Bose lifestyle 12 system

I want to buy a 8 channel receiver am cosidering Onkyo-ds989 or B & K avr-307 and would like to use the bose speakers and subwoofer if this is possible or what speaker similar in size could i purchase.

Hector Pacheco
I'm looking to add a powered subwoofer to my music listening system. Yamaha 150 watt amplifier (no subwoofer port), will have to install speaker level way. Have Bose 301V speakers rated at 150 watt. Question: will a power subwoofer rated at 100 watt work well, or will the 150 watt power output of the amplifier blow the 100 watt subwoofer? Should I match the power output of the amplifier with the subwoofer's capability?

Gail Holland
Hello out there.I am looking for anyone who owns the Kenwood VR-510 home theater receiver. I would like to read your opinions,evaluations on this particular receiver.I am interested in the fact that it is THX-Select certified and seems to have very good features.I am very interested in it's pre-out capabilities allowing seperate amplifiers to be used if desired.So if you own this receiver please post your opinion and evaluation.I would be most interested to see what you think.Thank you.

For Brenton P. Fairweather: I don't have any clue, sorry.

For Hector Pacheco: you can hook any powered subwoofer to your amplifier, regardless their power rating.

For Gail Holland: THX select is just a certification to certify that your receiver has met the THX standard, it's useless if your other components don't bear THX certification either.

Anonymous
THX is crap only very few amps are really build to THX spec most are ........well ugly and sound horrible any well designed high current amp will outperform THX

Michael Burns
This is for Gail Holland: To expand on the comments previously made THX in a receiver is comprised of to things. The first being the Certification by THX. The process of certification is actually a pretty rigorous process some companies will actually use it to prove their products as opposed to doing the testing themselves. However the most important part is the post-processing that is done by all THX receivers. This is made up of five seperate processes: Re-Equalization, Bass Management, Timbre Matching, Time Syncronization, Adaptive Decorrelation.
Re-Equalization edges back some of the High frequencies that are needed in a large theater to overcome the space, people, plush carpeting, and speakers being behind the screen. All of these things absorb energy of the soundwaves. In a theater setting they are amped up to make sure the sound gets to the back row. Lucas and his engineers saw ths as a problem when soundtracks are moved into the smaller environments of the home.
Bass Management is the process that cuts the lowest frequencies from playing to the much smaller rear speakers that most people have in their home theaters. Saving wear and tear and keeping the small speakers from trying to create to much bass, while sending those frequencies to the Sub.
Timbre Matching is the prcess that matches the tonal quality of all your speakers so that when Arnold is on the Harley in Terminator 2 it doesn't sound like it changes to a scooter when the sound pans from speaker to speaker.
Time Syncronization is simply telling your receiver thee distance that your speakers are from the listening position so the receiver will delay sounds when needed to create a kind of virtual center. Most often used in rooms where speakers have funny placement.
Next is Adaptive Decorrelation This is not used very much in 5.1 mostly in Pro-Logic or PLII to create a stereo feel when rear speakers are in a Mono mode.
This is a pretty simple explanation of what THX is in a receiver. There are all sorts of things in a system that can be and are certified: cables, DVD players, Speakers, and even room design. If you want to have THX certified home theater all of these would need to be certified. However you will get some benefits to THX in your receiver. Now this is not to say that receivers that are not certified are inherently bad i.e Yamaha does not have any of their gear certified and is generally considered some of the better gear on the market. THX or not your receiver is as important as the speakers. It is after all the engine that is driving them. What I would recommend is to buy the best one that you can afford because in electronic you do get what you pay for. Purchase from a reputable dealer, and make sure tht they have a reasonable upgrade or return policy. This is just in case you get it home and it sounds bad. The room is the last step from the electronics to your ear and some stuff will sound better than others. To find a decent dealer I suggest lookin in the back of Home Theater Magazine and check into their dealer listing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us