Archive through September 07, 2004

Train
Unregistered guest
Same here--as stated in my prior posts, my reset attempt did "hunt" then it became a "0" and then a call to comcast to reset. They got smart on us, the good ol' analog days are over. I miss PPV, so dam expensive especially the big fights. Since they got smart on us, they should lower prices. And changing the channels is so dam slow too.

Bronze Member
Username: Haney49

Post Number: 44
we have comcast here and digital but they have one analog PPV. the one for the fights. 1 HBO, 1 SHO. 1 MAX. 1 M.C. they use Motorola DCT2244 for digital and scientific altanta scrambler for the analog.

The President of DIRECTV
Unregistered guest

You people can have it easier if you go to www.directv.com .
Just say I sent you, and you will get a 35% discount.

Yours truly,
Mitch Stern

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
i have directv and dish and cable, now why would i want to call them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/interviews/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_ id=1000552262

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
now do you think a president and CEO would come on here and post? i think not.

Username: Cleric

Post Number: 1
David, I have to ask - how much are you paying a month for the 3 services?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
DTV-36.99
DISH-A120-34.99
COMCAST-INTERNET-57.95

Post Number: 2
That's actually not too bad considering I think I'm paying about 110 for expanded digital, hbo, sho, cmx, tmc and internet - and you have two more services than I do. Unfortunately I can't do any kind of satellite because I practically live in a rural forest - I really wish cable could get some kind of NFL direct deal.

President of Comcast
Unregistered guest
rofl.. president of dtv.. WALLY?s

Post Number: 3
Hey Train, how did you get your box to go from "hunt" to "0"? I gave the box to a friend of mine who's trying to hook it up to analog. Thanks.

batat
Unregistered guest
Here's the truth and nothing but the truth. There is no descrambler for digital cable at this time.

President of Free TV
Unregistered guest
President of DTV, don't be too full of it. Even P4 hasn't been hacked, but there are already spies in nds. As soon as we get our hands on the codes, we will give you stamps and envelopes so that you can send out another million P5 cards.

Hey, I can even tell you how we get to your contractor's employees; as long as you have some sex crazed maniac working for you. you can never be too safe.
Hahahahahahaha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
do any one know about the cards that go in the new TV's

KatyDid
Unregistered guest
I just bought a DCT2244/1161 from Ebay. I've read through the previous posts, but can't find my answer. All I want to do is have the second box on another second TV. Should I call the cable company to activate it (if they will)? I've plugged it in but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

t_-
Unregistered guest
KatyDid-
Comcast (most cable provider) will not activate your DCT2244, because you didn't buy it from them. If you didn't get it from them, it is likly to be stolen, so they will NOT activate your dct2244. And.. as of reseting it, I don't think anybody had reset/activate the Motorola DCT without calling their cable service provider before.

so.. you're DCT2244 is usless. until someone finds a way to activate it without calling comcast.

by the way, i heard that you could trade in your DCT2244 to your cable company to get credit, but I'm not sure how much credit they'll give you, I don't think its as much as you paid for.

Dez Serio
Unregistered guest
I just had Comcast installed and they don't provide a box, just have a cable running from my wall. What kind of descrambler can I get and where?

Post Number: 7
Comcast didn't provide you with a low-monthly-fee-rental-box??? Never heard that one before.

Dez Serio
Unregistered guest
Nope. It's a cable running from my wall to my VCR. I currently have basic and expanded basic.

t_-
Unregistered guest
yeah, you have the Comcast cable plan that doesn't provide you with a box. There are no DIGITAL Cable descrambler on the market today. If you have Analog cable, there are plenty of cable descrambler boxes for you.

the pod
Unregistered guest
I have Comcast cable internet and Comcast analog cable TV. I recently acquired a Motorola DCT2244 that is activated with Comcast. When I plug it in, I can get the channel guide to pop up on my TV, and it comes with all the channels and program guides correct. However, there are no channels, not even my basic analog cable ones. Is there anything I can do to get the digital channels? (the main reason I ask is because I miss the on-screen guide). Also, by me hooking up this DCT2244, what information is getting sent back to Comcast? Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 8
the pod - the only way you will be able to get digital channels is to call Comcast and upgrade your service. There is no box that is going to just "give" you access to these.
As posted above "there are NO digital descramblers".

the pod
Unregistered guest
cleric:
i read somewhere that if you have the digital internet service, the digital cable signals come along with it. also, why would my DCT2244 be getting program information if there is no digital signal? thanks.

