Good matching receiver with NHT SB2?

brandi
Unregistered guest
I need to get a receiver around $500 tp match my NHT SB2. I was thinking of maybe HK, Denon, or something else. Any suggestions would help.

75%/25% music/movies in a small/medium with hardwood floor room.

Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 618
I suggest the Marantz 5400. Great receiver for the money and since it will soon be replaced there should be some bargains on it. You can find it for around $450 or so now. Will match the NHT's beautifully.

Bronze Member
Username: Nm2285

Delaware

Post Number: 12
Marantz is a good suggestion. HK would be too. Denon and NHT makes for too bright a combo for me (I own the SB2s and had a Denon for a while). You need a warmer sounding receiver. I currently use NAD with good results.

brandi
Unregistered guest
Now the hard decision. Do I keep the 4 NHT SB2s and ditch the Denon 1803 (got as a gift) and replace it with Marantz 5400? Or, get rid of the NHT SB2s, keep the Denon 1803 and go with Paradigms Studio 20s?

I think it comes down to either one of these combos?

Which one would you go with?

Special thanks to Nm2285 because the Denon/NHT seems bright when I listened to it, but I thought it was only me.

I used to have paradigm mini-monitors/denon and it was a warmer sound that I like, but didn't care for the cabinet finish so I switch to NHT. Can I get the same warm sound with NHT/Marantz combo?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 621
brandi,
I do not think the Denon 1803 is a good enough receiver to be paired with the Studio 20's. I would keep the NHT's and get the Marantz.You should though be aware that a Marantz/Paradigm combo would not be a good match either as that would be too laid back or warm etc. The NHT's are wonderful speakers and paired with the 5400 would be very nice. Good luck and keep us informed.

brandi
Unregistered guest
The Marantz looks really solid and I'm sure it would be perfect. I'm a tad concerned about buying a receiver on-line just in case something goes wrong.

Cambridge Soundworks has it for $549+tax. I don't mind paying a little extra for the assurance of having a place to bring it into if something happens.

One last question, I know Pioneer is probably not in the same class as Marantz, but would the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K be close to the Marantz 5400? My mate can get me a good deal on this and it would save me $100+. If there is a big difference, I don't mind paying more for a superior product of Marantz.

Thanks,
brandi

brandi
Unregistered guest
Got it! I went with the Marantz 5400 because I wanted something that would be good for music. HK was ruled out because the blue is just a tad too modern/funky for me and the rest of my othere components.

Thank you everybody for being so kind and helpful with people like myself who are just starting to get into audio.

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
So how do you like the 5400 and are you going to keep your NHT's? Keep us posted and happy listening.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us