Marantz SR5300 or NAD T742????

Username: Rockdoctor

Post Number: 4
Can't make up my mind,, found an awesome price on Marantz SR5300 $498.00 Canadian

or $599.00 Canadian for NAD T742. Is the NAD worth $101.00 more?? Mostly used for HT.. 60% 40% music with Paradigm 7 speakers..

Kind of leaning towards the NAD...

Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 17
Don, tough choice. Go with your ears but I would put the SR5300 somewhere in between the T742 and the T752. So unless you really like the NAD (I have the SR5300 and the NADT763 and I really like the NAD sound), I think moneywise the Marantz is a better deal.

Post Number: 6
Hi Jonathan, thanks for the input..

Yes I really like the looks of the NAD and apparently the circuitry might be slightly superior on the NAD, but from reading a lot of " HAWKS" input, although he prefers the NAD the Marantz is just as good in it's own right,,

Hmmm the more I look at it The more I think you are right,, It looks like the Marantz...

I save $101.00 if I go with the Marantz and I get 6.1.

The NAD I get 5.1

If I go up one level to the T752 I am looking at $1000.00 CDN here as it is a new model..

Thanks for the input,, I'm going to sleep on it, but I think in the morning I'll take the plunge with the Marantz SR5300...

Hammersmith
Unregistered guest
Listening to Jazz piano through the Marantz 5300, is really a great experience. It richly vibrates, and sounds like the piano is here in the room.

This amp sounds smooth and lively in stereo.

HT is not too shabby either.

ISS
Unregistered guest
For HT, I would recommend the NAD. Its way more powerful than the Marantz. The Marantz produces superior stereo but is weak EI transformer simply can't do the job for HT.

For Marantz, I would recommend you spend more and go for the SR7300 instead.

I recently auditioned the SR5400/6300/7300 NAD 742/752/63.

This amp is better than the NAD 742/752 and 5300. The biggest difference is the use of the Cirrus Logic CS49400 processor. The same is sued by Rotel for is flagship RSP-1098 processor. Its far more powerful than the CS49326 used by the SR5300 (Btw, SR43/53/6300 all uses the same processor).

For sound quality, only the T763 sounds better than the Marantz but it cost about 60% more.

To further improve the sound, I gave my SR7300 Pro Gold treatment and replace the internal power lines. I cleaned all connectors in the amp with Pro gold spray and change the AC power lines to 12AWG solid core shielded cables. The results is astonishing. Detail improves tremendously. Its sounds as if there was previously a thin cloth covering the recording microphones in the recording studio and now its removed. The plucking of the guitar and symbols is very distinct. You could hear clearly the individual plucking of the strings and the vibration of the brass plate of the symbols.

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 34
so is the nature of the beast, but where do you draw the line? i started out looking at onkyo 501's and now i'm looking at the marantz 7300! i have a small room with wood floors, though the house is a split level, so three rooms really connect together. the mumbo jumbo that iss talked about seems incredibly sophisticated to me and i can't imagine i would want better sound than the marantz 7300 and a 6 speakers system of def-techs would provide anyway. where/how do you find good enough (i know there is no real answer, but...)

Super Dude 6000
Unregistered guest
so you replaced the power cord and that makes a difference? I find that hard to believe. How does spraying some gold spray improve sound? Why not just dip your receiver in gold, maybe the whole receiver would be better.. give me a break.

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 24
To further improve the sound, I gave my SR7300 Pro Gold treatment and replace the internal power lines. I cleaned all connectors in the amp with Pro gold spray and change the AC power lines to 12AWG solid core shielded cables. The results is astonishing. Detail improves tremendously. Its sounds as if there was previously a thin cloth covering the recording microphones in the recording studio and now its removed. The plucking of the guitar and symbols is very distinct. You could hear clearly the individual plucking of the strings and the vibration of the brass plate of the symbols.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAHA!!!

We got ourselves a shyster. Dip it in gold and change the wires for improved SQ! If only it were that simple.

ohle
Unregistered guest
Hi Don,

Could you let me know which store sells
the 5300 for C$498 and is that plus tax?

Thanks

Post Number: 9
A and B sound in Vancouver BC Canada sells it for that but only from Jan 2-7/04. Now it is regular price $700.00 dollars plus tax.. provincial sales tax of 7.5% and GST of 7%

teralec
Unregistered guest
HAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAHA!!!

We got ourselves a shyster. Dip it in gold and change the wires for improved SQ! If only it were that simple.

Err, although what he does seems foolish, its a step in the right direction though.

The purpose of using thick solid core cables lowers resistance and improves the electricity flow. This will help in generating a more stable since wave voltage for the AC.

Pro Gold is a quite an effective tool in cleaning contacts though. Oxides are formed in connectors right after they left the factory. I don't think many manufacturers will bother to clean the contacts during assembly of the amp. Such oxides does affect signal flow, esp. for analogue singal where the sine wave gets altered easily. To prove that cleaning and polishing contacts does make a difference,polish the contact points of your torch light and the light bulb using brasso or similar polishing agents. You will notice it become brighter.

If he is crazy enough, I would say clean the entire circuit board as well. Dust creates static. This static will affect the electrical flow too.

The "mods" don't produce alot of difference but considering some hifi folks are pretty nick pick about their toys, they will go all out to do whatever they can to improve things.

I am a computer engineer who faces problems on failed components due to oxidation on contacts (esp. memory) and dust causing computer to become unstable. It does happens esp. of old computers.

Actually, Hifi are pretty simple toys compared to computers. The level of tolerance and quality of components needed for computers aren't needed for hifi equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us