Anonymous
I'M CONSIDERING AN A/V SYSTEM PURCHASE OF PIONEER
COMPONENTS, CONSISTING OF: ELITE VSX-36-TX
RECEIVER; ELITE DV-C36 DVD PLAYER; PDRW-839 CD
RECORDER; AND CTW-606-DR DUAL CASSETTE DECK. IF
ANYONE HAS SOME COMPARATIVE KNOWLEDGE ON
EQUIVELENT DENON,ONKYO INTEGRA, AND YAMAHA
MODELS, PLEASE ADVISE. YOUR COMPARATIVE
RECOMMENDATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Jorge
Ì would greatly appreciate an answer to this question too. Basically I would like to know which are the best (in terms of quality of sound) of the following brands for a home theater system:
(a list in order from best to worse would be cool)

Yamaha
Onkyo Integra
Denon
B&K
Arcam
Nakamichi
Marantz
Rotel
NAD
Harman Kardon

By the way, can you really get a Denon 3802 for less than $800 at a place like amdv.com? Are there any catches to these internet retailers?

You can't tell a system quality just by it's brand, you have to compare them by model number. I think Denon 3802 is better than Yamaha RX-V800, but how about Yamaha flagship model? It can easily outperform Denon 3802 model. So pick your budget first and then start comparing each model. If you have an unlimited budget, compare each brand top model, they have strong and weakness point to consider.
I personally choose Yamaha because it has DSP to simulate room ambient so I can use any monopole speaker for surround speakers and their placement is not critical (you don't have to face them to the wall or in certain position to get the effect like many people say in the Net).
One important thing thought, buy as much clean power as you can, this is one important thing to consider when buying A/V system, if situation permit, go buy separate power amplifiers (see... it's all about the money ha ha ha....).
I choose Yamaha RX-V800 because budget constraint (don't buy any features you won't need).
You may contact me anytime to talk about mid class home entertainment system, see you :)

Anonymous
You are right, in starting out by picking your budget. Comparing is the hardest part, especially if the dealers only choose 1 or 2 brands to sell. For me it's hard to go to one location to audition one brand, and then go to another to audition a different brand. How do you retain what you heard in different locations, and at times, on different days?

Yes. I was in your situation a few months ago. Without any preferences to compare to, I'm lost in nowhereland.

Once I browse in www.glodokshop.com (I live in Indonesia) I saw some receivers in my budget range and I begin to compare two models from Yamaha (it was Yamaha RX-V620 and RX-V520). I finally end up with Yamaha RX-V800 (well I have to raise my budget a little for that) after comparing almost all the Yamaha a/v receiver series. (go to their website, reading, download the brochures and some of the manuals for details in particular models).
I also go to audioreview.com to see what people say about the particular models and browse the internet for some experts articles and reviews (I narrow down my research into Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo; these 3 are popular in Indonesia, I didn't plan to buy something that hard to find/very expensive, I stiil have to spare some money for the speakers, cables, acoustic treatment if necessary, and maybe some aestethical factors, etc, etc.... :( oh and next year I plan to upgrade my TV or maybe projector?)

I was ambivalent from V620 to V520, to V800 to V1000, then Denon (3801 and then there is new 3802) and some Onkyo series, arghh.....

At a point after some researching, I do audition Yamaha RX-V800. It was cost factor that I choose RX-V800 (after comparing its power and features).

Sometimes audition is not enough, you may dissapointed for certain models or brands just because the dealer demo setup is very poor, or you may get very excited for other models/brands because you just got an audition to a very good installed system with very carefull parameter setup in a decend listening room. It can very misleading I think.

You can start your research or have someone setup for you, and then maybe we can share your system setup?

Hopefully this can help.

Anonymous
Thanks. Appreciate your input

Anonymous

no problemo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us