YPAO in Yamaha RX-V650

Username: Nepenthes

Post Number: 1
Anybody tried out the YPAO on Yamaha RX-V650? Does it work well, or is it just one of those techno fads? This is my first hi-fi system. I've no experience in calibrating speakers, so I'm tempted to get it. It is available in my country for US$380. I'm thinking of pairing it up with Onkyo SKS-HT240. I know that's just a 6.1 system, while the 650 is 7.1. But I can live with that.
Any comments or suggestions? Am I doing something really stupid?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1413
in my oppinion Nepenthes Sun the yamaha 1400 and 2400 are the only yamaha
recievers that have come out in the past few years that are really nice units.

also the automatic calibration thing most units these days have
something simular. but i don't find it a must.

you could look at the marantz/pioneer elite or
the h/k lines of recievers for something that is
usually a step above the yamaha units.

Username: Nepenthes

Post Number: 4
Thanks Kegger,
However, even the yamaha 1400 is quite a bit over my budget... I hope to keep my whole system, including a DVD player, under $1000.
I've read mixed reviews about the auto-calibration, and lower-end units also have lower end auto-calibration anyway...

John 85212
Unregistered guest
Try the Pioneer VSX-1014, I have one and am completely satisfied. It has an automated set up system and it works quite well, sets levels, EQ's the output to match the rooms acoustics, measures the distance to the speakers and automatically sets the delays. Many have compared this receiver to an Pioneer Elite 52tx, and except for a few Technical differences, it is. The elite has a better power supply and uses copper for some internal connections, all good things, but in the real world I'm sure actual perceivable performances are equivocal. That comment may incite some controversy but incrimental improvements in any product line tend to look better on paper then real world everyday performance. As the improvements cumulatively raise the bar you will cross certain thresholds where the differences becomes substantial and are worth the additional expense. Or simply put, is it worth it to spend 50% more for a 5-10% better product? Depends on personal circumstances.

And I shouldn't neglect the most important feature, the sound of the VSX-1014 is great.

Check out the Pioneer website for the specs. on this model. Also, there are many comments about this receiver on other threads here.

The VSX-1014 can be bought over the internet for $380-$450 on various websites.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us