Need help selecting a rear project lcd tv

Username: Apocalypts

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I'm at the stage where I'm finally ready to buy a rear projection lcd/dlp tv. I'm totally new at this so I have no clue as to which brand to buy. What's the difference between lcd/dlp? Which is better? Is there something new that's better than lcd/dlp? My budget is around 3,000.00, not including the stand and sound system. I'm also looking for at least 60 inch. Sony? Hitachi? Samsung? Mitsubishi?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I went through the same process. I suggest that you look through these thread to learn about the different technologies, the pros and cons of each, etc. Then armed with that knowledge, go to your local retailers and look at the TVs themselves. You need to decide whether you like the sharper images of DLP and LcOS technolgy or the softer looking LCD. You're in the right place, now do your homework. Have fun, good luck and let us know what you decide upon.

P. S. My time from start to purchase was over 3 months.

Username: Berta

Post Number: 9
I concur with tvshopper. This board is one of the best places to gather information. But keep in mind that one person's wine is another's poison. Another place is http://www.cnet.com. There are good reviews and helpful articles that explain all the technology and terms. Finally, nothing beats spending significant time with visual comparison between sets.

Good luck and have fun.

Anonymous

"softer looking LCD" ??

yeah right

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
In my opinion, the Sony LCD projection units have a MUCH softer picture than either DLP or LcOS.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
My Sony LCD 42WE655 looked better than the Samsung DLP.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
grfunk,

Lasik will fix that for you!
That or better lenses!

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
Maybe the Samsung DLP was turned off at the time?

Seriously, that said, I think it is possible that a Sony LCD could look better than a Sammy DLP, if it had the HD3 chip and was not calibrated very well.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
I have the HD3 chip, so, I don't know what you mean by that!

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
Aren't you the one saying that the 5674 is by far the best DLP on the market? The 74 Series (as well as the 85 series and the Panasonic) has the HD2+ chip, which is generally regarded as being superior to the HD3. The HD3 is not as sharp and the blacks aren't as good.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Sorry. I've been a video tech for 30 years and have my eyes checked every so often. To your eyes, the DLP may look better but to mine it didn't. I'm not saying there was a really big difference. I actully liked the DLP but I had to constantly tweek that thing to watch it. The Sony looked good right out of the box. I have a large group of production people that constantly complain the monitors don't match around here. You can't make everybody happy. But, from an engineering stand point, you really have to be picky to complain about either DLP or LCD. I just found more people complaining about their DLP sets and that is one reason I went with Sony LCD. My first choice was DLP though. I might consider it next time around. I'll have to see what is out there in 7 or 8 years.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
DLP-Dave,

You are absolutely right. I advocate the 74 series, but I own a 5063. The 74 wasn't released until the fall of 04 and I bought my 63 last spring. The HD3 is awesome! Maybe not as good as the HD2+, but still incredible. My old eyes can't tell the difference. I do have the 7 segment color wheel at 10800rpm, though. It's the new "Air Bearing" frictionless.

Anonymous

PHONG PHAM, for 2200 dollars (plus 200 for a screen) you could buy a 720p hi def Panasonic AE700u LCD FRONT PROJECTOR, which will completely blow away 99% of the hi def sets currently made in the world

HI DEFINITION requires mega-sized pictures and you don't need a big room either. Best viewing distance is as close as 1.0 to 1.3 times screen diagonal for hi def. The old non-HD ratios are obsolete

Anonymous

PHONG PHAM, for 2200 dollars (plus 200 for a screen) you could buy a 720p hi def Panasonic AE700u LCD FRONT PROJECTOR, which will completely blow away 99% of the hi def sets currently made in the world

HI DEFINITION requires mega-sized pictures and you don't need a big room either. Best viewing distance is as close as 1.0 to 1.3 times screen diagonal for hi def. The old non-HD ratios are obsolete

grfunk reply...
Unregistered guest
grfunk, excellent post. It certainly sounds like you have experience in this area. I have purchased a panasonic 50lc14 (LCD rp) and couldn't be happier. In fact, as you describe, the DLP did not look better to me whatsoever. The LCD captured every detail in the picture and was truly crystal clear. I believe DLP is fashionable right now and since it's the 'new thing' it is getting lots of attention.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
I agree! Excellent post, grfunk!

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
Somehow the LCD lovers do not get bothered by the screen door effect. To me it is a killer. Oh well, to each their own. Even on plasma, the SDE is bothersome for me. DLP is the only technology besides CRT with a picture where you can't see the pixelization of the screen.

But I'm glad for those who like their LCD's...just also very glad there is an alternative.

LCD Guy
Unregistered guest
The new Sony models have greatly reduced the screen-door-effect by using higher resolution lcd panels with more pixels. The new panels have 3.28 million pixels, which brings the pixels together very close. I have seen older models though and even some other brands of newer LCD's where the SDE is bothersome.

Username: Waders

OKC, OK USA

Post Number: 7
Hey guys..... I've been looking for a long time (years) and I'm going to pull the trigger on the 60" Sony XS955 LCD RP this fall. They all look a billion times better than the 19" black & white rabbit ear set I had in my bedroom in the 60's as a child. Long story short, if you like the DLP better, then buy it. If you prefer the LCD, get that. After looking at what seems like hundreds of sets - the SONY XS LCD RP looks better to me. I have to be about two feet away before I see a screen door. Either way - you will have an incredible set that won't degrade over time like the plasmas or direct view lcd's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us