Speakers to go with AVR 230

Username: Badlydrawnben

Post Number: 2
I've recently been looking into buying a new A/V receiver and HK's AVR 230 looks most appealing. It'll be used 70% music, 30% movies.

In order to save a bit of money to start, I'm just gonna get a couple of stereo speakers for now before adding a center, satellites and a sub. My price limit is about 1000$ though I could spend a little more and would be very happy if it were less. Basically that would cover the receiver and a pair of speakers. I've been thinking of getting a couple of Monitor Audio's B4s. Is this a good combo or do you guys recommend something else?

I'm not totally set on this receiver and speaker setup and am certainly open to suggustions for anything else in this price range.

anon101
Unregistered guest
try B&W 601/602/603

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 636
Your idea of the Bronze B4 is a good one. The MA's match very well with H/K and better than B&W. The B&W is a bit laid back for H/K. Go for it.

Post Number: 3
Thanks... that's exactly what I wanted to hear :p

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1427
Monitor Audio with H/K....nice combo!

Post Number: 4
I'm not too familiar with how impedance works. Does it matter that the MA B4s are 6 ohm and the AVR 230 is 8 ohm?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 639
Not a bit. Just connect them and crank it up. [at least until they start to clip]. Seriously you need to realize the MA's will need about 50-60 hours of break in time to smooth out. I have a pair of Bronze B1's in my kitchen and love them.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 55
The new infinity Beta 50s are also a real good match with the HK and sound very detailed with great bass that will make you almost forget you need a subwoofer.

Post Number: 5
The Infinities look really nice, but unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range.

One of the stores near me in Cambridge is currently out of stock of the MA B4s, but they said they'd sell me the floor demos for 20% off. I think that'd make them 480$ for the pair. Are there any real drawbacks to buying the demos? It seems like it might even be advantageous since they're already somewhat broken in.

I was also wondering what you guys thought of buying the receiver from an online dealer. I don't think any of the stores around me sell the AVR230 for less than 500$, whereas there are plenty of online retailers who sell them for easily less than 400$. Any recommendations?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 408
If you buy online, make sure the dealer is authorized. That way, the warranty will be vailid.

Post Number: 7
it looks like H/K has refurbished 330s for less than 400$ so i think i'll probably just go with that

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 60
Your really taking a chance with a refurbished system when you purchase online. IMHO it is better to buy new and avoid any potential online hassles. The AVR330 is a real good sounding receiver though.

Post Number: 8
is it really that much of a risk if you buy a refurbished one direct from harman kardon? they'll still have to honor the warranty, though if they send me a busted unit i'll have to eat the cost of shipping it back to them.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1453
It is no more a risk as buying a new one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us