Denon overrated?

Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 2
i just looked at the denon site, and seen the denon home theatre package, 4 sats, 1 sub etc. its $1400 the receiver alone on ebay brand new is $250. is this system an overrated one, or whats the deal. whats ur guyses input?

Bronze Member
Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 13
Hello Slade! Alvin here! try, if you can to stay away from the all in one set up! Concentrate on a receiver you will be happy with, and then speakers you like, that will compliment the receiver(sound wise) and the other way around! you will be much happier with this arrangement! Dont forget decent cables all around! And NO, that isnt to suggest that you need to buy the most expensive, or super premium (price too) name brand cables! Loan a couple of different brand cables from a retailer, and audition them, on both music and film! You will know when you have acheived the right mix! Also dont forget speaker placement will make or break you entire system, sound wise that is!
Alvin

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1355
Slade,
Stay away from pre-packaged speakers from Denon as they sound terrible with any receiver. The construction is very shoddy and the materials look cobbled together. It is a better idea to stick with speakers from manufacturers who specialize in speakers.
cheers

Alvin,
I see you are from westsac, we used to live in that area 6 years ago. Is the Beat still around?
cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 17
Yes Berny the Beat goes on! I still visit, still cool people, used cd's, vinyl, tapes, new too! The have a beverage bar now, coffee, tea soda etc, with litening station's available!
Alvin

Post Number: 9
hey! thanx guys.. thank you for all your advice! hows this for a system. im thinking the harmon/kardon avr 630 with the athena technologies B2. for the front and rears. and a velodyne subwoofer. also, what cables do you suggest, monster cables, better cables, or radio shack brand? this isnt top of the line which i focus for my main home theatre room.. this is just for the bedroom. is this a good choice?

Anonymous100
Unregistered guest
Slade, I have no experience with the pre-package Denon stuff, but on the other hand the AVR 3805 beats the H/K 630 hands down, read the reviews...I'd look at Paradigm with the Denon, It is a great combination that has a very seductive sound. How much are you looking to spend? I think from there people might be able to help you a little better, I don't wan't to sell you a BMW if you have a Honda budget :-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1366
Slade,
Regarding cables...just get cables that are well constructed. I don't like Radio Shack, because the quality control seems to lacking. Better cables are good, Blue Jeans, Kimber and Acoustic Research.

Post Number: 10
haha, like the BMW honda quote, thats great! um, the budget is well, the sky is the limit, ill spend whatever. i would like to keep it a bit down though because this is only a bedroom unit. dont want to go psychotic like i did with my main home theatre room.. damn wilson audio and krells are expensive. oh and berny, thanx man! im thinkin kimber or acoustic research. is monster cables any good? thanx guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
anonymous100 i cant find the AVR 3805. im lookin on the H/K site. is it on there? where can i get it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ohh, sorry anonymous100, haha i just realized ur talking about denon. 2grand lol.. should i spend 2 grand on a receiver for my bedroom only? or should i go less?

Anonymous100
Unregistered guest
Slade,

If you're looking to spend 2grand I would recommend (in order)
1. Arcam AVR 300 if too expensive look for the AVR 250 coming soon...
2. Rotel 1056 w/ a 1050 seperate amp makes the combo 7.1
3. Nad t773
4. If your looking for seperates 2000.00 is a little low but you can still look at Outlaw Audio

All of the above are one step above from your everyday Audio Video receivers such as Denon, Yamaha, Sony, HK....

Don't spend less, buy what you want now piece by piece if you have to, if you settle for something less...you'll be disapointed and want to upgrade later, I've listen to the above noted receivers and believe me you can't go wrong with any of them...Good Luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
awesome, thanks dude. but quick question to this. this isnt for my main home theatre room. this is just a bedroom unit. should i still beef it up to what you mentioned? and what spakers should go with your receiver choices

Anonymous100
Unregistered guest
Hi Slade,

If this is for your bedroom, I'd recommend the Rotel 1056, it's a 5.1 receiver that is upgradable in the future if need be, as far as speakers...I like the Paradigm they are a good match and just like you they are also from Canada (Me too) lets say the Mini Monitors all the way around with a PDR 10 (Subwoofer) and a CC370 for the center. I guaranty you you will not be disapointed.

Purchase your fronts and the sub for now (if it's too much $) than later you can buy the center and the rears. enjoy :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
lol, how much do i splerg no this Rotel 1056 receiver, and these Paradigm speakers? PDR 10 is also by Paradigm? great!, i think ill go for these then!

Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 5
In Canadian dollars you can get the Rotel 1056 at around $1700.00 plus all applicable taxes, I can't seem to find anyone on the web that can beat that price. If you shop around you can pick up a PDR 10 for approx. $400 the Mini Monitors for about $380/pair and the CC370 for around $350 all of the above are Paradigm speakers, and believe me for the money you can't beat them....i've tried :-)

(formely Anonymous100...I've finally registered)

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 242
Man...$2000 in your bedroom? Rotel? Arcam? T773? Outlaw? Must be some bedroom!! I guess I must have a severe case of "bedroom envy" :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Alright im confinced. im going to go with the Rotel 1056, the Paradigm mini monitor 2 sets, the PDR 10, and the CC370. so thats hmm $3100. lol, oh boy this must sound good then. do they sell at visions do you know? i got a buddy who works there, maybe he can order and squeeze me a discount. 40% cant beat it! haha Sem, bedroom envy eh?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Go Big or go Home, is that what they say? :-)

Point is you enjoy your Music and your Movies why not treat yourself, and if you buy everything piece by piece (if it's too expensive) you'll appreciate it and will not want to upgrade to something new for years to come.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
absolutely! Thats correct, ill enjoy my music and movies, with style. BIG sound, and entertainment! And if i skimp out now, and go cheap with some peice of crap JVC, or some Sony 5peice system then ill really be cheap. Go big so i can have these untill im 400, have 5% hearing left, and crank that thing up to max, and still bump to the music, or movies.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You only live once, make the most of it...:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Thats right!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us