGuy was wrong, I backed it up a few paragraphs ago with factual statements about what ROM really is, and is not. Where are your facts to back up your position? Do you have any?

I was just pointing something out as a matter of courtesy. You can disbelieve it all you want. I am under no obligation to prove it to you. And why should I, when you have already called me an idiot without bothering to look it up yourself? And... hmmmm... how is it that I know you have not looked it up?

Seems to me, if you call someone an idiot and say they are full of sh*t, the burden of proof, if any, is on you. That's the way it works in the rest of the civilized world. Why should you be any different?

Username: Ihatecommies

Jane,

I think that argument about the Electronic Privacy Protection Act is a stretch. But then again, I'm not entirely sure which act you're referring to. It seems, Google hasn't heard of the "Electronic Privacy Protection Act of 1986." There is the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986, but that basically deals with information being intercepted. In this case, the data stored in the STB is INTENDED to be transmitted to the cable provider. Not intercepted. I suspect, however, that you're referring to the the Electronic Privacy Protection Act (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.112:) from 2001. In this case, it does say that no one has the right to intentionally receive electronic data from a device without the consent of the primary user. However, nowhere does it specify that the consent must be received in written form. In fact, it doesn't specify a required means of receiving that consent, and I imagine that's for the courts to determine. Any precedent?

I think cable providers are completely in the right, because all the data they are receiving can reasonably be assumed to have been sent with the user's consent. After all, if you order a PPV and you are aware that it's going to cost you (i.e. you consent to being charged), then how can you expect to be charged without also consenting to inform the cable company of that purchase? It's not a reasonable conclusion, it's a necessary one. Now, if they were monitoring how much of every channel you watch or at what times you watch each channel and they receive that data in a form that can be directly linked to you, then they're at fault, because you can't reasonably assume the layman would know that's going on.

The webcam example would no doubt be illegal too, but not because of its ability to monitor tampering so much as its ability to monitor everything else in its line of sight. Pretend there was something built in that could monitor only tampering. (Of course, with a reasonably small error...I mean, nothing's perfect, so how can you REALLY monitor just for tampering? It has to be a device that was clearly designed exclusively for that purpose.) So long as the STB is labeled such that the user ought to know they're not authorized to tamper with it, then tampering falls outside of what's considered normal use of the STB, and since the Act only protects "users," well, guess what?

Of course, we can't argue unless we're talking about the same thing. So if you're referring to some other Act, let us know specifically what it is. Maybe link to the exact verbiage.

And for all the "moral" cable employees out there,

I don't understand why anyone ever attempts to call someone else immoral. By your moral code, yes, their method of cable procurement (sorry, necessarily avoiding loaded verbiage..."stealing") is immoral, but clearly, they see otherwise. Only psychopaths are admittedly immoral. Everyone else is...here we go..."differently moral." Some see it as a petty theft. Stealing a few pennies from the rich guy. After all, they can benefit from that service a lot more than the already wealthy company can from their subscription fee, right? ;) Don't answer so fast; there's no clear-cut answer. It's justified to them in a utilitarian world. Of course, you'll probably be quick to point out that legally, there is a clear-cut answer, but I think most people try to tackle this from a moral perspective. Unless, they're a bit over-ambitious. Unfortunately for you cable people, from the individual perspective, morality trumps legality.

Let's be honest, though. Any cable worker that's out there snipping people's illegal hookups is not doing it on account of their moral beliefs. They're doing it for personal gain (it's their job!), just as much as the people "stealing" cable are doing that for personal gain. Therefore, it's no wonder that their morality is consistent with their actions. It's called cognitive dissonance. Would you feel the same way if you had never worked for the cable company? Maybe, maybe not.

As to the possibility of whether cable can be hacked...

Why are we arguing about this? Of course it can. Anything can, and as far as I've seen everyone agrees with that. The real question is, is it practical to do so? In almost all areas, there's more to it than just fiddling with the STB or the cable line. We're talking investing in (possibly expensive) equipment and with very few exceptions, the answer seems to be no. Can we all agree on that?

Finally, all those flames (and not just from Scooby Doo)...

If you're trying to convince someone of something, why call them an idiot? Imagine if an attorney addressed the jury as "idiots." It's just a primitive sort of "I'm better than you." C'mon, no doubt civilized people don't steal cable. But does the converse hold?

That's all.

NJP

NJP: I stand corrected. I did indeed confuse the two acts. Kudos for bothering to look it up.

However, consent CANNOT be assumed. You are correct that consent could be given in any form. But even though a verbal agreement is a legal contract, paper constitutes concrete evidence of that contract. Anyone who wants to cover their butt is sure to get it on paper.

I hardly think it is cut-and-dried that the cable company is in the right here. You use "reasonable" and "assume" but I do not necessarily agree. Yes, you send a request to the cable company for a movie. But that is a direct request... you are deliberately sending a signal out. As you say, it is reasonable to think that this would be legitimate. BUT... the cable company, strictly for their own profit motive (and in fact, for the express purpose of checking up on the customer), stores that information on the cable box and polls for it later. That is "surveillance", and it is a completely different matter.

For one thing, most cable users do not even know they do that. How can one assume consent to something that most customers do not even know about? So I do not think it is "reasonable" at all to believe that consumers give their consent.

Is it a big deal? Perhaps not. But again, there is the "foot in the door" principle. Where is the line to be drawn? There might be a qualititative difference between polling a box, and switching on a video camera, but legally (and ethically) the difference is thin or nonexistent because both are methods of electronic surveillance.

So technically, it is still illegal. That was my main point. At the same time, in the eyes of some consumers, "theft of service" could be argued to be a rather thin technical point.

If I inform the cable comapny that I have 4 televisions in 4 rooms, but I really have only 3 in my side of the duplex and I run a cable to the neighbor in the other side, am I stealing service? Probably, according to the law, even though I see no moral or ethical transgression. But that is a technicality you can be sure the cable company would squeal about.

So why should consumers not squeal in their own right, when the cable companies are "technically" breaking the law?

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 81
I think its HILARIOUS that you classify a cable company polling the box for PURCHASED MOVIES ( not everything ever watched..) as an illegal act.. but also state that running a line from your home to another home to offer them free cable SHOULDNT be illegal.

How you see no moral or ethical transgression in giving your neighbor illegal cable is beyond me. The number of outlets you have means nothing. Your service costs the same regardless of 2 or 20 outlets.

"But that is a technicality you can be sure the cable company would squeal about. "
Honestly? Youve really just descredited everything you spouted from sentence one with that like of thinking.
You running a line to your neighbor or your neighbor walking over and hooking themselves up is the same exact thing. Theft.
I love people with convenient morals and ethics.

Username: Wildcardii

MI United States

Scooby....what ticker said will work. I will not tell everyone how, but if you pm me, I can explain.

Jane....get real. Would it be ok to share your power, gas, and water with your neighbor?

