HARMAN KARDON HK3480 vs. ONKYO TX-SR601

Username: Ben805

Post Number: 3
has anybody ever compare the two? I'll use it solely for music and occationally movie, which one would you chose and why? both cost about the same but the TX-SR601 seems like a better bang for the buck, 85w x6 vs HK's 120w x2. Though to run on Stereo mode plus a sub I would assume the HK3480 would sound much cleaner and blow the TX-SR601 out of the water? Axiom M2i will be use for main speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 372
Benjamin: I've only compared them via the specifications and haven't listend to them personally, so take this as opinion only.

The H/K 3480 is going to blow the socks off the Onkyo TX-SR601 anyhow. I think the H/K -- musically -- outshines the Onkyo because it is laid back and rather neutral.

It's just tough to compare a multi-channel amplifier (SR601) to a stereo amplifier (H/K 3480). It's unfair to tell you the truth. The H/K 3840, while rated at 120W x 2, will certainly give you much more than that before clipping (and/or 1.0% THD). H/K amplifier sections are underrated and are usually twice the advertised wattage than their competitors (Sony amongst the worse).

If you really only need stereo and don't need matrixed surround (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc), you may want to go with the H/K 3380 which is 80W x 2 in stereo. It would still blow the socks off the Onkyo TX-SR601 in stereo modes.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Please try to audition these two excellent receivers -- in each their own right -- yourself. Preferably in your own home with your own speakers and your own music.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 568
If you need just stereo then you buy just stereo. The H/K will be a much better choice, although you should get a good DVD-player with it because the DA-conversion will be done in the player instead of the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 374
landroval: I like your Reader's Digest version better than what I wrote! The consideration for teh DVD/CD player is noteworthy as well. Thanks!

Post Number: 4
ok, then I'll shoot down the Onkyo and go H/K, being able to hook up an additional sub to the H/K is a big plus as I can use the setup to watch movie sometime, I could care less about surround and all that jazz as well. I wonder how well does it handle mp3 when I hook it up to my computer, have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard....

what kind of dvd-player do you guys recommmend to go along with it? I want something simple and don't need any bell and whistle like the recording feature or the changer.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 569
If a sub has high level passthrough you can hook it to anything, but the line level out from the H/K is nice none the less. It'll play MP3s fine.

A matching H/K DVD22 will do fine for the player. It can play MP3 CD's, has good DAC's and isn't too expensive.

Post Number: 5
ok, then I'll shoot down the Onkyo and go H/K, being able to hook up an additional sub to the H/K is a big plus as I can use the setup to watch movie sometime, I could care less about surround and all that jazz as well. I wonder how well does it handle mp3 when I hook it up to my computer, have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard....

what kind of dvd-player do you guys recommmend to go along with it? I want something simple and don't need any bell and whistle like the recording feature or the changer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us