Is there a big difference?

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 8
Is there a big difference from not having a subwoofer to having a subwoofer?

Bronze Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 36
I have read a lot of people saying there is a big difference if you get a good sub. I am looking to buy one myself - so cannot claim firsthand experience.

ONE guy (only one) said it doesn't matter much if you are listening to music - but he also had a sub.

shank
Unregistered guest
For my own peronal, limited experience, it really depends on what speakers you already have. If they produce all the bass you want, then there is obviously no reason for a sub. If you want some more bass, then buy a sub.

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 9
I am planning on buying a $100 Sharper Image Subwoofer. Would that make a big difference?

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 37
In one message, Hawk - who seems to know his stuff - said there are five brands worth buying. SVS, HSU, Velodyne and two other I forgot. Someone else said the cheaper Velodynes are not quite that good - but I think they may be a good choice for $200 or less. HSU start at $300 and SVS, I think, start around $400.

Here is the quote by Hawk:

"IMO, there are five sub makers that are just plain better at it than anyone else. The title of this thread names three of them: SVS, Velodyne, and Sunfire. To those three, add Hsu Research and REL. Among those five, you should be able to find the sub that meets your needs."

and later:

"Not many bad subs out there, really (save for the Cerwin Vegas, KLHs and some of the other under $200 cheapies). Still, those five are just better--they go lower, with less distortion, and less "boominess". Furthermore, what those five brands have in common is that they are all "fast." You never have the low frequency notes struck a millisecond late. Instead, they strike their notes at just the right time, every time. Not every subwoofer is what I consider fast. Without speed, a sub can be a real distraction, rather than an augmentaion to the sound."

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 941
i would second the hawk recomendation.

and to me even listening to music is improved by a sub.

even your speakers say they go down to 40hz or so
they probably don't get their flat and are not the
best at producing those low frequencies like a sub.

also if you set your mains to say 60hz and let
the sub do the rest you will probably end up with
better sound just because your amp/reciever and
or speakers are not working as hard to produce those sounds.

and if your amp or reciever doesn't have to work as
hard it will probably last longer and run much cooler.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 39
Foot note - Apparently the Velodyne CHT series and up are good. The VX sub is not so good.

I just got a Velodyne CHT-8 and, not having the cable arrive yet, hooked it up with speaker wire. Sounded terrible at first. Like I should have gone to the dump and pulled a big old speaker out of a TV or something. After about 30 minutes it sounded okay. Then it started sounding good!

My interconnect cable should come today - an 8 foot $10 Monster cable.

Questions:
1) Is it better to get a better cable? How much difference will it really make? (I know there are better more economical brands and sources - I just thought I would try the cheapo route first).
2) Does the sub need a short break in or burn in period - like an opera singer warming up?
3) Does the speaker connection rather than the line out connection guarantee poor sound? How much worse?

Thanks for any response.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 948
if your using the digital connection to the sub.
"coaxial or optical" the cable doesn't really matter.
because it's a digital signal.

yes the sub would require break in also.

and to me the best way to hook up the sub is through
one of the digital cables. either coax or optical
i don't have a preference.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1860
Kegger,

I have not understood something here. There is no digital connection to a sub I have ever seen or heard about.

Don,

Yes, subs need to break in. Speaker connection versus line level connection is something to be decided on the basis of what you want, and the capabilities of the rest of the system. Try them both, and see.

Stephen,

"Would that make a big difference?" - it depends on what you have got without it.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 961
yes john you have got me good catch.

i was thinking "for some stupid reason" the digital
output from the dvd to the reciever. my bad!

anyways i'm sorry don i don't know where my brain was their.

but to me as long as you have a descent cable connecting
your sub you should be fine.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1861
No worries, Kegger.

Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 3
I have never heard a system that did not benefit from a sub, especially with home theater.

Wilson has speakers that are excellent for music even without a sub but they are megabucks (they still benefit from a sub in HT).

All of the subs mentioned by Hawk should be excellent in your home.

studranger
Unregistered guest
i dont care what you set the mains at--there is no substitute for a good subwoofer--and if you want the thundering base thats in most action movies--be prepared to pay at least 300.00 for a true subwoofer--all above that are just toys--and im talking from experience--there is nothing that brings more pleasure to a movie than a good(true)subwoofer-in audio you get what you pay for--the 300.00 sub is NOT the same one youre looking at for 200.00 less-yiu get what you pay for-remember that when biying--sure you saved 150 or 200.00 on the cheaper one--and for the rest of the time you own it youll hear cheaper bass

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 14
I have to agree with Studranger...there is no substiture for a properly calibrated sub. For home theater, it is absolutely essential...the difference is night and day. If you are into high end 2 channel music, that might be a different story as many prefer not having a sub (as most receivers bypass any dsp modes when in stereo mode). I have found Paradigm subs to be great on price/performance. Another company is SVS...plan on spending at least $600 (minimum) for a good sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us