Username: Redfishhunter

Johnson , Illinois Illinois

I hope somebody can help me.I have a TV tuner card in my Computer and I want to hook basic Cable up to my computer.I have a Scientific American Explorer 2200 and I want to split it out to my computer.
I know my Cable company has a filter that prevents me from getting the lower channels.I'm already purchasing Digital and I own the Cable Box. .At my last Apt I asked the cable man to remove the filter.Which he did as he was doing some other work.
I don't want to pay another CALL OUT FEE is the reason I'm asking.Yea I know I can climb the pole and yank the filter off myself Thanks in advance

Username: Ihatecommies

Jane:

I think I see your argument about the polling of the box. It's the whole client/server controversy, and in this case, the box is setup as the server and the cable provider's headend is the client. One client and multiple servers...yeah, it seems kind of backwards to me, but where does it say they can't do it that way? From what I've seen, the government only restricts the what, not the how. So as long as they're not taking data without your consent, the method is irrelevant. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. I just haven't seen anything that says it's illegal.

NJP

Username: Shellster

Well this argument seems to continue to spiral around, so I thought I would add my two bits. First of all, I am a computer science BS degree student. Currently on my Junior year. I also enjoy circuit design and embedded programming on the side. So, I guess you could say I am a computer scientist with a strong influence on computer engineering. Cable can be hacked. In olden days it was quite easy, but cable companies have gotten increasingly smarter. It is very difficult, bordering on impossible to hack now. Hardware hacks require that you remove the ROM chip on your box and replace it with some rewriteable EEPROM or some such thing. This alone is much more work than the average person wants to do. This is the easy part. Then you have to know how the signal is encrypted and have a decryption key. On top of that you have to spoof a working customer's box. These are not easy tasks. Trying to brute force a customer's setup is basically impossible which means you have to use your account. If you make a mistake, and somewhere you will make a mistake, the cable company will know that you are trying to steal cable, and you'll end up in prison for a very long time. If you really want to do cable hacking, then you should definitely go with a computer PVR card. If you really want to steal, which is wrong and I don't recommend it, cable isn't the way to go. Pick up a cheap satellite dish and a dvb card for your computer. There is both linux and windows filters already written. You can get upward of 500 digital channels for free off of one satellite. Furthermore, it is virtually untraceable.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 989
wow...lol,
what a great commercial for satellite:
Tired of trying to hack cable?? Buy dish* we're easy to hack
limited time offer, offer void in continental US and Canada.

Username: Hardtoremember

Using DHCPforce software on a open account... run it overnight, it will get mac address for all customers in about a 5 to 10 mile radius depending on the speed of the connection. Rewriting the firmware is not as hard as being implied. Firmware is updated by the "company". Once the firmware is re-written, and your list of mac address's, you now can "spoof" the address of those who have the service and not... it does not matter, as the firmware is written to not respond to the "question" the "company" is asking via the signal, they can sweep/test all day... it is not seen or tracked. If the "company" has the intel to check a specific area for a specific reason with a more intense sweep/test, they still will take more than 2 years to track via the spoofing methods of the firmware. This IS currently being done with cable modems and SOME boxes across the country and in Europe.

The morality of so called hacking/stealing a signal is to each his/her own. The "company" does not voluntarily return funds for a double charged account UNLESS the customer requests it (y2k bug that did not exist, but millions of cable customers double charged without return of funds) I was there for that and watched the "company" steal from their loyal customers. Was that or any other unethical business dealings these people do? We live in a corrupt world... live it as YOU see fit... and don't lets some house dog try and tell you otherwise.

By the way... earlier comment by T.P Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:13 pm

The phone wire you seen wrapped around your cable was an antenna to a EMP device. Probably an old bfriend/gfriend who is wanting to bother you, when they activate it, it will cause you to lose service... you would think someone with a lot of experience in the field would be able to identify something that simple.

Best Regards to all,

~HTR~

Username: Srchino

i have a motorola 3412 DVR box. any help on how to open up chanels. plz email me sr_chino13@yahoo.com thanx in advance...

Username: Philmiami

Miami, FL USA

I read thru this post.
Man you ppl are just whack.
1st, the boxes have EPROM. If you don't know, look it up.
2nd, thru the EPROM, programmed to a specific headend (region) by way of MAC.
If you don't know what a MAC is, look it up. There are NO TWO ALIKE ANYWHERE in the world. You can spoof an IP, but not a MAC. It's hardcoded in the equipment from the day it rolls of the assembly line. PERIOD. No way to spoof it as the boxes are not a 'true' pc with a operating system to direct the internal components like a PC sitting on your desk. Oh, I read somewhere earlier that old pc's used RAM and a battery...what a looser. NEVER happened. I was doing computers like the original 8086 chip IBM's before some of you were born. PC's always used ROM, hard coded with the BIOS. The battery was only to retain specific changes in the setup of the hardware for devices attached to the mother board (hard drive,video,etc). A chip is 1000's and 1000's of resistors on a silicon base directing the flow of electrons to perform ONE of TWO functions, ZERO or ONE, ON or OFF, and a computer, even those costing millions of dollars only do one of two things....0 for OFF and 1 for on. If you don't know machine code and think php or xml are the way things work, then you should learn a little more about electronics, electrical and computers.
Since you can NOT hack a cable box like a DTV card it makes for a problem. The scrambling of the channels is "programmed" to a SPECIFIC MAC on a SPECIFIC box. It takes a lot of coding, electronic knowledge and time to be able to hack a box. Not some software hack as like I said before, the box is NOT a true computer, it is "programmed" to ONLY do a specific set of instructions. Maybe some of you could do better is you were like the guy in the movie PAYCHECK, a reverse engineer. Then maybe you could hack it but any 'filter' hack is just that, a filter (resistor) on the cable line to BLOCK a specific frequency of electrical current at the stub up, to limit the amount of ELECTRICAL CURRENT going to customer. It does NOT free up digital signals as it still is electrical current and blocked. Unless the laws of physics for some unknown reason do not apply to you, digital and analog are electrons (electricity) and you can not 'filter' those to get more channels. If you think that "polling" is wire tapping on your house, you belong in an institute. Enough on that. I would like to hack my digital crapcastic box BUT I don't think I will. I know it is a hard coded "computer" (and I use that term loosely as it is like my cell phone 'computer' or my digital cordless home phone 'computer') and set to perform a specific function. It is more interactive in performing it's function that my microwave computer (performs a single task) it is still not a true computer. You can hack DirectTV cards, that's a given. They change the cipher every few months and your card needs to flashed again, just NEVER hook it up to the phone line like the instructions say because that calls a 800 number for just a few seconds every so often and 'polls' the receiver to direct tv and then they come for THEFT OF SERVICES (just like they did OJ Simpson in 2004-2005) here in Miami. I will keep on googling to see if someone, somewhere has actually hacked the boxes, but until then, all these people given email address asking to something and not giving anything in return are leechers. Only two things in life are for sure....death and taxes.

Your wrong, you can spoof a MAC... as you stated ... Look it up... hell, you can google on learning how to spoof a MAC... if hardcoded and firmware mean the same thing to you... then yes, its hardcoded. Have you every changed the FIRMWARE on your router or other NON PC devices? ... who's whack? You can spoof a MAC.

