DVR possible for dave share?

sdfsdf
Unregistered guest
is it possible to also get a DVR unit if i'm sharing a sub? because it saids a phone line is required but they say that about everything.

bobdole
Unregistered guest
no

Daily_phone_call_not_required
Unregistered guest
Actually, as long as you never buy a PPV, you can operate your DVR indefinately without it making a phone call. You will get a nag once every 24 hours (to make the phone call) plus a new message every 24 hours (to make a phone call), but you just delete the messages and continue on your way. I'm up to day 260 on my DVR.

BUT, if you ever make a PPV purchase, it will shut down in 30 days if you don't make the phone call.

LK
Unregistered guest
But U can buy a PPV online thru Dave's website with the sub owners registration info..then its mirrored to all receivers on the account..

sdfsdf
Unregistered guest
Can you tell me the quality between the DVR and a dvd recorder? I'm trying to see if getting a DVR is better for best quality image. DVD recorders aren't quite up to par with the souce feed's signal, am wondering if DVR makes an exact duplicate?

sdfsdf
Unregistered guest
by the way, when you say a nag once a day, and a new message every day, will this effect a recording? Like if I'm recording a program, will the nag message pop up and be recorded as well? Would really suck if I'm recording a PPV fight and a nag message shows up.

Unregistered guest
No, the recorded programs do not have the nag. Nor do you get the nag when you watch live TV. The nag only comes up when you transistion from live TV to menu, and then, like I say, once every 24 hours.

Daves DVR quality is excellent, they record the digital signal from the satellite, not the analog. It is as clear as the origianl, bit for bit.

sdfsdf
Unregistered guest
thanks for the information. I have another question. My objective is to record all the boxing from PPV and premium channels with the Tivo DVR at the highest quality setting, then I plan to connect my DVD recorder via S-Video to the DVR and record just the parts I want or split it however I want. Will I still be able to do this? Because I have read about the CPRM protection. Copy once or whatever. Some users have reported that they couldn't transfer DVR recorded material onto VCR or DVD recorders because their DVR would tell them it's protected for copy once only.

Any opinions on this? I will not need a DVR if I can't transfer it's contents to other sources for recording.

Unregistered guest
No, you don't want to do it that way. You need to read up on the TIVO hacks. The operating system on the TIVO is Linux, and the TIVO hard drives have pretty much been fully hacked. You can turn off the TIVO hard drive encryption and download the files from the TIVO hard drive directly to your pc hard drive, then create perfect MPEGs and burn the files to a DVD. How? well, you'll need to start reading, it's rather complex and I haven't bothered with it myself - too time consuming.
Oh, and when you learn to hack your TIVO, you can also turn off the nags and not have to make the daily phone call. Like I say, too time consuming for me, you have to do it as a hobby or it's not worth the effort.

Username: Hdforme

Post Number: 2
I am not a expert but....

I believer you first need to be subscribing to HD TV. You also need a HD reciever. And not a wimpey one that will only do 720p, but the full 1080i.

A newer connector is around called a HDMI cable/connector. This will pass 1080i HD data to a recording device (like your TiVo).

This is *so* much better than a S-Connector.

hd
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us