NAD AV-Receivers and her problem...

Hakki99
Hi all,

I'm using actually the NAD 320 BEE + NAD 532 DVD Player. I thinking now about a new AV NAD Receiver.

As we all propably know, The NAD's has some "problems" and bugs. I've read here the most threads about this. Now I would like to know, which NAD Rec. are without these bugs. I will compare the actually with the comming NAD Receivers (like 753 / 763)

- 752/751
- 762/761

So all I know Is the 752 has many many bugs which I will not accept in this price class.

What is about the 742 ? Are here the same problems like with the 752 Rec ? Can someone maybe comare this two ?

I'm looking just for an good 5.1 NAD Receiver (shld be enought) as I said above without these "bugs".

I would also take one older models. But I will not have the bugs !!!!!!

Smitty
Hakki99,

I've had the T742 for just over a month now and haven't noticed any of the bugs, no ticking sounds, no hissing, no radio bleed through, no sudden jumps in volume etc. In fact the firmware on the T742 has never been revised so I think that's a good sign that it's ok.

The sound is excellent but it doesn't have many features found in other receivers in it's price range such as re-assiginable digital inputs, digital outputs, component video switching. If these are important to you I'd suggest waiting for the T743.

hakki99
Sorry, I have a typingerror above....I mean I will NOT compare the current NAD REc. wit the new ones like ....743/753/763.

So back to this. Smitty, Thanks for your kind help. I think the futures (743) are not so important for me. I have also thogh about the 742. Cause 752 is great but the bugs. So I don't know now if the 742 has the same problems. Okay. You say 742 has no problems. sounds great !

So I think I will take them.

BTW I'm using KEF Q1 Loudspeakres. My room is 18 qm.

What I need is a good surround sound , and STEREO sound. Thats important.

What is exactly the funtion viedeo switching ? I will use my NAD DVD 532 with the 742. Digital connected I think. This is possible or ? cause you wrote the 742 has no digi inputs.

Smitty
Hakki99,

Any DVD player will work fine with the T742. It does have digital inputs, they just aren't reassignable. Basically, there are two coax digital inputs(assigned to CD and VCR) and two optical digital inputs(assigned to SAT and DVD), so you can use either the CD or DVD input for your DVD player. The problem with not being able to re-assign them, for instance, is say you wanted to hook up your satellite receiver with a coax digital cable, you'd have to hook it up to the VCR input. This means you'd have to select 'VCR' on the remote to listen to your satellite audio. Everything works fine, but I would call this a bit user-unfriendly. On other receivers (including the T743) you can 're-assign' the digital inputs to correspond to other devices, SAT, CD etc.

Video switching allows you to use your receiver as a 'switch' for all of your video sources. Instead of connecting all of your video components directly to your TV you can connect them to the receiver and just have one connection from the receiver to the TV. The difference is that without receiver video switching you have to change the source on both the TV and receiver if say you were changing the input from DVD to SAT. I personally don't bother with this as I sometimes watch TV without the receiver turned on, but it's probably convenient if you always listen to your receiver's audio instead of the TV. The T742 does allow this capability for S-Video and composite video cables but not component(the T743 has component video switching).

Stone
For what it is worth, I had a store clerk tell me not to buy any of the 1 or 2 series except the T742. All others were way to buggy. That seems in line with the trends of complaints on this message board. Not sure about the 3 series

Jaggu
Just to back Smitty, I have T742 since past two months. No problems at all.

tpc
I have had a 742 for the last two months, and agree with the above statements. No troubles to date. I am just a little worried about upgradability and also think i need a little more power ( 14x22x9 foot room). Not sure if I should go to the 763 or just add amplifier to the 742?

I've recently bought a T763 and have been very happy with it for the last month. I've experienced none of the 'bugs' referenced in the posts, it has good power, assignable inputs and works very well in stereo as well as surround. If you shop around you should be able to pick it up for about 800 USD.

Paul T
I've had my NAD T752 for over a week now, no bugs of any kind.. great sounding receiver and built like a tank..

Paul T
PS: I was told by Saturday Audio they did have a bad batch earlier this year which was sent back to NAD, since then they have been pretty much flawless and by the results I'm getting I'd have to second that, maybe it was a firmware problem for mine has Firmware V1.22 and is working great.. To be honest I would go for the T7x2 series since they seemed to have the problems solved and save yourself money over the T7x3 series.. At least that was my thinking :)

Username: Jaggu

Post Number: 2
Hi All,

I had posted here that I was running NAD T742 without problmes but unfortunately today it has one. The Left channel suddenly is weaker than the rest. The sound during the test tone confirms that as well.

I have checked the connections and switched speakers to check if it was a speaker problem. Everything points to T742.

I am worried if the dealer will be acknowledge this problem.

Its really irritating packing the amp and taking it to the dealer. Hate it.

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 9
Jaggu, I'm just throwing this out there for I'm sure you checked but just for the hell of it did you go into your OSD and check channel levels, it would be a great relief if somehow your left channel got turned down some how... but chances are you checked this already, also you might want to reset the receiver to factory settings and see if this helps..

Username: Jaggu

Post Number: 3
Paul T,

Your right. I did check that as well. I have only read at these posts about reseting for 752 and 762 and not for 742. Do you know a way to do that? Please do share.

I haven't got back to checking 742 again; been busy, but before going to the dealer I will do a check again.

Will keep you soundholics posted.

Post Number: 13
I know I've seen it posted here how to reset to factory settings, I believe you have to press and hold both the audio and video buttons on the front of the receiver.. hopefully some one will chime in and tell me if I'm correct or you can do a search here...

Username: Alan

Post Number: 1
Paul T,

I also have the T752, no problems except when I put a DTS disc in it, it goes to DTS Music, Never to DTS Cinema! It has no problems autosensing the disc when set to Dolby Digital. Have you tried this? Thanks.

Post Number: 20
Alan,
No I haven't but have you gone into your OSD and set DTS Cinema as your choice for that input.. might be defaulting to DTS Music for that is what is set there... I think the OSD Menu over rides your pic on the receiver's front panel setting....

Username: Bert

Post Number: 2
Paul T,

You are a lucky man not having problems with T751 and T752 amplifier.

I had so many problems and have packed it about 10 times to go back to the dealer. I don't need any work out anymore and I'm getting used to it.

I see NAD as a Harley Davidson motorcycle - the sound is excellent.....wen it works

Keep it working

Username: David_bel

Post Number: 10
Come on Bert, I know you've had troubles with your Nad, but like I told you, I put your amp and mine (marantz 7300) to the test and both are brilliant. Different but both excellent. Forget about your buzzing sound.
Enjoy your NAD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us