Regards,

~HTR~

Oh... and one more thing... Taxes are not sure... they are voluntary... next booklet you get... read it.

Username: Deathtocable

Let me point out to the whole hacking digital. You can order a bunch of moives on a motorola box then either hold down the power and select and the same time and reset the ac power. that kills th box memory. then you need th cable company to send a hard hit, or cut the battery thats connected to the main board but that kills the serial # assigned to the box which makes it a good boat anchor. The box has to go back to motorola to be reprogrammed. Save $$ get an FTA Receiver (Free to Air) Satellite tv. Adios!

Username: Arwoodco

OK, I am going to make you all happy and probably end this thread. Just watch p*rn TV online. There are only about 50 FREE CHANNELS.

Actually, I have found about 100 p*rn streaming channels online(however 50 are "some messed up sh*t") and I have about 30 that I like of the 100.

Far better than paying $20 bucks a month for Pl*yboy. Now you have 30+ pl*yboy channels.

The French seem to put a lot of these streaming channels on there and I can tell you, they have some strange sex fixations. Dare I say American p*rn is more moral?

To give you a good "lead", here is one of many websites:

Softcore:
http://194.79.29.73/zedcom.php?pp=Amateur

Or this one:

http://tv.woot.cc/mms:/squirt?repeat=25&.asx=

NOW, do you guys need to hack your cable box?

Break out that huge screened laptop and you will not know the difference..

Username: Jordam

The Dude: Thanks for the links but this thread will most likely continue.

This is rather vague but I hope you get my general idea
Why not just split the cable, hook one side to the cable box, hook the cable out of the cable box and the other side of the splitter (the one that doesn't go to the cable box) up to a computer. Logic (and cryptology) would say if you know the input and you know the output and you know they are mathematically related then you should be able to find an algorithm that decrypts them. Then pass the raw cable signal through a device that has instructions to pass the signal through the algorithm and you should have non encrypted cable.
No way to poll the device because the device will just attempt to decrypt the poll request and pass it on to the T.V. as if it was a normal channel.

Or am I just applying logic of a different field to something completely unrelated?

Username: Justncredible

This question has probably been posted, so sorry for the repeat, but I just didnt want to go through the entire threads especially with all the animosity.

I just moved into a new place that is already hooked up to comcast cable, and I kept my existing box to see if it will work by just plugging it into the cable. But I guess it wont. Is there any way to make it work. Or should I just return the damm thing and lease a new box?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 1000
return it and get one that works

Username: Techno1

Can someone email me the cable box complete hack info to deeds_speak@hotmail.com. Thanx.

Username: Comcast101

Option 1:

Ok ok ok, for all you wana be cable stealing H4x0r5 this one is for you yes you can hook up you digital box wil a usb or ethernet to your pc and change any setting or preferance just as your local Cable company formats the box. all you do is hook it up and access it just like a router, no there are no passwords, comcast isnt that smart its just cable. if you have any other questions on what i mean accessing it like a router just STFU and go back to playing world of warcraft and watch you n00b analog television or just go fukin get a box and pay the fukin bill.

Option 2:

If you arent that cheap to not pay a bill at all and you have your digital boxs at your home all hooked up and everything all you do is call your cable company and tell them you want every movie channel they have so then they send the hit bada bing bada BOOm, ok so now you have the channels you want so now you disconnect your boxs call your cable company back and tell them you want just basic digital now so you can get your lowest bill but still use the digital. the only downfall to that is you cannot order Pay Per View because that will go on your bill, but when you disconnect your boxes call your cable company have them downgrade you, give it a half hour then hook em back up they would of already have sent the hit to the boxes to downgrade them, but obviously they didn't get it so now you will have all the movie channels. but any time you call your cable company about how high your bill is because everyone is a FUKIN JEW

Username: Comcast101

all you have to do is just unplug your boxs so they dont get refreshed anbd your good to go but ill post about hacking the modems and getting free comcast high speed internet another day. solong noobs, and no im not like Scooby dooby doo, im legit as hellz and im good at what i do so dont question it,

PPPPEEEAAAACCE

this cable hack has been brought to you by,

COMCAST-101

Gold Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 1001
whispering
Ernest...you really have no idea what you're talking about do you?....

Username: Sporkx6

Wow, interesting read. Okay, let's see where do we start:

First, I don't want to "steal cable" I pay ~$180/mo. for internet and digital cable. I was given a DVR as a gift, and I just want to be able to use it. Guess what? The cable company says "Our DVR service is $16/mo." or "You need a 2nd cable box to use the dual tuner on the DVR"

So it's either 16 more or 10 more a month to use MY OWN DVR SYSTEM. This is crap. Completely unfair that they would not allow this.

Furthermore, STB's can not be "hacked" in the sense that I can't open mine and get all free channels. However as noted before, if you're willing to pull the IC's you can dump the data and clone boxes. You still have to pay, but (in my case) I'd clone the box I'm paying for, so I can use my DVR for free, as it should be.

I AM entitled to this, as I DO pay for the service. Nowhere in the contract am I forbidden from using a DVR.

(In case you weren't paying attention, this was to get my DVR with two inputs of digital cable)

i fond a comcast motorola digital cable box i want to use it but i dont kno how when i hooked it up the screen is just black is there a way to use it or should i just toss it .....by the way i dont pay for my cable

Username: Burning_man

Heres somthing you can do to get channels on a moto_dct. First off find a person who never paid their bill and is willing to give-sell you their box. Now open it and find the clear button. You just keep pressin it everytime it locks you out and enjoy!!!

I usually get Starz, HBO and on demand for free by just hitting the reset. Any good info would be appreciated in my inbox.

Peace.

Upload

Upload

if you have any cablevision info contact me or post it here.

Username: Someone_else

If you really want to know how to get programming for free, let me explain how it works. The Mac address is what identifies your particular box on the network. The Identification Number is what the company uses to link your name and billing info to the Mac address. So if you can hack the boxes BIOS (ROM) chip, and you can find someone who has all the programming you want, you can then clone thier Mac address and ID. by doing this you have basically cloned thier box so everything they have you have.

Beyond that, everything else as far as programming is controlled at the providers end. You call them or use the Programming on demand if available and in that instance a signal is sent or the tech on the phone adds the channel to your acount and the hardware on thier end says, "o.k. now Mac addresss ********* can now view channel whatever" so beyond cloning a reciever there is no way to get more channels. Unless . . .

You and say a few friends that live in a close area want to split a bill you can have 1 person register a box, get all the programming, register few more boxes for the extra few bucks and then they all take a box home. This would help minimize overall cost for everyone.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong.

Username: Gitcheegumee

http://www.electronickits.com/cable/FreeCableReportChapterOne.htm

Username: Tvnewsguy

Checkout http://www.tvgizmo.com and
http://tvgizmo.blogspot.com for information on Digital Cable Filter and Reset Instructions.

