Whole House Stereo Receiver Question

Username: Kjoz

Missouri

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have been reading some of the forum discussions and I feel there are quite a few pretty intelligent audiophiles lurking here. So, my question to one and all is this.
New home construction with 16/4 cunductor wires running from our headend to 8 zones with volume controls. From each volume control we ran 16/2 conductor wires to two in ceiling(75 watt) speakers in each room (L&R). Back at the headend, all we have so far is an 8 zone volume selector. We need a receiver. What wattage receiver do we need to be looking for?
Thank you.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
It will depend on whether you think you might run all the speakers at the same time or just certain sets together. It will also depend on the quality of the reciever as much as the wattage it creates.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Read this:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/75650.html

Missouri

Post Number: 2
J.Vigne:
The majority of the time certain sets will be on together.(two sets upstairs or two sets downstairs). During the holidays when the family comes to visit, the whole system could be on at the same time.

Missouri

Post Number: 3
Do you think the Harman Kardon HK3480 would be a good receiver for our purpose?

Missouri

Post Number: 4
bump

Unregistered guest
We built a house this year and I am easily driving 4 sets of spkrs with either a 80w or 100w receiver. I use a niles spkr selector w/volume controls to do my spkr on/off and volume balancing. Even when we have a party (all on and cranked) the system was not taxed.

If I had 8 sets of spkrs, I would consider an additional niles spkr selector for the B channel
of the receiver. (4sets on a +4 sets on b).

One piece of advice that I would like to offer you is consider how similar or different your speakers are across the house with regard to the timbre. I have a pair of Klipsch RF25s in the main listening area and they are very different than the smaller speakers througout the rest of the house. I need to decrease the bass in the floor standing Klipschs but the other smaller speakers by the pool, in the kitchen, office really need the bass.

BTW, I am currently evaluating receivers and have tried Pioneer 100w home theatre, HK3480 120w stereo, Denon 395 80w stereo.

Anonymous

You could also go with purchasing just a separate amplifier to drive your home speakers instead of an A/V receiver. You can get more power, or multiple channels of power which will provide cleaner sound and more power to all the speakers. Something like a Sonance 1230 gives you 12 channels of amplification. I believe there are also some 16 channel amps out now that are fairly priced.

Missouri

Post Number: 5
Thank you so much, Actually, we are looking into getting a 12 channel amplifier and the sonance 1230 is one we have researched a bit. This way we could get a "smaller"/less expensive receiver, right? this amp and receiver are not going to be attached to anything other than the audio speakers. We are not using these for surround sound in the family room or connecting it to a tv or anything, strictly audio throughout the house.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us