Harman Kardon or Marantz? using infinity system...

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Hello I'm form Italy, this is my current configuration:

Receiver: Yamaha rxv340
Speakers: Infinity Alpha HCS 2

I like yamaha sound but I think that if I change the amplifier I'll gather some quality more.

I don't have so much budget to buy a very big amplifier so I think to buy one of theese models:

Harman Kardon avr 130 or 230
Marantz SR 4400

If I upgrade my system to 6.1 will I have so much quality, also if there aren't so much films in 6.1? Ah I forgot to tell you that my room is not too big..about 4x3 meters and I'can't listen at high volume..

With my system I'd like to see films listen music and play videogames.

Thanks for helping me.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 501
I would not get the AVR130 or SR4400, they both are very limited on features and not that much cheaper than the great SR5400 or AVR230.

amit
Unregistered guest
Hi Pecio

If those are your option I'd go for the HK:
better sound quality
better bass managment flexebility
one step up in quality

I think you should compere them to the SR5400 which is one or two steps up from the SR4400 in sound quality and have better flexebility .

anyway you should try and listen to them and deside for yourself

in small rooms there is littel diference between 5.1/6.1

if I were you I'd save the mony and go with avr130
but thats just me.

good luck
amit

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
I would have to disagree with amit on the sound quality. Marantz is a few steps ahead especially with music. More natural and pleasing sound with a lot more details than H/K.

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your replies, but if you have other amplifiers better please tell me...
For examples the new yamaha amplifier rxv550 or denon 1804 are good products or it's always better h/k or marantz?
Landroval..thanks, but how many difference there are within marantz 4400 or 5400 (not ose) and H/k avr 130 and 230? So for you the best it's marantz? it's better if I don't buy Harman Kardon? Please help to decide because I want to buy an amplifier that I'll not change for at least two years, and I must also decide to remain in a 5.1 system or change in 6.1 if it's a good idea..

Marantz 5400 it's too expensive for me...
I think that I'll go to buy avr 230 because if in the future I can change to 6.1 system

The problem is that here in Italy the prices are too high...do you know a web store where I can buy amplifier at good prices shipped to Italy? Thanks.

If you have other advises for me please let me know. Thanks again!

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
Marantz and H/K are among the best there is. Onkyo is good also, but I dont especially like Yamaha or Denon.

German on-line shops have cheap prises and most of them will ship anywhere in Europe. Payment can be done beforehand or sometimes with cash on delivery.

The Marantz SR5400 can be had for ~415euro and the AVR230 for ~450euro. Delivery to Italy will be around 20-50euro.

You can check prises here:
http://www12.guenstiger.de/gt/main.asp?suche=&kid=44&sub=627&sort=preis

And some good on-line shops:
http://www.hirsch-ille.de/
http://www.hifinesse.com/
http://www.tsnversand.de/
http://www.mediacheckpoint.de/
http://www.technikdirekt.de/
There are of course many more, but you can find them through guenstiger.

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 42
I don't think that the avr130 has the bass managment stuff the avr230 has.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 328
Shank: actually, and this is why H/K's price point is so amazing, the AVR-130 and AVR-230 have triple-crossover bass management. The AVR-330 and above have quadruple-crossover bass management.

The previous products (the AVR-x25 series), only had the triple crossover starting with the AVR-325. I continue to be impressed by the number of features that H/K has in their base product set (even at the lower end models).

Pecio
Unregistered guest
THanks for the info that you give to me...I've checked german web sites and I see that if I buy the H/K 230 for 450 euro I must add 50 € for shipping and cost of payment, So it will'cost 500..
I've found a shop in Italy where hk 230 costs 520 € delivered, marantz 4400 costs 450 € delivered...5400 there, is too expensive
In this italia store they also sell Onkyo sr501 for 399 € delivered..is it good? or it's always best h/k or marantz?

this is the italian web site:

www.magicsound.it

In this store they've said to me that I can buy for surround back channel this speaker:

Wharfedale: WH-2 Centre cost: 55 €

Is it good? please let me know..also for Onkyo that is much cheaper!

amit
Unregistered guest
Landroval,

I did A/B compare between marantz sr4400 and HK avr130 and there is no compering.

the 4400 is realy realy weak and is two steps from sr5400 wich is very good (like all higher marantz models).

from here up it is only a matter of taste

regards
amit

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Ok thanks...now I've decided to buy or harman kardon avr 230 or Onkyo txsr-501e? that is much cheaper? Which is better to play music and movies with infinity? Which is the amplifier that will give to me more features and more quality?
Last question...it's a good idea to buy as surround back this speaker:
Wharfedale: WH-2 Centre

Please let me know it's important!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
amit, Ok I though the SR4400 would sound as good as the 5400 and 6300 that I have some experience with.

Pecio, the Infinitys tend to be a little bright, so the H/K would be a good match. The SR501 is also a fine receiver but it has less features than the H/K. Both will do everything you need, but the H/K will probably do it better.

It would be best to get an Infinity for the surround back. The Alpha series is discontinued, so you'll need to check Beta and Primus models. I dont know if they sound much different than the Alphas, but probably less different than a Wharfedale. I suggest you get a Beta C250 center and put it as your front center and move the somewhat low quality HCS2 center as your rear center. Also you could get a pair of Beta 10 or Beta 20 and put one a front center and the other as rear center. That way you could easily later upgrade your system with more Betas if you like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
Pecio, I went to see that magicsound shop, and they did still have the Alpha Center for 189e. If I were you I would get the SR501 and Alpha Center.

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Thanks Landroval...so Infinity's Beta are much better than alpha? The problem for the infinity alpha center at 189 is that I think that isn't the same color as my current system HCS2 and it's not good looking..
The amplifier? you're sure that I can also get the onkyo? H/k has more features, but the difference it's not too much?

Thanks and sorry to bother you again!

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
All your speakers should sound the same, so it would be better to get an Alpha rather than Beta. If there is no other way than going with Beta, then Beta it is.

The main features missing from the Onkyo are pre-outs for adding an additional power amp. If you dont feel you'll ever need it then you can get it, but of course it's up to you. Better speakers make always a bigger difference than better amps.

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much Landroval, you helped me a lot!

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Landroval..I see that are out two new amplifiers..the Onkyo TX-SR502 and Marantz SR4500

I've buy a new DVD, the Onkyo DV-SP501...for you theese two new amplifier will be a good match with my Infinity aplha and DVD? Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
Both should be good, but I would rank the Marantz higher because it's more musical and probably a better match with your Infinity speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 68
New denon and marant caming and available in september.

See the marantz Sr4550 (way better than 4400) and the Sr5500 (or yhe current sr5400 at a good price).

Denon AVr2105 also, it will be a success.

Pecio
Unregistered guest
Where I can buy Marantz sr4500 or Onkyo sr502? Here in italy It's not for sale now...if buy it on the USA?

Username: Gobble1

GAINESVILLE, FL United States

Post Number: 2
I've been looking at the Onkyo 502. It's availabe in US @ Vanns.com and crutchfield.com. Don't know about shipping overseas tho.

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
Shipping will be too expensive. You should wait until they'll be available in Europe.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 75
Get them in Germany net shops when launched
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us