Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System Review

John Bugailiskis
Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System

Great PC sound doesn't have to surround you

The latest trend in PC speakers is to surround yourself with as many speakers as you can before getting ensnared in the tangle of wires. While some manufacturers let you encircle yourself with as many as seven speakers, for many listeners two quality satellite speakers matched with a solid subwoofer can still deliver an excellent audio experience minus the miles of wires.

A case in point are Logitech's new Z-2200 2.1 speakers. These THX-certified speakers really do deliver a great all-round audio performance that will please both discriminating music lovers and those who love to shake the walls when their gaming or watching DVD movies.

The system is dominated by a huge 8-inch long-throw subwoofer that can literally shake the walls with distortion free bass. But beware, if this subwoofer doesn't have ample breathing room it can literally shake pictures off the wall even at the lowest bass setting.

In my testing, I had them situated in my office's alcove with only about three feet of space on each side of the sub. I found I had to turn the bass level to its lowest level and then further turn down the bass in Windows using the audio control panel to avoid having the sub sounding too boomy. Once I made these adjustments the woofer no longer overpowered the music and produced solid clean bass.

Connected to my Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro soundcard the speakers sounded superb whether listening to classical or rock music. The Z-2200s polished aluminum phase plug satellites have a separate tweeter and mid-range driver which produced very good highs and an involving midrange.

With its impressive woofer, the speaker system is especially impressive when playing DVD movies and games with lots of thunderous bass. While I auditioned these speakers in a small area, they would have no problem filling a much larger room.

Along with getting the sound right with the Z-2200s, Logitech also scores with the design of these speakers too. The speakers come with a full-featured wired remote that includes a headphone jack and volume controls for both the speakers and subwoofer. No more climbing under your desk to adjust your sub as you're forced to do with many other 2.1 speaker systems. Visually the speakers also look great with removable grilles and high quality aluminum phase plug drivers. The rotating satellite pedestals allow for secure wall mounting or desk placement

In the end, did I occasionally miss having surround sound with these speakers? Sure. Did I also miss the miles of wires and clutter it adds to my desktop and room. Nope. The most impressive aspect of these speakers may just be their price. While their list price of $149 makes them affordable, most online vendors are now selling them for well under $120, which given their performance, makes them the speaker to beat in this price range.

The bottom line is that if you are looking into buying a 2.1-speaker system the Z-2200s will surround you with great sound quality at even extreme volume levels, with a relatively smooth and detailed midrange, clear treble and excellent bass response. And since it's just a 2.1 speaker system you can sit back and enjoy the music without feeling surrounded.

Buy Logitech Z-2200 at Amazon.com

John Bugailiskis
Contributing Editor
Broadcaster Magazine
http://www.broadcastermagazine.com

John is an audio and PC enthusiast based out of Toronto, Canada. He is also the contributing editor of "Broadcaster" a trade publication covering the communications industry in Canada.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us