Receiver Suggestions for B&W Speakers

Mike D
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a receiver for a small Manhattan studio apartment (440 sq ft incl. kitchen, bathroom, & closets). I plan to purchase B&W 601S3's for the front speakers, 600S3's for the rear, ASW600 Subwoofer, and the smaller 600 series center speaker. I am seriously considering the Yamaha 740 - are there better choices at that price point ($500 - $600)?

Username: Edison

Post Number: 198
This one won the receiver of the year for the best 1k unit - sounds smooth and rich. Makes you want to turn it up as soon as you come home.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=101502

NAD is also a musical sounding one - more powerful than other 100watts (conservatively rated).

ww.dmc-electronics.com

Username: David_r

Post Number: 29
Marantz 6300 (6400 just came out)if you can find it for $500 is hard to beat. You may get lucky and finda 7300 for $600. I advise shying away from refurbs online.

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 38
Eardrum,
If I may ask, what dont you like about refurbs?

Rodger E
Unregistered guest
Mike D: How are you setting up so many speakers in a small space? How are you "hiding" them? I ask because I have a similar sized Manhattan apt that I would like to put a ht in, but I don't want speakers as eyseores.

Username: David_r

Post Number: 32
G. Dawg:

The same reason I dont like to buy used cars. You inherit someones else's headache. To buy a refurb off the web is crazy. The last thing I want to do is send a high end product back and forth through the mail. The only time I would consider a refurb is from a reputable local dealer whom I had a relationship with and offered the same warranty on it as if it were new. It better be priced signifigantly less than a new product also.

Marc
Unregistered guest
Refurbs are often worth considering. You usually get the same warranty. Refurbished product is often better than original, yet lower in price. Sometimes you settle for fewer accessories. If the original product was good, the refurbished is as good or better, but sometimes a little slimmed-down. Buy from someone who has been around for a while.

Marc
Unregistered guest
I always buy used cars.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us