DUAL CS505-3 Antiskating Setting

Username: Dual2

Post Number: 2
After following the instructions provided in earlier threads on this website I was able to bring my Dual turntable (purchased in 1988) back to life after 15.5 years of not working. I learned how to lift the deck up, free up the stuck switches and change the belts. Thanks to all those who contributed back around 2006 & 2007. One question-the antiskating setting instruction in the owner's manual shows seperate settings for "Dry playing" and "Wet Playing". What does this mean and which should be used with my Shure biradial (elliptical) cartridge?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17771

There was a trend at one time (late 1970's to early '80's) to play an LP with a wet cleaner applied just ahead of the stylus. This was accomplished through the use of a secondary arm with a foam pad mounted on its headshell. The pad was saturated with fluid before you began play and was normally dry by the time the LP was done playing though the secondary arm hadn't always made it to the lead out groove by that time. For numerous reasons that trend had a short shelf life and I can't remember the exact name of the device used. I had one, probably still do somewhere. Used it on my BIC turntable back in 1975.

It was about this time the vacuum LP cleaners were first becoming available. They did a much better job and were far more predictable in their results.

Use the "dry" settings. And buy a vacuum LP cleaner, they're worth the money.

Username: Dual2

Post Number: 3
Thanks, that explains it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help