Setting levels when recording to CDs

Unregistered guest
I'm wanting to compile music from a CD collection and stuff recorded from XM satellite radio. So far I've got a couple hundred tracks on minidisc. I have tried the best I can to get the levels even using the meter on my MD deck, but there's still quite a variation of subjective volume.

I want to get a CD recorder to make these into CDs, and I'm thinking of the Sony W500. Is there a way to use this ... or something else ... to synchronize levels when recording? Is this something that can be done using PC software?

Should I get professional equipment to do this?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 360
one way to do it is to convert everything to analog and fix the levels from there, then record it to a cd.

Punkrocker from Sweden
Unregistered guest
If you prefer to do this on you computer I suggest using a Loudness Maximizer (you can get it as a Direct X & VST plug-in for applying it in programs that supports these plugs), the same tool studio engineers use to even out the levels when mastering albums thus altering/ruining the original dynamics of your tracks.

With some proper tweaking this will push all the levels up to the ideal zero dB limit.

There is a good one included in Steinberg Millenium Edtion Packs, although I prefer the one in Izotrope's fabulous mastering pack Ozone 2. Just watch out for over-compression, as the tool easily does this if used heavily.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/virtual_effect_processors/masteringedition/ index.php?sid=0

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/features.html

Good luck!

sonny
Unregistered guest
I have bought a CD Recorder for recording LP's to CD. The manual is useless, I would think that it would be the same as recording to a tape deck, in that you simply plug the CD recorder into one of the Reciever's "out" plugs, then switch the selector knob to Phono and then turn on the Cd recorder and start to record. I'm I close in the way this is done?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us