Firstly, please don't go crazy with the filter. The filter does require a little maintenance to insure smooth and uninterrupted use. The filter should only be used for special occasions or special events because of the maintenance required. It's not a miracle worker like the old analog black boxes were but it's the only product that will work on digital cable at the moment.
Your box may keep a record of pay per view events in it's log and therefore will require a reset to clear the memory of the box. That is what the filter does, it traps the billing signal from leaving your box to give you time to reset the memory. We have acquired the knowledge of many cable employees and the wealth of information on the internet to find the secret reset procedures the cable companies never thought would get out.
It is these secrets that are listed below and will require you to experiment a little until you find the exact method of resetting your box. If you can't find the reset procedure for your box below then you might want to get creative and do a search for your box's reset procedures. The internet is a wonderful thing and it is a great tool, so use it.

Username: Besmart

I DONT CARE WHAT U GUYS SQAY FIRST OF ALL THE RICH FIND WAYS TO STAY RICH AND KEEP YOU POOR HACKING CABLE YEAH THEY ARE CHARGING DUMB PRICES FOR SHTY CUSTOMER SERVICE THEY CHEAT YOU AND LIE ABOUT YOUR BILL THEY NEED TO SHUTDOWN COMCAST IF THEY LOWER THERE PRICES THEY WILL GET NO HACKS IF THEY TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT THEY WILL GET MORE CUSTOMERS EVERYBODY IN MY AREA HATE COMCAST. THEY GAVE ME A PROMO PACKAGE THEN CHANGED IT TO A HIGHER ONE AT THERE WILL THEN STATED CHARGING ME REG. PRICE AFTER JUST 2MNTHS OF SERVICE SO TO ALL HACK AWAY I CLAP AT THAT THESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE YOU AS A CUSTOMER THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY WHATCH AND SEE HOW THEY CHANGE ON YOU JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER SERVICE BE A STSOULGER DON'T TAKE THE BULL SO IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HACK THEN HACK THA OX\][X[X HAVE FUN}}

Gold Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 1016
Carl, Maybe if you had stayed in school long enough to learn how to write you wouldn't be so poor.
Corrected letter
I DONT CARE WHAT U GUYS SQAY say FIRST OF ALL THE RICH FIND WAYS TO STAY RICH AND KEEP YOU POOR HACKING CABLE YEAH THEY ARE CHARGING DUMB PRICES FOR SHTY crappy CUSTOMER SERVICE THEY CHEAT YOU AND LIE ABOUT YOUR BILL THEY NEED TO SHUTDOWN COMCAST IF THEY LOWER THERE their PRICES THEY WILL GET NO HACKS IF THEY TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT THEY WILL GET MORE CUSTOMERS EVERYBODY IN MY AREA HATE hates COMCAST. THEY GAVE ME A PROMO PACKAGE THEN CHANGED IT TO A HIGHER ONE AT THERE their WILL THEN STATED started CHARGING ME REG. PRICE AFTER JUST 2MNTHS months OF SERVICE SO TO ALL HACK AWAY I CLAP AT THAT THESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE for YOU AS A CUSTOMER THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY WHATCH watch AND SEE HOW THEY CHANGE ON YOU JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER SERVICE BE A STSOULGER soldier DON'T TAKE THE BULL SO IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HACK THEN HACK THA OX\][X[X no idea here lol HAVE FUN}}

Bronze Member
Username: Db10

Post Number: 18
So is it possible to steal cable or satellite?

Dead Beat, it is very easy to get either. As I mentioned in a previous post... "stealing" is relative. If you have ever been a victim of either service companies scams.. then to get your labors worth... you can do it. Both "cable" and "satellite" signals come to my property without me asking for them... so I simply receive what they give without my permission.. if they want to stop either signal I would be just fine without it. There are several ignorant fools here that will insult your grammar, spelling, where you are from, or anything they can....but the bottom line.. .if you really want it... you can have it... and not give them your fed notes for it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Do you even know what I mean when I say satellite signal Mike? Why goes through all the trouble of removing the filter (if you pay for internet service only or if they trap the signal outside your house with a filter instead of disconnecting you) or deal with playing around with a modified "black box" through Direct TV when you can program a simple card to utilitize the signal that is being sent down through the satelite network? No wires, no mess. Channels? You want Channels? It's not a matter of how many, but which country channels now!

Yes, I do know what you mean when you say satellite signal... I get both cable and satellite. The most user friendly would be FTA (Free To Air). It has been made very easy for even the most novice people. A site where you can get a little help is: al7bar dot tk

Username: Mitchman2k8

is there anyway to clone/change the mac address of a converter box? I can get a mac addy of a box with all the channels. My problem would be "Cloning" it

Username: Sporkx6

Mitch Man, it would require 1 of 2 things.

1: A new microchip with the data flashed to match the other -- Since they're ROM, it's tough to do, you'd have to reverse engineer the original and flash it onto a brand new one, then put that in the box.

2: Some very fancy programing either externally or internally* to fake the MAC.

*Internally may not be an option because the receiving device may query the mac from the hardware, which may then respond with a real response.

Username: Cable_maximum

A friend of mine found a website called digitalworldz they are a cable hacking site.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk

hopefully this can be some help?

Username: Really

What an entertaining read! 4 things I'd just love to comment on, so much so I registered just to post this.

1. This one is directed at cable employee(s) who seem to think either
(A) believe god himself runs their cableco
(B) thinks we are all idiots and your "final word" that stealing cable is imposable should be honored as if it were gospel. (you must have stock options or delusions of grandeur)

The fact is, your beloved systems always have, and always will be, insecure. Quit defending your company's code and protocols as if YOU had written it. You have MUCH bigger issues than some kid hacking your STBs. How about securing our (your customers) confidential data for starters. The voip you have been quick to roll out has holes big enough to drive a truck through.

The bottom line here is, if your systems were as secure you thought they were, your local bank ATM would be a damn dvr box!

2. Someone really nailed the STB polling topic, ironic how it's silly things like this that end up opening doors to malicious attacks.

3. To the folks taking chips out of their boxes, wow, I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, that may be overkill though.

4. To the people searching for answers; don't expect 1 click solution, go invent your own. Have fun and explore, who knows in 10 years you may be running that system, and when you do, plug up some of the lazy code so the next generation can push security to the next level.

In closing, don't steal cable, don't steal from your customers, always explore and always spend to better protect your customers data.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Those with the knowledge are privilege to do what they want...choosing to share the knowledge is an ethical issue. And I totally agree with providing ACCURATE facts if you are going to provide information.
I can't tell if the people who work for the cable companies are that stupid (in case you don't get it cable guys, that's sarcasm).

