Analog detail on HDTV

aquapowers
Unregistered guest
I just got my new Sony 34XS955 HDTV delivered yesterday. I expect the HD channels to be great (Cox will be out Wed. to hook up digital cable and cable card).

Why is it that the analog channels look grainy compared to my $400, 15 year old TV? Is it because I'm actually seeing more detail? Also, my cable reception in general is poor in my opinion. Should I look into a signal booster?

Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 157
Don't worry, you have a great tv. I'm not a technician but have read that it has to do with conversion of the analog signal. The cleaner and stronger the cable signal, the better picture you will get. But don't be surprised if it never achieves the quality of the older analog tv. I have the 34XBR960 and for HD and DVD its picture is second to none. But it's just not great on standard cable. That's just fine with me though, because I purchased it primarily for watching HD and DVD sources. Check with David Massey in this or other forums. He seems to have considerable technical knowledge.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 136
I could give you a fancy, definitive explanation, but the bottom line is, analog TV sucks!

I used to watch analog TV on my 42" Sony GW. I would split the screen, basically turning it into two 19-inch TV's, side-by-side. Sony calls this "Twin-View 2-Tuner Picture-and-Picture". Whatever! At least it made watching analog TV somewhat tolerable...

Anyway, I don't even watch analog any more - not on my GW. All the local stations broadcast in DTV, so that's all I watch - that and HDTV, of course. I suggest you do the same...

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Chill out Vin. Analog tv does not suck. Granted, it is not as realistic as HDTV, but my older model Sony XBR puts out some incredible images. Why insult the millions of tv viewers who do not have the resources to buy a new digital television right now? My advice: if your opinions are condescending, keep them to yourself.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Well put Dale, and my two cents added as well. Other factors Aqua, you mention Cox cable will be out to install a digital STB and also a CableCARD, I'm curious though, are you viewing cable straight to the TV or through a STB now? If you're looking at analog pictures without a STB, I'd have the installer check your signal level on Wed. usually speaking in our system (not Cox)analog picture look great straight to the TV. Most people complain about analog picture when using an HD STB and only using the component outputs to view everything. This makes it easier for you to view channels but isn't always the best way to view them. Some STB's, as Dale correctly stated don't do analog the justice they once did. One thing I'd recommend is that you hook up composite or s-video for you analog feeds and see how that works. The bigger question all relates to how you're currently viewing the analog channels, if they don't look good straight to the TV, you'll want that issue addressed before you put the CableCARD on the TV. People in our system that went from STB to CableCARD are very positive in their feedback about the improvement of the analog channels.
Hope this helps

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"My advice: if your opinions are condescending, keep them to yourself."

LOL, now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black! OMG

xvxvxvx

aquapowers
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input!

cableguy, My Sony is a HDTV, so I don't need the STB. Cox is comming out to install the cablecard and give me digital service. I don't subscribe to digital now. Yes, I am and will view cable straight through the TV. I will ask about the signal level. I currently have the main going into a two way splitter, one is used for internet, the other connect to another splitter for the TV's (4) in the house. Is this the correct setup?

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Aqua,
In our system, we use a DC splitter to isolate the internet signal from the main video signal, then split after the fact until the cows come home...so to speak. Usually in our system 4 or more splits usually require an in-house amplifier to maintain signal quality. This may be why your analog pictures don't look so hot on your HDTV. All things being equal, I don't want to mis-represent what your cable company does for you, but letting you know how we deal with them, and you should have them check signal level at the back of your TV. From my experiences with CableCARD's, the manufacturer recommends that you have as close to +0 dBmV hitting the back of your TV set with you cable feed, anything lower then that you may see some problems. Good luck and keep us posted as to how it turns out.

P.S. To xvxvxvx- I'm trying not to lol but it's not working, always nice to see your replies in this forum, I might not always agree with them, but I respect your opinion and always get a good laugh at your humor. Thanks for giving me something to read from time to time.
regards,
cableguy

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
X, I'm not sure what you mean. But that's not unusual. You frequently speak in riddles totally useless to those of us seeking guidance. Keep up the good work.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You frequently speak in riddles totally useless to those of us seeking guidance.

Dale,

My riddles as you call them always have a deeper relevant meaning. Perhaps if you took life a bit less seriously and took some of that guidance you seek life might seem more pleasant.

Cableguy,

I respect your posts and enjoy the fact you offer your professional opinion on these forums. You help many people and always offer it with an objective perspective.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 137
"Analog tv does not suck... Why insult the millions of tv viewers..."

Heh! The ol' Straw Man argument, eh?

"The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position."

I'm not insulting millions of viewers. I was just remarking that analog TV sucks - and it does!

LoL! Save the 'playground' debating tactics for your girl friend. They don't work on me... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
Vin, you obviously have some problem reading english. In any event, you're entitled to your opinion regarding analog tv. I am curious however, when and why, after presumably watching analog tv for most of your life, did you come to conclude that it sucks?

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
Thank you Socrates X.

aquapowers
Unregistered guest
cableguy,

What is a DC splitter? Thanks,

cableguy
Unregistered guest
aqua,

A DC splitter is a Direct Coupler that more resembles a "t" then a normal splitter. There is an input, through put, and tap leg. The tap leg is usually padded down ( in our system they pad -6,-9,-12, or -16 dBmV of the actual cable signal on the input leg) The tap leg is usually connected to your dedicated line feeding your HSD modem, the through put of the DC splitter usually feeds into a standard RF splitter to feed your cable TVs or STBs in the rest of your house. Please keep in mind we use them in our system to isolate the frequency our HSD service is coming in on, from the normal video/audio analog-digital carriers to ensure proper signal to noise ratio and levels are hitting the cable modem. This may not be true in your system. This is to say a normal two way splitter can and does work, but we're picky lol. I know you're getting your CC installed today, let us know how it went. Hope this answers your question

side note* "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

~ Albert Einstein

I may be wrong, that's open to debate, but at least I'm trying ~ cableguy

Ana Log
Unregistered guest
Aqua,

Anything to report on your situation?
If a tap does not work, one last suggestion is to create a home run cable run. Take a powered 4 way splitter (this removes the db loss of the splitter) that is bi-directional and hook it to your main cable line coming in. One feed goes to your modem and the other three to the tv's. This way each feed has close to the same signal quality as the feed coming in to the house. Just make sure you can return it if does not work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us