Dez Serio
Unregistered guest
Three questions:

1.)What's the best descrambler available for Analog cable?

2.)If I upgrade to a plan that provides me with any type of digital package that gives me only a few digital channels, would I then be able to purchase a descrambler that can give me access to other digital channels or does "no digital descramblers" still apply.

3.) Which cable subscribers aren't digital?

Thanks.

t-
Unregistered guest
"which cable subscribers aren't digital?"

www.waitsfieldcable.com
www.coxcable.com

Silver Member
Username: Spawnedd

Post Number: 120
if you have digital cable and arent getting it is because there is a trap on the pole,you have to remove it,to get all access,but that is illegal,the reason your dct does not work is because the box is pre activated at the catv company and programmed into the main frame even before they install it.they will not preload a dct if its not theirs,so if you buy one from ebay,you wasted your money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
t:there both digital

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
ppv reset is 9.44 mhz.you could do it with a frequency generator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
hey dez,its a waste of money to get anything analog.

CableGuy
Unregistered guest
Be aware that this board could be under a close watch of FCC, cable companies, Federales, and yada yada yada...

I have worked as a cable contractor for Comcast and have some valuable insight into how cable works. Getting all analog channels is easy and requires only removing the filter from the ped or the pole. The tricky part is getting all free digital channels.

How it works:
When an installer installs a box in your house he/she (almost always he) then needs to call the dispatch and state the 12 alphanumeric serial which is displayed (usually) on the bottom of the box and starts with letters "GI" (might be different in other states). This serial is then added to the database of active dcts and a signal from your cable company is sent back and forth between them and your dct. If you install a box which serial is not in the system, it will get zapped after a 24hr period. By default, a newly installed box will receive all channels. However, after it is in the system, the cable company will know what channels you are supposed to have by looking at your account and the serial of the box which is bind to it. The signal that is sent to your box is encoded in mpeg2 which means it's software(!) Its not an-always-on signal like it is with analog cable. The channels which you receive are being sent (or not) sent to you by your cable company. Therefore, as it has been stated previously on this board, there are NO descramblers for dcts. Sure there is a way to watch PPVs with a HPF (high pass filter) if you already have digital service, but that's a whole another story. So, if, say, you obtained a working dct and it works fine for you for a day or two with all the channels, it will get zapped eventually because its serial is not in the system. If you install a HPF, it will block all the signal FROM the box TO the cable company. Which is good because the cable company won't know you're in the system but bad because the box will get zapped anyway if it can't send the signal to the cable company. As someone who works in the field, a cable installer can always take any dct, call a dispatch and tell them to add a box with a certain serial to a certain account. But since none of you have that kind of power, you're pretty much screwed.

something to think about:
The box needs to receive and send signal to work.
What kind of signal is sent to the box (besides the video and audio feed) and from it? Is it possible to intercept this signal? Is it possible to connect the box to a modem or LAN and feed it the required signal? Is it possible to replace the ROM with a custom made one and bypass the unwanted signals?

That's it for now. Keep exploring.

Disclaimer - Federal and State laws provide civil and criminal penalties for anyone that receives cable service without paying for it. All information is for educational purposes only.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
another misnomer digital cable is recieved in anolog.the dct is only a switching unit.it does not descramble.hmm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
ppv reset is 9.44 mhz,and so what if the site is monitered,everyone assumes it is anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
http://www.download.com/CTube/3000-2348-10312349.html?tag=lst-0-3

internet tv 1500 stations

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
ctube is awesome if you have hi speed connection.

jfk
Unregistered guest
How do i enable my active x controls i tried in explorer and it still doesnt work.

