QUAD 23L Floor Stand Speakers

Username: Nutpi

Post Number: 5
Has anyone sample or heard the QUAD 23L Classic Speakers? What are you opinions please. Would like to get some feed back. Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16894

I haven't heard them and, as far as I know, there isn't a local Quad dealer in DFW today. But I'm ROTFLMAO that Quad calls a conventional box speaker "Classic".

Username: Nutpi

Post Number: 6
Is there anything negative about Quad that I should know? A friend of mine highly recommended Quad speakers to me so I was trying to get more information / reviews and hopefully able to listen to them before deciding.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16895

They build good quality speakers. Not to everyone's taste but you can say that about any speaker. Quad, however, has for the last sixty years been known for the internationally famous Quad electrostatic loudspeaker (ESL). They built one of the first, one of the most innovative and the one which remains both an industry standard; http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/quad2/2905.html) and a classic design still sought by music lovers today; \link(http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/quad/esl-57 /prd_120487_1594crx.aspx, http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/quad/esl-57/prd_1 20487_1594crx.aspx

Hearing a Quad electrostatic for the first time is an epiphany. Box speakers have been a more recent addition to the line. While a good product, they do not have the cache - or the price - of the panels. Your friend isn't misleading you but you certainly should listen before you buy. The box Quads are not too forgiving of inexpensive gear and not too easy to take on bad recordings.

Username: Pnorrie

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,
I bought a pair a couple of months ago, as my Linn Ninkas were sounding too sibilant with my new kit: Cyrus 8SE and Quad 99/909 combination- and something just was not right!
A couple of early issues:
1) Small bass drivers take forever to run in. After 2 months, they suddenly relaxed and I had some very nice bass, thank you. But they are not bass heavy and if you are a bass fiend you might want something else. I run mine with a small M & J subwoofer to cover the last octave and this combo works brilliantly, giving some real rumble and slam. When settling down for some serious listening, have them running for an hour or so to get them warm.
2) There is a big price hike between the basic finish model and the (very nice) piano lacquered versions. I got the cheap one, and the veneers to be honest could only be described as 'serviceable'. So if you can, go for the latter. To get a bit of life into them I tried some general purpose furniture polish, which left unsightly blooms on the wood. However, I bought some non silicone 'Wood Silk' polish for a couple of quid (from Tesco), and I could actually hear the veneers going 'glug glug' and suddenly the veneers shone and had a real glow. This leaves a slightly oily finish, so they get a weekly polish with a buffing cloth.
3)I bi wire and they sound great with this.
4) Now run in and looking like a million dollars, they sound, to my ears, perfect. Beautiful clear treble, voices sound stunningly real without any sibilance, even on some crappy CD's. Wide stereo image which allows the boxes to disappear, which I have never had. Using the Quad amp, I do have just a little treble cut using their tilt filter, as I prefer a warmer sound rather than one which is overly analytical.
After 20 years, I seem to have a system which I don't want to change.
Highly recommended.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15772
Quad makes a fine speaker.

Username: Fergi

Post Number: 1
Have a pair of 21L MK11 running through a Naim
Nait 5I mk11 from a Beresford Bushmaster,
playing from wave files. Since modifying the
speakers by soldering ( hard wiring )the
internal speaker connections, the difference in sound quality is amazing, I have no idea why
Quad do not hard wire their speakers in the
factory. If you think they were good before
wait till your hear them now.
Cheers Fergi.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts