Post Number: 46
Dropped to 180 a piece at Best Buy.

billy bob
Unregistered guest
are they any good?

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 171
BBob - that is the perennial question. I found them flabby, bass heavy and didn't feel the cabinets were 'squat' in terms of solidity. They were $600, now clearance, demo and sale prices have reduced them to 1/3 the original price. Similarly, STEREOPHILE gave them a hearty endorsement. Plus they are being auditioned under some of the worst setting and equipment arrangments imaginable at BB. You'll have to go listen for yourself. I found them to be oversized and underperforming.

Bronze Member
Username: Nealm

Post Number: 47
many people listened to them in the best buy store room floor for 3 minutes before making their decision on them. while i wont endorse them as the greatest thing since sliced bread, you cant go wrong with a pair for $360. best buy also has them hooked up to a rather underpowering receiver, although i have seen some people mistakenly giving the best buy receiver (yamaha R-V905) credit for being more than it really is. if youre looking for a lower mid-fi system on your budget id recommend them.

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 22
My abject apologies for the double post, but I am very curious about these speakers that seem to be relatively inexpensive. How do you think they compare with the polk r50's or monitor 60's, or the klipsch rf-15's

Thank you!!

Username: Andyj

Van Alstyne, TX United States

Post Number: 9
I have the AS-F2's paired with an HK 330. AS-C1 as the center, AS-B2 as surrounds and an Adire Rava sub. I listen to music 75% and found them quite pleasing. This system is also no slouch when it comes to playing movies.

Inazona
Unregistered guest
I've had mine for about 5 months and they were a bit bright at first but not anymore. I'm running them thru a parasound power amp. In past few days I've auditioned paradigm studio 60's and B&W 704's and when I came home my speakers sounded pretty darn good compared to them. I think it is unfair to relegate these merely the "lower midfi" category. When broken in and paired with good equipment they are pretty impressive, although they are not the most beatiful looking boxes. For home theater I am completely happy with these as my fronts, but for music I would rather have something with a bit more 'holographic' imaging/soundstage like some nice big maggies. I will listen to the new Gallo reference III's this weekend which I've heard are pretty amazing.

Bronze Member
Username: Gio

Post Number: 25
Never heard thes speakers but just found this review :

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/athena_asf2.htm

Sounds too good to be (completely) true....

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 44
I have had these speakers teamed up with a NAD C370 since May'04. Yes, they need to be broken in. The sound gets fuller and tweeters gradually become less bright. In my opinion, they have great detail and now sound natural and transparent. They sound good at low volume with classical or easy listening music yet have the capability of effortlessly blowing the windows out with some hard rock or dance while keeping their accuracy. I paid full price and think they are worth every penny. I love the way they look with their grills off too! If you get them on sale or on clearance, great for you. Enjoy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us