Bought new tube amp. Have no clue on a player. help!

Bronze Member
Username: Riffman

Post Number: 11
The Primaluna Prologue Two KT88 tube integrated will be arriving Monday. I have never had a tube amp and I was planning getting a better dedicated cd player to go with it. I like the sound of tubes but don't want things to be too laid back. My budget is around $1,000 to 1,200. It will be less than this if I cannot sell my two Outlaw Monoblocks. If that's the case, then I'm looking at $600 to $700. Any tube folks out there that can help?

dcg69
Unregistered guest
Hello Rudy,

I would consider a AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with tube output. On the Net you can find several reviews ( editorial and consumer )
I have it as well as the Primaluna Prologue Two, and they are a really nice combination.
My system here :http://my.hifi.nl/index.php?user=648

Bye,
dcg69

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I'd buy whatever player you like. The Primaluna isn't old school tubes so there shouldn't be much to consider in terms of too laid back. Particularly if your speakers have been balanced for the Outlaw. What deck have you been using up to now?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
dcg69, funny, I actually found your page previously on the net and was quite impressed. Its nice to have a dedicated room. Also funny was that I think I just decided last night to get the AH!. Have you tried other tubes besides the E288C? I was thinking of getting one other pair of tubes besides the stock - the Ediswans, the Amperex Orange Globes 6DJ8 (although quite expensive), or the Siemens 7308. Do you know which one would be best for detail/resolution?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
J. Vigne, I've never had a tube before nor do I remember hearing one so this experience has been a real eye/ear opener. I have no idea what old school tubes sound like but I gather from what you say that the old school tubes are more relaxed.

I'm using a Technics five cd changer and Axiom M60s. To be completely honest, I am amazed at how well my system sounds after getting this amp. The detail and the dynamics are quite amazing as is the huge soundstage on some recordings (Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' or Radiohead's 'Kid A' were two good examples). The bass seems like real bass to me. I sold the Outlaw Monoblocks to help funding for the new equipment. I don't know if it is this specific amplifier or tubes in general but I'm truly amazed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
So, I'm probably going to get the AH! with the power cord, OPA627, and a extra set of tubes. I'm not convinced that a power cord makes a difference nor am I convinced that cables or shoes make a difference also (no offense to anyone who does).

I can get upsampling players for around the same price on audiogon but I guess the difference is that I'm getting this player new. The Ah! doesn't seem to be the inexpensive player that it is advertised when you factor in the extras. (this is not a criticism if it will sound good)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us