Username: Darfur420

firstly yes u can hack/borrow cable simply bye flashing a chip or card which ssome of the new hd boxes by motorola use cards u flash them by using a personal computer and another device. or you can order a new card
and insert it if it does not post after inserting u may have to flash the bios. these days a cable box is just about a computer some even have hard drives and usb 2.0 ports which allow joysticks for games mouses and keyboards even an ethernet port. all this bs by cable scums that c/o head controls what u get dont try it were the cable company blah is sorta false like a white lie but i suppose since tw and comcastic are big cable companys this is ok hence adelphias legal troubles. thats why windows vista has been hacked and bill spends more money on security then cable im sure. Any electronic device has to have some kinda way for info to be stored some kinda chip which tells it what to do like with a basic calculator something in side it tells it to either add or multiply those numbers if u wiped out whatever does that mostlikey a microchip of some sort then pressing the numbers would do nothing at all but every device does something???? if u buy a fancy texas instruments calc u will notice they just about go online now a days. so all u need for cable is a better chip or rather one with more data in it one which is wide open. think about it when u first hookup a converter does it not display channels??? yes it does now if the head office end controlled it it would need permission from the head c/o to even display one channel u would have to wait which u do not the only thing u needa wait for is the head end compter to calibrate the box basicly adjust the settings. now if the right code was already there to be seen such as one the company usaully uses as an all opened up type code then the head wouldent see a problem at all would it??? example say comcast uses ic837483-23 as a default code for preload/warming up which takes sometimes up to 48hours which tells the head to only do curtain functions for now. Say comcast uses ic83743-24 code whichs allows for open access if ur box already has that code programmed into it the head c/o computer outta see it as a normal code they use for there best package and be tricked into thinking everything is normal and no shut down the box for awhile????

and for you cable man and other do gooders to say that a cable company gets most of the screwing hahaha then explain why i pay almost $170 dollars for roadrunner and digi cable which was supposed to be only $140 a month and i dont even get a premium package just basic digi. Also explain why powerboost or rr turbo which is what i have cost the same price in boston area as i pay north of the city yet there turbo speed is 5-6 mbs faster then im recieveing??? tell me im not getting screwed the darn wiring is the same fiber optic??? so doo no wrongs and so called do gooders i ask if your paying for something and not getting what someone else is getting when using/buying the same product what do u call that??? oh wait cable man but ur company has no problem turning off an poor old lady on ssi's cable instantly after one day of non payment

Username: Rocketman2008

I have digital cable from Time Warner cable. I am currently renting one digital box (non-hd)General Instrument (Model# DCT 2244/1161/ABCDEF) from Time Warner.

I have bought a HD cable box from flea market. It worked for 2 day but now it is not working.

Is there a way to clone my HD box with my existing box?

Or Unlock the HD box? HD box has USB connection and Ethernet connection.

I also have 3 other Motorola digital cable boxes.

Username: Kasur

I have a friend that is a area manager for comcast, and just to let you know, most the time if you have internet with them, you will have basic cable also. They know and DO NOT CARE. It happens, they dont like you knowing and they wont tell you, but they cant stop you from pluging in your tv to the cable outlet.

Username: Csr87

The FCC requires cable companies to provide basic service. They are not required to provide expanded basic services though. If you have a HSI only acct and get expanded basic then its the cable companys fault because they have to untrap them. I work for Charter and they recently did a audit you can say to see if anyone is not paying for basic or expanded basic in one of our areas. You will be surprised how many people pay for basic and get expananded basic with out paying for it. Then they want to complain beause they will have to pay more.

Username: Ducimus

OK It may have been answered, but i got lost in the banter reading this thread. I currently subscribe to digital cable and have a Motorola DCT2224 purchased from my cable company (Shaw Cablesystems - BC Can) I foolishly bought a DCT2224 off Ebay it's comcast branded. of course, Shaw will not allow me to use this box in my house. Before i commit this second box to being a boat anchor, is there a way to open this box for use? I am a legit digital cable subscriber, I just want to use items I have legally purchased and pay for. (if not, anyone interested in obtaining a comcast branded DCT2224?)

Username: Ya3158

Albany, Oregon USA

so i pay for the whole enchilada and went to ebay and bought a box that is comcast compatible, went to comcast and because it doesn't have there lable on the front they won't activate it anyone know how to activate a dct2224 by motorolla I am already paying 200 a month, just want a box that I don't have to rent, thats all.

Username: Hdindm

Dsm, Ia Usa

The cable companies have been screwing us for years! If somebody is out there getting free cable, WHO CARES! It's providing work for cableguy who cuts the line & probably providing the culprit with a "hobby" & keeping him off the street where he could be causing real trouble (he probably spends more time hacking cable than he would spend working to make enough to pay his bill -It's a cat & mouse game)
YES: The cable companies steal from customers by: Limiting bandwidth for P2P & other file sharing; blocking VOIP so they can sell theirs at a premium; blocking IPTV so they can sell their inferior product; squeezing too many channels into too little bandwidth at a cost of quality... The list goes on! More power to the hackers! Let them have their fun. BUT, Don't be cryin' when you get caught and have to pay the evil piper -That's your problem & it might be an expensive one!
AS far as the network channels go... Why would you pay the cable company for (or steal)an over-compressed Mpeg4 signal when it is broadcast for free in lossless ATSC over the air??? I don't understand it.
Once I explain this simple truth, an OTA antenna is an easy sell to a satellite or cable customer -plus, for those of us who like the superior programming offered by PBS, which broadcasts multiple channels in HD in most communities that can't be found on cable or satellite- an antenna is a must AND IT'S FREE!
The bottom line is that cable companies all over the country have been getting caught and fined for ripping off the consumers on a regular basis ever since they started back in the 70's. Who cares if they are getting ripped off too? If you do, you are stupid -because they have done it to you (even if they haven't been caught or you don't know it) and they will do it again. FCC fines to them are just a business expense and they have a fund set aside for it.
As far as security and addressable boxes go -If it weren't a requirement for them to do so in order to sell HBO, SHO, etc, they probably wouldn't bother.
This is a stupid thread.
Keep on hacking them, hackers -just don't get caught!
And all of you self-appointed "cable cops", you're all idiots!

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3938
I'm yet to see any credible hack to Cable TV
Is there any hack out there? (Yes/No)
I found this:
http://www.inphome.com/
Any feed back?

Username: Marty_qwerty

the law stats that ne signal sent to your haouse can be receaved in any maner you see fit! so the other marty isnt stealing do to the fact that the cable company put something in his ouse that he never asked for. he would only be breaking the law if he sent signal over that wire thaty he is not autherized to send seeing as a tv dosnt have a transmiter he's not going to get introuble for it not now not ever even if he did get cought

Username: Indytour5000

Well All of you people that think someone is stealing cable video service when they just have cable internet is wrong. The instructions in the cable internet modem box actually tell you to hook it up to your tv as well. If you have never seen that well then you probably are not smart enough to set things up yourself or you are to stup** to read all the instructions in the box. Besides There are verry few companies that block the video signal from there internet users. One reason is band width if they did not allow the user to use the very basic video service than there would be spending more money on internet bandwidth then the video. Due to the fact of people watching programs online. And if you want to watch tv over the internet that is not stealing it is free as well. almost all major tv companies offer there shows online for free. One example is HULU.COM so call you cable company and ask them before you try and state something you know nothing about.

if you want to try to hack something easy would be epvision. its a cable qam turner FTA unit

Username: Kc8gpd

look. the simple answer to cable company tactics is competition.

till that happens, the cable companies will get away with what ever they feel like.

same with telephone companies.

congress needs to force competition among the telephone and cable companies.

and while we are on the subject, the utility companies as well.

when you have a monopoly you pretty much can do and get away with anything you like.

the customers only remedy is to accept it or not.

