Burn in/Stretch Modes with Comcast HDTV with Rear Proj Pioneer Elite 530 HD!!! HELP w/ screen settings!?!?

ValVal1029
Unregistered guest
I have the 530HD and just got Comcast Digital Cable with HDTV and DVR...
(I was a Dish Network customer without HDTV)

The HDTV channels look great! My question has to do with stretch modes. I used to use the Natural Wide setting to watch regular channels (not DVD), but now that i'm hooked to the comcast receiver using component video the screen gets locked to FULL.

So... from the Comcast Receiver (Motorola DCT6400) I can set the DVI/YPbPr output to 1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480 i. I'm assuming I should use 1080.

THEN, there's a 2nd setting called 4:3 Override. Choices are:

OFF- displays non-HD 4:3 ratio in wide screen format. Black bars display on left and right.

480i- diplays non-HD 4:3 ratio programs in their original 480i format. (Some TVs can't display 480i format on their component video inputs.) CAN THE 530 HD???

480 p- converts non HD programs to a higher quality 480p format. (Some TVs can't display 480p format on their component video inputs.) I BELIEVE THE 530 HD CAN!?!

Stretch- automatically stretches all standard definition programming to fill the widescreen display. NOT HAPPY WITH PICTURE-TOO STRETCHED...- NOT AS GOOD AS THE NATURAL WIDE SETTING FROM THE 530 HD...

SO--- What do you all recommend??? Anyone use these configurations? I like it OFF, but am worried about burn in with the black bars... PLEASE HELP!!! : )

Watching up to channels 100 looks great without the box on (signal is split) b/c I can use Pioneer's Natural wide and it's more clear also. However, it's a slight hastle to be switching the box on and off, etc... Plus you can't use the DVR...

The notes in the 530 manuals say: When 1080i, 720 component signals or RGB, or 1080i Digital, SCREEN MODE will be limited to FULL... So, I guess because the cable receiver is hooked up through the component video (Video 2) I can't get out of FULL mode--- even on the non HD programming...

I wonder if I can hook the cable receiver to the TV another way (in addition to component) to use when I'm not watching HD... Like S-video? Then I could change the modes maybe when I'm not using Video 2???

Lastly, the HD channels look the best even if a show isn't in HD, but there are black bars on the side. So, does that mean I should worry about watching ABCHD all day if the shows aren't in HD even though it looks better than the analog channel?

Sorry for the length!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us