Need help to hook up DP-52F turntable

Username: Dd168168

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
I am new to turntable. I just bought a Denon DP-52F turntable. When I tried to connect it to the phono jack on my receiver, it produces a loud buzzing sound and hum. I understand I should connect ground wire of turntable to the ground of receiver. However, I couldn't find any ground wire or ground pin on the turntable. Can someone please help me?

Desperately

Daniel

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If the ground wire doesn't exist on the table you can try two different approaches. First, remove the bottom plate of the table or the RCA connectors and see if there isn't a lug for the intended ground wire. Second, run a wire from a grounded point of the tonearm base to your amp. Either way, make certain the wire doesn't interfere with the movement of the arm.

Username: Dd168168

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
Sorry to all, I just found there is a thin ground wire which is embedded with RCA cables. I attached to the ground of preamp. Everything is OK now. I feel so embarassed to post this question. Well, I guess this shows what a newbie I am to this phono thing!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2641
I think we've all "been there; done that", Daniel!

Even J. Vigne, though it must have been a long time ago.

All turntables need that ground connection. Yours is an early 1980s turntable, I think, with direct drive (the DP-29F was belt drive).

Does it shape up to what you wanted?

It seem Denon has stopped making turntables.

Unregistered guest
I just got a Goldring GR1 for my wife and have set it up according to the instructions. When I try to play any vinyl I get hardly any noise from my amp and have to turn the volume up to full to hear it. All other inputs on the back of the amp work OK.

I'm pretty new to vinyl and don't know what to do.

Unregistered guest
I just got a Goldring GR1 for my wife and have set it up according to the instructions. When I try to play any vinyl I get hardly any noise from my amp and have to turn the volume up to full to hear it. All other inputs on the back of the amp work OK.

I'm pretty new to vinyl and don't know what to do.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

You need a phono pre amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2679
Mark; Back one step. What is the name of the amplifier input you are using? If you have one called "Phono" or "Disc", use that. If you are already using that, select MC (moving coil) if you have that option, and the Goldring is fitted with an MC cartridge. If you do not have a phono input, J. Vigne is correct. If you have phono input and are using it, and cannot switch between MM and MC, then it could be for a MM cartridge (moving magnet) only, and you will need an MC phono pre-amplifier. the manuals esp. for the amp should tell you which options you have available.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 262
John

I believe the GR-1 comes pre-equipped with a MM Goldring Elektra cartridge. I suspect Mark doesn't have a phono stage in his amp.

Mark, if you unplugged your CD player and plug in the turntable to the CD player's input instead, do you get the same effect? If you do, then you need a phono stage. In your case, this would be a Moving Magnet phono stage. Inexpensive ones would be the NAD PP1 which includes an interconnect to connect to the amplifier, or the Project Phono Box which would need an interconnect to connect to the amplifier. Note that the gain of a phono stage is not as high as the output of a CD player so where a CD might sound loud with the volume dial on 10 o'clock, the turntable might have to be turned up to 12 o'clock for the same volume level.

Regards,
Frank.

vchang
Unregistered guest
I have tried to hook up a Pioneer turntable (old) to Sony STR DE695 receiver, but the signal is very weak (hardly anytthing audible).. Can anyone help? Thanks..

Unregistered guest
I am trying to wire the cartridge head to the cartridge. The cartrigde pins are not colored, therefore I do not know which wire goes on which pin. The pins are labelled left and right and + or - .

The wires are red, white, green blue.

Any ideas which wire goes on which pin?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us