Username: Ashhab

I worked in a cable company for a year. They provided us with set-top digital box from Scientific Atlanta 3200SD that has all the channel(OPEN BOX). After i quit, i kept the box with me and it worked for another year, yesterday i was watching SETANTA sports and suddenly i got a msg Unauthrized, Please Call 1-888-ROGERS1.

Is there anyways to reprogram the firmware on the box and get back the authorization. How do i clone the MAC address, I can get a MAC ID from other techs who have their boxes active.
Please Reply
Thanks}

Silver Member
Username: Kriskros

Post Number: 129
ISP provider - TWC
TV - Phillips with built in HDTV tuner.
In my case I used 2way cable splitter, one end to cable modem, second one directly to TV. Scanned channels with TV using Cable mode. Found 525 digital channels and 29 analog channels. Watching only about 15 digital channels including locals, SHO HD and Versus HD. All other digital channels are Scrambled. Any idea how to resolve this to watch more channels? Links above are helpful, but is there a proven method or equipment???

Username: Mdoson

I remember when cable sales guys cam to my house and my dad was asking the guy why we would want cable and he said "you would have tv without commercials" . Funny i am now paying comcast 150 a month to watch them and i cant use the hardware of my choice!!!!!

Username: Cable_hacker

To Scooby Doo, cableguy, and the others that says that the cable company is not obliged to allow us to use our own hardware:

The Telecommunication Act of 1996 (http://www.fcc.gov/telecom.html) says they do, to an extent at least. All complaint STBs and TV sets with builtin cable tuner support the CableCARD standard which is a PCMCIA card like the ones used by laptop PCs. These cards are owned by the Cable company and contain the hardware needed to decrypt and control access to the channels and features you subscribed to. All cable companies in the US must support the standard by now so if you buy your own STB or TV with a builtin tuner the cable company must provide you a CableCARD for it. Some companies will let you pick up the card and use it on any STB or TV while others require the tech to install it, the tech must take the address of your TV or STB and program the card to work only with it. Here are some links with more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

As for getting free digital cable it certainly is possible although not very easy. For started cable systems in the US and most parts of the world have been standardized, so all cable companies must use the same protocols to deliver it's content, so the only "secret" used to protect the broadcasted data is a "secret" key. Since you can't decode the signal without the "secret keys" the cable company must send the keys to all users so inside a working legal STB is all the information needed to "hack" the signal.

Without knowing what the "secret key" is it would be very hard to decrypt the data with todays computing power, certainly is not possible to decode them in real-time without the key but if you can get the key then it's fairly easy to decrypt the data.

The "secret keys" are changed periodically by the cable company, and every time they are changed they must be transmitted to all clients ( STBs ). To accomplish this a two-way secure key exchange protocol is used. Since it is a secured protocol it would be very hard to eavesdrop on this communication but once received the STB must store this secret key in EEPROM or RAM memory.

Once the "secret keys" are on your STB the only thing protecting it is the STB hardware itself. No hardware can trully protect these keys but some may have really good protection features that will make it impossible for a regular guy ( one without multi-million-dollardnano-meter tools ) to get them yet other boxes may have very weak security.

The easiest way to get the keys would be from an STB that allows you to read their firmware. It would be nice if you could just copy the same firmware unto another STB to clone it as someone mentioned before, the problems with that are 1) it assumes that the STB address is hardcoded on the firmware which is rarely the case, and 2) if the address is actually hardcoded in the firmware the cloned STB would work by itself but once you connect both boxes it will create an address conflict since you have to STBs with the same address and one or both of them will soon stop working.

However once you have downloaded the firmware code you can study it to find out where the "secret keys" are stored, with that information you can simply read them from memory with readily available hardware ( for most microcontroller platforms ). If the keys are encrypted in memory the firmware will also have the algorithm ( the recipe ) for decrypting them.

Since the cable company uses open standards once you got the keys it is fairly easy to build an adapter that will take the output of a QAM tunner and decrypt it and even put it all together in a STB.

If the STBs used by your Cable company are too secure you can always find a cheap one and figure out how to change the STB address and swap it, since both STBs use the same protocols once the address is changed the cable company won't know the difference.

One limitation of Cable TV systems is that to save digital bandwidth the company only broadcasts the channels that are currently being watched by users, so you'll only be able to tune into the channels that are being watched by neighbors sharing the same node, in densely populated areas that is not too much of an issue. Another side-effect of this is that channels are dynamically mapped to frequencies so you may have X channel being transmitted on the 400MHz band and an hour later it may be on 300MHz or a different frequency so basically you'll have to find the channels, but since digital broadcasts include information about the channel it is possible to get around this issue with a firmware-based scanner.

Due to the limitions described above you will not find any commercial STBs that exploit these vulnerabilities on cable TV systems, however since Satellite TV systems don't have this limitations ( perhaps limitation is not the right word since from the point of view of the SAT companies it is actually a limitation not to have this "limitation" ) you will find commercial STBs in the internet that exploit this vulnerability on Satellite systems. These boxes usually come bundled with access to a website where the "secret keys" are posted everytime they change. Since these websites ( and STBs ) are illegal in most parts of the world these website don't usually stay online for too long and when they go offline the box becomes useless.

So in simpler words, it is possible to hack a cable signal but even for a knowledged engineer it is a mayor task. Definitely not worth the cost savings, but just for the satisfaction I'm working towards it on my free time. I'm documenting my work so if I'm successful at it I'll post it online and make sure to post a link on this page. It may be a long time though...

Username: Jmrasia

Yeah .. right we pay $150 a month to watch Cable TV with COMMERCIALS COMMERCIALS that the Cable companies make money on. If any one remembers TV with commercials USED to be FREE. WHY ARE we NOW paying $100 a month to watch 20 min of commercials out of an hour's worth of programming? Dont give me the poor excuse of (fill in your entertainment conglomerate/Multinational Entertainment company cable providor, Network and Communications giant here) " barely making a profit"
think about it.. if we all stopped our cable service for one month at a random time, we could bring the Cable companies to their knees and demand a lower price for watching comercials 20% of the time. They have already commited to the advertisers who brought the time. By not watching they would have to rebate millions..? OR ELSE ... LOWER FEES for watching ADS!

makes you wonder about that promise made by the cable industry some 30 plus years ago that there would be no commercials in exchange for paying the subscription.

what happened is everyone wanted a cut. now the ota tv stations the fcc requires the cable company to carry charge for being government ordered to carry them, then there is extortion fees to the local municipal jurisdictions and federal government.

and of course the biggie. the monopoly granted to them in each area they serve.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4523

quote:

"I'm documenting my work so if I'm successful at it I'll post it online and make sure to post a link on this page. It may be a long time though..."