OliveG
Unregistered guest
if ur so smart wally why dont you tell us how to hack digital, or maybe you dont know sh@t? then stop posting so much crap damn spammer. btw that online tv is total crap. who watches that bs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
olive i dont spam,just ask the regulars.and you can self activate if you the basics.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
Cable pro says "The signal that is sent to your box is encoded in mpeg2 which means it's software(!) Its not an-always-on signal like it is with analog cable. The channels which you receive are being sent (or not) sent to you by your cable company."
==============================

I think I understand that, but I dont get the "big picture" here. I have a few basic questions, aimed at Wally or Cablepro, since at least you two guys seem to know what you are talking about. I really do appreciate any answers or help with this.

Lets say for the sake of argument, that I have access to a digital cable stream. If the MPEG-2 stream is not "scrambled" then what stops my box from displaying any content that it receives?

I could see how the box the cable co rents you is digitally coded, and won't display any signal not "approved" by the cable co. So if you are using a cable co box it would need to "talk" to the cable co for them to authorize your box to display certain content. That makes sense. But if thats true why cant some third party come up with a "non-addressable" box that can display all the content it receives? (Or has this already been done?).

Also, if the "normal" digital stream doesn't include every single channel, then how the heck does the cable company direct specific content to specific subscribers? I mean, is the network so sophisticated that the cable co can actually control exactly which content goes where? EG my neighbor's cable is probably attached to the same telephone pole as mine. So if he orders a digital pay-per-view for example, what stops me from getting that same signal? Conversely, is there some kind of "standard" (ie non premium, non pay per view) content that is always transmitted to everyone?

Even more simply, let's say I am a paid digital subscriber. What "happens" when I order pay per view that allows me to view the signal?

Again, sorry if these questions are basic; I just dont understand how these systems work, and I'd appreciate any answers or any help on this. If someone could post a link to a FAQ about this, or something like that, I'd appreciate that too.

OliveG
Unregistered guest
i can self activate if what? what are u talking about?? tell me how can i self activate.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
Next question. Much simpler, also theoretical.

Let's say I am a legitimate digital cable subscriber, and I am not interested in pay-per-view or fancy premium channels. But I would like to be able to watch cable on a second television in my home without renting another box from the cable co.

Is it possible to buy a third-party box that will let me do this? Or does any viewing of any digital cable require an ongoing two-way connection between my box and the cable co?

Again, I just want to know how this works. Any help is appreciated.

Aplus
Unregistered guest
"The signal that is sent to your box is encoded in mpeg2 which means it's software(!) Its not an-always-on signal like it is with analog cable. The channels which you receive are being sent (or not) sent to you by your cable company."

WRONG

The analog signal is always there but the box converts that signal to digital. Descramblers dont work on digital cable because the box has the last word in what comes out of it.

These boxes are extremely hard to crack, im sure someone did but i havent seen a black box dct.

The cable company can indeed access every individual box and tell it to enable or disable any digital channels. All boxes have MAC address.

The box functions basically like a computer connected to internet. You have all the signal, so you can go to any website. But what if ur folks put on the parental control? Then you cant access certain sites. But your friend, who is connected to your LAN, will be able to because there is no parental control on his computer. Same thing with cable.

Aplus
Unregistered guest
Yes, any viewing of any digital cable requires an ongoing two-way connection between my box and the cable co.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
>>The cable company can indeed access every individual box and tell it to enable or disable any digital channels. All boxes have MAC address.

>>The box functions basically like a computer connected to internet. You have all the signal, so you can go to any website. But what if ur folks put on the parental control? Then you cant access certain sites. But your friend, who is connected to your LAN, will be able to because there is no parental control on his computer. Same thing with cable.
=============

So are you saying that to get ANY content your box effectively has to actively request that content from the cable company (which can then approve or disapprove it based on your known subscriber status)?

If this is true, then how can you get away with using one of those filters that prevents your machine from "talking" to the network, even for a short while? Wouldn't that prevent your machine from requesting the right content?

