Shortage of optical inputs

Username: Aubrey

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
I was curious if anyone could find a solution to my problem. I have two satellite receivers and a DVD player that all have optical outputs. But this is where my problem lies my HT receiver only has two optical inputs. I was thinking maybe I would use the co-axial output on one of my satellite receivers, but I really didn't want to do this. I'm under the impression that the optical output is what gives you true digital sound or maybe the co-axial output is just as good I don't know ? I was thinking if I go the optical route like I wanted to there would be something at radioshack or somewhere else that sells a device that would solve this problem. Oh by the way I using a Harmon Kardon AVR210 receiver. I would really appreciate if someone could solve this problem for me.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1531
Coaxial digital output is just as good and will also give you true digital surround. Don't fret, you'll be fine:-)

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 742
Actually the coaxial is theoretically a better connection because with it there is no need for electrical->optical conversions. In practice optical and coaxial are the same.

Username: Aubrey

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Cool thanks a lot Berny an Landroval I feel a lot better now and you learn something everyday

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 42
I also prefer the sound of the coax myself, there you go problem solved.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2149
Dan,

You can also buy an Y-junction for optical TOS-link cables. Some just divide one cable in to two (equals merge two into one); others have a switch so you can choose between two or more inputs or ouputs. They are inexpensive. Yes, Radioshack should have them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us