The comments yo gave are very basic
To decipher an encryped code is an entirely back engineering process
Most hackers don't have much information about the security generator which provide decryption authorizations

For every front door there is a back door in the eyes of a hacker
And a hacker must know enough about his value traget
In another word yo must know more about yor target more than the things yo don't know

Eveything in electronics is breakable
There is always aback door to every front door
I can clearly see that yo are a rookie

Username: Jmrasia

Google has spent Billions to give us a service loaded with ads but to provide those services for FREE!.. When the OTA investors had to lay out millions (read billions in 2009 dollars) to build their transmitter networks and technologies, and inter transmitter Network infrastructure, they didn't cry that they needed to charge a subscription. They did it like Google did , to gain ACCESS to US? Look people companies are willing to spend billions to get our attention... why are we tolerating PAYING for them to sell us ? Lets organize and sign a commitment to suspend service for 1 month on 5 days notice to show all of them we mean business and want to take back control. If we do it we can bring control back. NO one wil lose a job we will just demonstrate the economic power we have to the parasites that have convinced us that this is the "way things outta be".

Username: Lucy12345

Bowling green, Oh United states

is there any way to get the pay channels for free on digtal cable??}

Username: Coxfree

Cox cable did me a big favor. They sent out a tech to fix a problem who damaged a piece of funiture, their legal dept. offered $200. which was a insult, so I told them to keep their money and I would do the same. I figured up what I spent on cable over the years, then realized the only fool involved was myself, for spending over $20 K over the years for a intangible cable signal. and for what? countless reruns, and lame programing/viewing. The next $20,000 will be spent on anything more tangible(boat, car, motorcycle, travel, art, real estate, investments, vegas, hell anything other than cable.) The dividends are already paying off, no more countless hours in front of the tube, has equated to running and working out, a loss of 35 lbs of fat, 6 pack of abs back, and alot of well definded muscle, and more babes/women than I have hours in the day for. Thanks Cox if you had not pissed me off with your fat bodied loser of a tech. I would have still been parked in front of the tube, up untill I had a stroke or heart attack. Stop watching reality crap and make/live your own. Sorry Cox one less sucker to pay for your exec's big money bonuses. Now ya only have 100 million zombies to prey on.

Username: Emsswass

I'm curious about my COMCAST SCH70 cable box inwhich i do subscribe and do believe that the M card does record memory like PPV etc....
Is it possible to reset or clear this before it's fed back to Comcast?
The reason behind this would to use a filter for PPV and clearing it on a regular basis? Thanks for the help guys! = )

Username: Chloe101

Just thought that I would mention here that after reading almost all of these posts (I actually got bored about halfway through)...I have come to the following conclusions:
1. There is a lot of name calling going on for no reason.
2. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
3. This got WAY off topic

This post was supposed to show people how to hack a cable box and get cable...instead everyone discussed who was a bigger moron, how expensive cable is, that it is wrong to steal cable, and that hacking a cable box is indeed stealing. Now, I could be wrong...maybe I didn't read far enough down, since I had a hard time reading after 2007, but seriously, there is NOTHING legitimate so far that would show how to ACTUALLY get cable (and so nobody is confused, I mean to get cable for FREE by hacking).

In the town that I am in, bunny ears and analog have been COMPLETELY removed, as I am sure many other places have been. I have been a cox customer (loyally - although I am unsure why) for YEARS. Approximately 7 now. All the while having no problems with the service - except for the minor usual complaints, like everyone else of "too many commercials", "too many channels I don't want because of the ones I do want", and finally, "paying too much". My cable bill comes to about $110 per month...only $79.99 of this is the service itself. The rest is taxes and fees, (yay me...)

So after my little rant, I would like to say: This is the MOST pointless thread I have ever in my life read. Paying my cable bill would have been much faster than reading through a bunch of people telling each other they are idiots rather than someone answering the simple question of HOW DO I HACK MY CABLE BOX AND GET FREE CABLE??

Since this became a whining session I decided I could add my 2 cents worth as well. Just for fun and needing to find something to waste my time until I pay my cable bill and have mine turned back on.

Remember this tho...EVERYTHING is a waste of money and over priced these days. All for human greed and for the sake of COMFORT. Nothing else.

Username: Efigeninho76

Forget about SBT and/or cable box. How about hacking it from your PC? Split the cable that goes to your modem and hook it up to the tuner card in your PC. Now my question is: is there any software that would crack the signal being received and allow us to see all encrypted channels?}

Username: Blewvelvet

I agree with Chloe..if you don't have the answer to the question..then don't post..don't rant. Just post the clues to the solution.

However, given all that was said here in this forum in a span of 3 years of biatching and economic decline...As of today..I have canceled my Time Warner cable but kept internet access only. I am moving my phone to a $15 a month Vonage account and paying $9 a month for Netflix and 29.95 for Internet. Im going from a fluctuating $150-$170 a month for TWC to approx $50 a month. I could not validate the $150 a month cable bill for the trifecta package (cable, internet and phone) AND got fed up with the low-quality youtube-pixelated channels. I would come home from work and think "crappy cable images and bad channels" or "Apple TV?" I got an Apple TV as a gift and what a great gift!!! BESIDES...Netflix quality is 5 times better than the image on cable.

I realized there was NOTHING on cable after I skipped through 200 channels of repeat shows and movies and would be just looking for the excuse to pick up my Apple Remote. I found some great content and documentaries on Netflix. I have so much in my queue now that involves anything from obscure 80s horror B-flicks to educational and documentaries that I will be entertained for the rest of the year..even if I watched a 5 movies a week.. I can also hook up my Macbook directly to HDMI on my large screen and run Hulu or go directly to Comedy Central and get full episodes of the Daily Show!

I had also been encoding DVD movies for over 12 years..so I have quite a collection on a drive that I can access through ATV.

BESIDES.... learning how to hack these boxes...we should TRY FIRST to all stand together and use OUR technology to beat those fargin corporate greedy bastages!!!

You can start by NOT giving them your money...that goes for the OTHER crap products and services they offer.

Right now ATV or a Mac Mini is a great way to transition away from cable. A co-worker just did it.

The other positive is that if you get Netflix..and have kids..NO COMMERCIALS to taint them thinking 'hot pockets" are good for you or fun. You can keep the crap and marketing manipulation out of your homes!

Username: Fortmyersjay

I would like to respond a simple answer (most people don't know of) in regards to the issue of "stealing cable".

Many people do not know.... and don't look into...... the box that is on the side of your house!

Paraphrasing from several cable company representatives (including installers)...... "The box on the outside of the house is YOUR property." Basically, what this means, is that the line coming from the pole to your house belongs to the cable company. The box (ATTACHED TO YOUR HOUSE), and the line coming from it into your house.... is yours! Call the cable company and ask them.

Think of it this way... if you had a problem with your electrical panel, the electric company will NOT replace the box. It is attached to your house, and anything beyond it is the homeowners responsibility. Yes, they have a lock (locking tag) on it to prevent theft/tamper with their monitoring equipment. But they will only service up to the box! The same goes for the cable company.

You can open that box and twist your connection together anytime you want. The cable company CAN NOT prosecute you for connecting anything inside a box that YOU own. They CAN, however, install a trap at the top of the pole where your line will connect to the main service line. And yes, it is illegal to climb that pole and tamper with the connections.