Anyway, if so, then this really does seem impossible to crack. You can't get a signal sent to you unless your specific machine is known to the cable co, and it can't be unless they've pre-authorized it. So there's no way you can pirate the signal, let alone even add another working cable box to your bedroom.

Maybe you could get around this if your machine could spoof someone elses address, but I think that's probably a good way to get caught and tossed in the pokey.

Is this essentially correct? Can anyone else address (pun only partially intended) this?

Aplus
Unregistered guest
The cable company sends permissions to the box, where they are stored until new permissons are sent (as when you add, for example, a new package). So the box doesnt have to actively request every channel by connecting to the company. It just checks its internal memory. Remember, all channels are there, the box only decides which of them to display.

The hpf filters you are referring to are used to watch ppv movies for free. You dont have to send a request from the box to the provider to watch your ppv, its already there! The signal is being sent outside only to let your company know that you ordered the movie so they can bill you. HPF blocks that signal and no one knows you ordered the ppv. The filter is taken off on the days that the cable co pings your box. You can find out on what days they do that by calling your provider. Before taking the filter off, make sure you clear the memory of the box first or you'll end up with a bill. Capice?

t_-
Unregistered guest
I have a few questions.
-I have Comcast Cable
-Do not pay monthly
-Have no cable box
-I recieves channels 2-70
Do I have Analog or Digital cable?
Do I send and recieve signals to/from Comcast?

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
2-70 is for anolog signal,but you may also have digital that you dont have a digital box,if your box ie a anolog normal channel range 2-125 decoder does just that it decodes your cableco cant stop you and turn it off,they just moved ppv to a higher channel set,so you need a digital box,even tho you have a digital box,what happens is the signal is all anolog,anolog in,digital to turn on/off for internal components and cammands,then output is analog again,to clone a box is useless because if you do that and ppv is ordered on your box then your partner will get billed if the box in the system,the box at this point is a switch nothing but.boxes that have been deactivated because of none payment or off line like the boxes can not be reactivated unless you have a copy of the signal for those boxes while they are active,but current boxes that are active can be turned back on by you if you know the basics of signal capture,even tho thats useless because if you or someone else uses it ,you as the original user of the box will still get the bill because of two way comm.if you capture the signal then you cant use features like in demand etc.the filters like hi by pass can be bought at radio shack for ten bucks,again thats useless,when they poll your box and they get no input they can simply turn you off or send over a tech and know you ordered ppv and will still get billed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
when your box is polled,all boxes are polled,to reset ppv,you need to know when they are polled,time is of the essence here.get a pre-amp install to cable going into input,out that to a jerry rigged input to a digital recorder,out that to rf input of your stb,start recording.after you recorded,use your jerry rigging to the out of your recorder,rewind and play.you have just captured your dct adress reset,thats one way of doing it.but when you play the recording make sure the cable input is not connected.thats one way,

t_-
Unregistered guest
wallly, i have no idea what your talking about, i been using this for about 2 years now. could you answer the questions again, make it simple please.

thanks in advance

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
t:only a techy would understand.if you get 2-70 odds are you have digital service,no activated digital stb,dcts are pre-programmed at the cableco before its installed at your location.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
T? using what exactly?

t_-
Unregistered guest
I have a few questions.
-I have Comcast Cable
-Do not pay monthly
-Have no cable box
-I recieves channels 2-70
Do I have Analog or Digital cable?
Do I send and recieve signals to/from Comcast?

I'm not sure what kind of cable I have, thats why i'm asking. A guy who works for Comcast "hook me up" with Comcast for one payment of $50. I recieve channels 2-70 even, and odds channel. Thats all I know about my cable.

t_-
Unregistered guest
It's kinda strange, I thought Comcast didn't provide analog cable, and digital cable must send/recieve signals. Do I have digital cable? am I sending any signals? am I recieving any signals?

OliveG
Unregistered guest
dont bother trying to get an answer from wally, he cant help u with anything, just throws random technical words at u. i doubt he can even speak english that well.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
T: They are phasing it out, but in some areas Comcast definitely does still provide analog cable; you might get up to 70 channels on it, just generally none of the "good stuff". Any cable-ready TV should display most of these channels.

