Koss cdr200

Username: Mad_scientist

Post Number: 1
Hi all, i have an older koss cdr200 that the "b" deck will not read anything i put in it. i did allot of research and found everything from a dirty lens to a defective laser. this is a 2001 model and not sure if it is worth trying to have it fixed, i'm not sure if there is support for these products anymore. i have cleand the lens and the rubberpad on the rotor and it still won't work. has anyone been successful with fixing this particular problem?

from what i have read since 2001 it seems like 98% of these cdr's are junk as i found out with my panny DMR-E100H that has a dead ram drive( 1000 dollar machine) i guess i should consider myself lucky as i had the cdr200 for 11 years before it died. the sad thing is even though if you can buy the replacement laser assembly and communications board there is no garrenty it will work.

i have been into electronics repair for the last 25 years and i have never seen this kind of poor Quality, and lack of customer service for a product. and this is due to what i have read here before about the big name brands being bought and sold to the lowest outsourced companys in third world countrys. i myself have decided to go back to audio cassets and reel to reel tape decks as these units have stood the test of time. so for anyone considering paying good money for one of these cdr's i would think twice, at a 90% chance it wont work right out of the box or soon fail from new you would be better off taking that money and spend it on cases of advil for the migraine headaches that those cdr machines will give you.

before i take my 50 pound sledghammer to this unit i am wondering if anyone has had any success at either repairing one of these or having it repaired, any info would be helpfull, like parts sources, a valid costomer service # and the like.

thaks to all for any help.

Post Number: 2
i know it may be pointless to ask this but here it is anyway. would anyone know what if any reputible model cdr's that are being made today? thank you

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2822
Don't know about the current CDr stuff, but a dozen years is OK for a CD player.
And yes, support for older stuff is marginal. That's why I'm migrating toward computer audio. Reading a CD into the computer using a 30$ drive and error correction is a bunch better than an expensive CD player which will go South sooner or later.

'Vintage stereo repair' is out there.......Some specialize in certain brands or types of gear.

Post Number: 3
i was also thinking of using the computer for that purpose. it probably would be easier and cheaper to do so. from what i have seen over the years that "cd recorder and dvd recorder" craze was probably another "fad' just like anything else. i was just going to toss that koss in t he trash, but instead i just put it to the side and see if another pops up say on craigslist and if the price is right i might pick it up to play around with.

and, i have seen some of the vintage stereo repair services out there, but i can't justify that large of a repair bill for a unit such as this, as it will most definetely come close to the origional purchase price. thank you for your reply.}

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1853
"Don't know about the current CDr stuff, but a dozen years is OK for a CD player.
And yes, support for older stuff is marginal. That's why I'm migrating toward computer audio. Reading a CD into the computer using a 30$ drive and error correction is a bunch better than an expensive CD player which will go South sooner or later."

I couldn't agree more. I've been burning CDs on the PC for years now and it works out very well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us