HK 3380 Receiver ? Best matching speakers?

John in New York
Unregistered guest
I'm in the market for a new receiver and am about ready to buy the Harmon Kardon HK3380. Surfing here and elsewhere, I've seen lots of good reviews for HK receivers generally and for that unit. I prefer the old fashioned stereo set up, require an input for a turntable so that eliminates some models (ie NAD), would prefer to spend under $300 and like the idea of being able to add a subwoofer. As I will be running smaller speakers (see below), I don't think I need the added power of the HK3480. I'll be playing vinyl, cd's (broad range of styles) dvds, tuner and TV. This seems like the best unit for me. Is there something else I should consider? Any thoughts on the pricier Marantz SR4320?

Also, I need some new speakers as well but have a small apartment with little space so I'd like something compact. Because of limited space, I can't position the speakers optimally so I need a pair that are forgiving in that regard. What would match well with the HK 3380?

Anonymous

John

What the heck are you doing in New York?

Bronze Member
Username: Ben805

Post Number: 15
I just bought a brand new HK3480 at J&R for $299 shipped, when you need the power it's there so I would get the 3480 instead of 3380, it's much easier to blow a driver with underpower than overpower. I have a small listening room as well, after weeks of research and comparison, I went with the Axiom M2i, and will eventually get a sub. If you don't want to bother with any sub then consider the M3ti, a much better all around speakers. They are very linear, and forgiving regarding location.

Bronze Member
Username: Ben805

Post Number: 16
By the way, with a sub, the M2i is highly recommended over M3ti, check the review at Soundstage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us