Based on your description, it sounds like that's what you've got. I bet your cable guy just connected your home to the cable system without telling Comcast about it. So now you get free basic cable. If they find out about it they will disconnect (and hopefully not sue) you. This might happen anyway if they discontinue analog in your area.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
The cable company sends permissions to the box, where they are stored until new permissons are sent (as when you add, for example, a new package). So the box doesnt have to actively request every channel by connecting to the company. It just checks its internal memory. Remember, all channels are there, the box only decides which of them to display.

Aplus, I don't get it. (Can you help Wally?)

If this is true (that with a digital line you constantly get every channel unencrypted) why can't someone just build a box that simply displays all the channels?

I mean how hard would it be to build a box that doesn't talk to the cable company and "thinks" it is "authorized" to display every channel? I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to do this or to hack an existing box to work this way. Has anyone done this sort of thing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
olive thankyou for your support.
anyway T: if you have digital cable available in your area then you have access to digital service its built in to the system,just call your provider,if you want digi the only way to get it without subscribing is to build your own qam hi channel capacity digital tuner,most of you people cant even begin to do that unless you have electronics expierence,it can be done.digital tuners are sold on the net,of course there are no catv digital stbs,so t enjoy your anolog service while you have it cause its to be phased out by 2006.like i said before dcts are two way comm,boxes are logged into the system before they are installed,I think olive owns a site that sells filters and analog boxes and cant sell them,and sounds like a whiner.olive i have something you can try,stick your thumb in your tail and the other in your mouth then count to 10 then switch.T odds are if you trace your cable to the poll you will find you are direct connected without a filter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
OLIVE? what random technical words?a technical word is not random.and to those who feel i cant help then ,then you should start reading my posts from the beggining,im not a bs artist like olive,OLIVE WHAT HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTED SO FAR?NADA.

are you sand nickle,lol.
whiner.

APLUS said>>>Yes, any viewing of any digital cable requires an ongoing two-way connection between my box and the cable co.

only if you use direct tv.digital reception does not require two comm.all channels are there to recieve.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
T you are being very vague, to find out if you have digital service in your area try this ,this may be very difficult for you but you have to try,call your provider and ask them if you have digital service in your area.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
APLUS i meant to say in demand ,not direct tv,sorry for the typo.brain freeze.

t_-
Unregistered guest
thanks for the helps, really explains alot

If i purchase a cable descrambler, will i be able to recive payperview?

t_-
Unregistered guest
"olive thankyou for your support.
anyway T: if you have digital cable available in your area then you have access to digital service its built in to the system,just call your provider,if you want digi the only way to get it without subscribing is to build your own qam hi channel capacity digital tuner,most of you people cant even begin to do that unless you have electronics expierence,it can be done.digital tuners are sold on the net,of course there are no catv digital stbs,so t enjoy your anolog service while you have it cause its to be phased out by 2006.like i said before dcts are two way comm,boxes are logged into the system before they are installed,I think olive owns a site that sells filters and analog boxes and cant sell them,and sounds like a whiner.olive i have something you can try,stick your thumb in your tail and the other in your mouth then count to 10 then switch.T odds are if you trace your cable to the poll you will find you are direct connected without a filter."

wally, there are digital service in my area. how do i get digital cable without subscribing? qam hi channel digital tuner? where could i get one of those, or plans to build one?
if i misunderstood some of your words, please correct me

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
t:you have to build/design/engineer it by scratch,none are available on line anyway.

http://www.bitpipe.com/data/rlist?o=1051194271_935&t=pd_10_40_34_32_np

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
hey im just wondering is T short for at&t.comcast.

t_-
Unregistered guest
thanks, but i don' think im going to build it.
"digital tuners are sold on the net", thought they sell them on the net.

and.. t isn't short for at&t or comcast.

Unregistered guest
Ok I have a question that's not related to "illegal" things. I live in an appartment complex. Comcast is complaining about people who have dish network because they are plugged into thier main box. The complex is responsible for the lines running to the individual apartments.

