Marantz SR6400

D. Duane
Unregistered guest
I've pretty much decided on the Marantz SR6400. It seems to offer the things I was looking for, such as A/B switching, HD component video switching and all discrete Amplifier Channels. Majority of use will be for movies and x-box. Just wanted to know if anyone is aware of any problems with these receivers. I have seen where there have been problems with the NAD 752 and Yamaha rx-v1400 which is why I decided against them. Only other possible ones I've considered are the Onkyo TXSR701 and the Yamaha HTR5590.

My speakers are currently-Paradigm center, Velodyne sub, Atlantic Tech surrounds. I'm planning on purchasing the Ascend CBM-170's for the fronts.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

Username: Fc101

Post Number: 2
Please read this review at AVSForum - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345470

I had a problem with my 5400, others have had problems with 7400. Audio dropouts on digital input, and heat problems.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 82
Why are you mixing your fronts and your center? If you like your Paradigm center buy Paradigm fronts or either or. Mixing your 3 fronts is not a good idea.

D. Duane
Unregistered guest
Francois,
Thanks for the info. Now I'm almost back at square one. Still thinking about the Onkyo TXSR701 or the Yamaha HTR5590. I may also consider the Denon AVR2803. The receiver I currently have is a Denon AVR2500 and it has been great. Just wanting to update to newer technology.

theralelitefan, you're probably right about the speakers. The fronts I have now are pretty bad. I just wasn't wanting to spend money for the Paradigms yet, with buying a new receiver. It probably makes more sense though to wait for them rather then settle for something else.

Any thoughts on the 3 receivers being considered would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Username: Amadeuz

Post Number: 5
Duane, I would check out the Marantz 6300 if you can find them anywhere online. Don't be discouraged by all this negative flak. I just got a 5300 and have had no problems whatsoever on it. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Blows my old Yamaha away especially on music. Check out the recent review of the 5400 in Sound and Vision. Marantz clearly has honest power ratings compared to the likes of Yamaha and Denon. I can't speak about the quality issues with the x400 series, but the x300 series is rock solid.

Post Number: 3
Duane, do go and listen to the Marantz, it sounds great. I do not want to put you off from buying Marantz, just test the receiver before leaving the dealer, but if you buy online, I would not suggest Marantz.

I bought the 5400 to start my HT, untill the 7400 becomes available, but are also now thinking about the new Denon 3805 (3803 replacement due March), since so many have problems with the 7400.

My first 5400 had dropout problems, but my dealer exchanged it, and this one works fine.

On the other hand, if it works, it works.

My 5400 runs a bit hot, but I played it 8hours with multich music at -20, and did not go into protection. That is with 6 channels, B&W 600 series speakers (which need a lot of power).

The 5400 had an excellent review in Sound and Vision magazine (jan 2004), also tested the output to more that spec (90Watt) with all 6 channels driven!

The link was to make you awaire of known problems.

Post Number: 4
Here is link to pdf file with 5400 lab results: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/1222003153655.pdf

D. Duane
Unregistered guest
Francois,
Thanks for the advice. I reviewed the lab results. If I were to buy a Marantz, it would be online. I'm a little bit leary now.
Both the Yamaha and Onkyo wouuld be available to me from local dealers. If I go with the Denon AVR2803, it would also be an online purchase.
Do you know anything about these three receivers?

Post Number: 5
Personally I only look at Denon and Marantz.

The Denon 2803 were also reviewed by S&V here http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=470&page_nu mber=1

The 2803 also received the receiver of the year award by I think What Hifi.

I was also interested in the 2803, which is the cheapest way in South Africa to get 7.1 receiver. (I know there is no such thing) But are goiing to wait for the 3805 with Dolby Prologic IIx.

Personally, if 90W is enough for your room, go with the 2803.

Post Number: 6
Just to add.

I have never read a post of any problems with any Denon receivers, be it audio dropouts, video problems, heat problems, or anything.

All the reviews about the Denon 3803 and 2803 was only favourable. (I think this is how its spelled, English is not my first language you know)!

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 21
Hawk has a Denon. The only complaint he has written is that it's not musical enough for his ears. I believe he listens to alot of 2 channel music. You are correct in your observation of Denon that their build quality deserves some applause.

Anon
Unregistered guest
Mr. Hawk, is getting rid of his Denon from what I read..

D. Duane
Unregistered guest
Francois,
Thanks for the informative links.
I forgot to mention that the main use for the system is probably 60% movies and 40% xbox.
We also have Karoake parties now and then(not sure any receiver could make that sound good).
I was able to go and check out the Onkyo yesterday. It sounded ok. I did like the fact that it has a powered zone 2 feature. I believe the Denon 2803 also has that feature.
Still deciding....

ISS
Unregistered guest
I would recommed the 7300 instead. Its much better than 63/6400 in movies. 43/53/6300 are all using the same 24bit CS49326 processor. Thus all will have the same limitations in movies. The 7300 uses a much more powerful 32bit CS49400 processor.

The Denon 2803 is also another HT powerhouse. It uses the SHARC hammerhead processor.

IMHO, processing power is very important in HT. If the processor is unable to decode the signal fast enough, things won't sound good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us