I always check the box when moving into a new place. Unless your in the ghetto where traps are regularly placed at the pole, nine times out of ten you can get "basic" cable from the box on the side of your house. And unless someone calls, they rarely check.

And don't believe this crap about you HAVE to have a decoder box to get any sort of cable. I get 57 channels (some in HD) with my 32" HDTV connected directly to the pole! Connected to my neighbors WiFi, and I stream live internet tv for anything that I don't get...... SCREW YOU COMCAST!!!

Username: Darfur420

Yes i remember the days when i had made such a tool for a box of that type outside i made it out of a pumpkin carving kit i used the knife and shaved and shaped it just right and it would allow access to such a box with out screwing around. Some ppl say that u dont need a stb to recieve basic cable however in big cities 95% of the channels are no longer anolog so u cant recieve anything without a stb unless of course u have a newer flat screen with a digital tuner even then u would be lucky to pickup anything because most cable companys are becoming cheap so in order to screw poor ppl and schools which might i add alot of times schools academics are funded by us tax payers so even with a brand new expensive tv you will get crap unless you have a box rented from them which could be the same gody thing that takes for ever to get to its tv guide that u had 10 years ago. So lemme ask you this if the standard box hasnt evolved much in the last 10 years how is it that no one seems to know how the said box is decoded after 10 years. to decode a signal u gotta think how was the signal encoded was it at a switch in an office was it through a filter on a pole??? And the therory someone posted of owning a box that was attached to your house i ask you this what about a cable box they donot own that u bought?? Even better what about satelite tv??? most ppl reading prolly dont know this but dish net and the other dtv donot own actually satelites in the sky the us gov and russia and china just to name a couple have satelites they have sent into space. companies like dish and direct are just middle man they grab onto a source something like the pioneer 2 satelite then charge u heavy over priced fee to allow you to recieve x amount of channels they picked up over the air. Now i ask you this what if you were able to pick up whats over the air if u had say a box which was not stolen or hacked from said sat tv companies ??? that would be the best and only way i could see to get tv the way u wanna watch it

Username: Rosehax

To Cable Tool.....dude u r a tool. no one has morals anymore u tard you think all these politicians are perfect this world is fucked and so is ur value system. the best things in life are free so if i can get something for free and not get caught then i don't see a problem with it. the gov. steals from you everyday go complain to them -.- simple fact of the matter is if ur on welfare everything is free so why do i have to go out work a job pass a drug test and pay for everything when ppl get the same things for free? is that fair? life isnt fair you need to grow up and realize this....to anyone who can get free stuff and not get caught more power to you

Username: Seriouslyguys

Oh dear oh dear...

ITT: Wannabe goody 2 shoes, Internet wiseguys and worked up morons.

And that's just one guy. Also, many of these people show their level of intelligence with their usernames. You know who of you I mean...

I came here as I am looking for a way to get pay channels for free.

I know it is stealing. I know it is against the law. I don't give a sh--. I have no quilt. Let them come "knocking on my door". I'll have a nice surprise for them. A double barrel one. I may not deserve what I STEAL.. I steal it anyway. You are wasting your time. Or... your keyboard.

I drive a Cadillac, I would never want to drive a german sh--. I would steal a Lincoln or something similiar. I once stole a car or.. borrowed without the intention of returning it. Damn it was great. I would do it again. Now printing money.. oh wow that would be great.

The reason no one is telling you "how to hack" is not because they don't know how to do it but they do not want to give away their secrets. It's like when you have a good aimbot for a FPS. You don't want anyone else to have it or to reveal information of it just to have these hyperactive vigilantes to report them to the developers for patching. Oh aimbots are great! It's great to ruin the game of others.

Ohhh yes. I am greedy. Everything should be free. Hell, almost nothing is free and I still get it free. Have gotten for years. I always get what I want. Theft hurts everyone? Not me.. I feel great! I don't care if someone loses their job! IT'S NOT MY JOB!

Oh and by the way, where I come from PIRACY is NOT a theft. It is NOT against the law. Inb4 "You live in a third-world country". U just jelly. U just mad.

It seems that this is not the place to find a way to get information on hacking.

I will find a hack sooner or later. We all know it. All made by man.. can be unmade - or hacked - by man.

And now gentlemen... These forum gods - nerds as we know them - will start calling me with foul names and begin to search my text for errors because when a superior opponent appaears they panic as they run out of witty comments.

Those who are looking for a way to get something free.. my friends, keep looking. You will always get what you want. Don't let these rich fggts from a washington suburb slow you down or walk over you. They are just humans.. their egos won't stop a bullet.

tl;dr: I win.

Username: Reekotubbs

Any way to get dct6412 III from comcast to work with basic cable (no digital) just to record shows? I don't want to steal cable, just use the dvr capabilities of the device without paying extra to do so.

I'm going to add something here about people saying to go OTA instead of stealing cable. 70% of the usa at least lives in either subsidized and/or rental properties most of which have leases banning any type of outdoor antenna. rabbit ears are fine if you live practically under the broadcast tower but is useless if your a rural or suburban renter. just wanted to point out the flaw in the logic that you can get OTA channels free. most of the usa can't. there needs to be a push in the legislature to force landlords and subsidized (Section 8 / HA) housing properties to either allow rooftop antenna's by individuals or provide Master antenna system for their residents.

and yes i have lived in subsidized housing. it's federally funded program and is run by municipalities and in southern and western states by private corporations. since they are federally funded they can violate the otard rule and ban outdoor tv antenna's and dishes and they do. who paid for this rule to be included??? yep you guessed it. THE CABLE INDUSTRY!!!!! I personally don't care to hack cable but am all for anyone who hacks these *b*a*s*t*a*r*d*s* to oblivion because they all are now raping the customer over the coals.

Username: Athult

please help me bro....mine is COSHIP digital cable receiver..model no.N5366C-E
mine is not HD connection.how to make it HD without knowing cable operators !!!

Username: Hmilleface

that miscrosoft tv connection driver who by error replace my 713x drivers of my kworld tv tunner card of my computer can maybe help. plus tv 115 kworld

in videotron 5hit we can c plus TV (sofware, firmware?) in the screen sometime.

I hate videotr0n and now i hate deri telecom

we can change the mac address i beliv in the device manager.

Username: The_general

Georgetown, Indiana United States

some people might know me as the_general.
here is a link where you can sign up for playon.
http://www.playon.tv/refer-a-friend/rafid/MTk1MDQ0
it's about 75 dollars for a lifetime membership/ then you can download a scrypt called movies 25 for free at a site called playonscrypts and download it on your computer. it will find playon and install itself into it and add the movies-25 channel will show up in playon.
http://www.playonscripts.com/
you will need a media box called roku you can pick up at wall mart for about 80 bucks. this will get you every thing netflix will get you and anything playing on cable including local channels, plus you can watch almost everything playing at the movies as soon as they come out. you will need internet to play it with and it's all legal because you are only watching and not sharing. but if you copy any movies and share them then you are in trouble big time.
total cost is about 150.00 for everything possible to watch from cable and the movie theaters for life.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us