I want to install a secondary Main Box and allow for either Dish or Comcast by moving a cable or running a splitter. I imagine that I will have to install spliters to accomodate for this, but I don't know what the Freq. of the splitters should be and if I should get passive or active splitters? The managers goal is to get all the units, 8 per Comcast main box, on splitters.

In addition to that, I want to use only one Dish per 8 units or more.

Thanks for the help.

(BTW, good tech on this site that I stumbled upon)

seppuku

Porch
Unregistered guest
I have Motorolla Box and I can't reset memory of my PPV. I have hpf filter and have tried many many methods. anyone can help??

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
seppuku
SUICIDE AINT NOIZE POLLUTION.

i thinks commiecast and da feds is trying to tell me sumptin.

Post Number: 10
You da man Wally! The only reason I still read this board is to see what you have to say. I only wish I understood half of it lol

Unregistered guest
Thank you?...

I thought the phrase was "Rock n' Roll aint noise pollution"

OliveG
Unregistered guest
dont pay any attention to wally seppuku, he's retarded

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
thank you olive like a
give a crap.its time for your bowel injection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
hey just some info on comcast internet,they try to edit your content excedra blah blahblah.comcast are internet commies.f/u comcast suck my spam and all others conjoineed at the hip.like i give a crap.im on to sumtin cause theydont want me to say da truth/

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
if my input was retarded,comcast would not send internet comcast to dis my comments they is afraid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
cleric if you have digital comcast,unplug your box ,disonnevet your rf input.put your digital recorder in between in seconds they will try to reactivate your box.if you record /play later you can reactivate your box.ssshh dont tell anyone.lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'll have to try and get my dct box back first lol. For educational purposes of course ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hey look - I'm bronze - just like the USA mens basketball team!

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
bronze like baby shoes lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
comcast is trying to get me off line f/u comcast.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
when i get platinum i quit.lol.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
Wally,

Doesn't every single digital cable box already have its own digital tuner? So why would anyone need to build one from scratch?

Shouldn't it be possible to just hack an existing box to make it "think" it was authorized to display every channel and not need to "talk" to the network? (Obviously this isnt easy, or everyone would have one of these).

Also, if the digital stream is just enencrypted MPEGs, why can't you get an ordinary personal computer to tune and display these?

OliveG
Unregistered guest
digital idiot i recommend that you read some books or articles on how digial cable works rather than asking such ambiguous questions and then expecting wally, who cant put two sentences together, give you a proper response.

Unregistered guest
Well, since no one can answer my question...

1) The boxes still need to talk to the host for verification. My understanding is that the box is "reprogrammed" once installed by cross-referencing your account information. The only way to bypass this is to reprogram the internal ROM chips to bypass the need for verification...but the downside to that is it may be flagged as an "unknown" user.

2) While, in theory, the plug in a PC to get the channels, they do not have a builtin encryption/decryption module to be able to access the information. I'm not sure what strength encrytion it is, but I imagine its more than 64bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
attention FEDARALI ie.OLIVE G ,im not biting, ENJOY.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
dat goes fer seppuku too.

OliveG
Unregistered guest
oh no you got me... dumbass

RocKEY
Unregistered guest
hey wally, this might be helpful

http://vdc.engr.scu.edu/KnowItAll/English/1stEnglish/1EGMenu.htm

Anonymous

Does anybody have a part number or the exact name of a HP filter? Specically, one found at Radio Shack. Thanks

PW-voice
Unregistered guest
wally wabbles n wobbles n waggles n waddles :-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
no its weebles wobble but day dont fall down

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
just go r/s and ask for one their 10 bucks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Anonymous - if you're looking for a filter to access PPVs, just be forewarned that there is a major "catch" involved in this method.

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
Thank you seppuku.

Different posters on this board are saying different things about the nature of digital cable. Some say the stream is encrypted, some say it isn't. Some have said all information on all channels is always broadcast; some say that's not true.

So I'm not sure what to believe, and I don't know of a good reference to look this stuff up. If anyone does, I'd really appreciate a link. (Got one, Olive?) All I really want to know is what specifically about digital cable makes it so hard to pirate the signal?

I understand that the cable box is addressed and once connected to the network establishes a dialogue with the network to determine which services are provided. But if I understand this correctly, that happens only because the box the cable co provides has been deliberately designed to require such a dialogue before it will display content. What I don't understand is if you constantly receive all the channels anyway, and if they are not encrypted, why some savvy (hardware or sofware) engineer can't just build a box (from scratch or modify an existing one) that simply decodes all the broadcast content without needing to communicate with the network at all?

Obviously, this can't be easy, or a million shady dealers would already be selling such a box, and I've been told that it doesn't exist. But if I understand this correctly, it should theoretically be possible, and maybe not even that difficult to build one. So I suspect that there is something fundamental I'm missing here about the dialog or encryption.

Anybody?

digital idiot
Unregistered guest
OK,

I did some digging and found out that 1. yes, all the channels are present in the digital cable stream, and 2. No, despite what a few have been saying here, the transmitted digital cable MPEG-2 streams actually are encrypted. So the cable box can't decode/display them properly without obtaining the proper digital key from the cable company to "unlock" the content.

I couldn't find all the specific details, but presumeably, this requires the box to communicate with the company with an internet-like protocol to obtain said key on some kind of periodic basis. Since this digital key is near-impossible to crack that would explain why nobody has yet built a "box" that can display the video content in real time without communicating with the network.

Now maybe it might be possible for a smart cryptographer with a access to a supercomputer to do it, but that would certainly not be practical for the average schmoe. Likewise, it might be possible to "steal" a key by spoofing existing box addresses, but I would imagine that would be risky and certainly not something the average lazy internet pirate would want to try!

Thinking about this it might be possible to hack a legitimately subscribed box so that it can request the proper authorization for premium services, but then not record them for polling. . .but if anyone ever tested or checked the box the person doing this would undoubtedly get caught and flogged mercilessly.

Again, if I'm wrong about this, or anyone else has any thoughts, I'd love to hear about them.

migraine
Unregistered guest
What a friggon nightmare of gobbledy goop this forum is

Anonymous

Digital Idiot - you are right. The main point that most folks do not seem to get - all systems are not the same and use many different encryption schemes and filtering / scrambling techniques. There really is only one constant, unless someone comes up with a box that has the ability to get at the crypto, then the cable companies are in control.

The main purpose of the digital box is to decode or breakdown qam or qpsk digital transmissions into baseband or modulated frequencies, and the extra bells or whistles for ppv/premium presentation without the need for a service/installation technician to come out to your house. plain and simple.

I do feel that those selling boxes on ebay and elsewhere are really selling a box from the back of a van, not unlike those selling "Premium" stereo equipment that "just happened" to be overstock and needed to be "disposed" of before the manager gets back. After you hook up the speakers you find that most of it is just cheap crap that anyone could have gotten from some third world sweatshop. (dont ask).

Live well, peace be to you.
some dude

Anonymous

Cleric, I realize there is a "catch" to the filter PPV method. Are you saying clearing the memory of the digital box doesnt' work?

Anavel
Unregistered guest
Alright, i just moved to school and found out that they scramble the cable here aka you need a box to get cable correctly. Now Previoulsy i purchased a Tv Tuner card for my pc. Well this needing the box dilema is seriously going to mess up my plans. Is there any sort of software of application i can use to decode the analog cable signal withiout the need for a cable box?

t
Unregistered guest
Anavel, there is alot of cable descramblers for tv tuner cards, but im not sure if it works or not.

try searching on kazaa for "cable" under software
heres one exotv.de

agian, i have never tested it

Cable CEO
Unregistered guest
OK... YOU will never beat the man plain and simple!

The encrypted message is changed all the time!
That's right fools, YOU will never be able to guess the message but even if you did guess it even once it would change the next time! So go keep pounding your hands. FOOLS! WE WILL NEVER BE BEATEN AGAIN NOW WE OWN YOU!

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
do you think its the modem cable or ip tracking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us