Seeking a norwood xlp quarter speed cassette player

I purchased over 50 classic book cassette tapes at a thrift shop only to realize that they will only play on the Norwood xlp quarter speed cassette player. Does anyone have any idea how I could locate one of these old machines or convert the tapes to another format w/o the machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Please reply to:
muender@netzero.net

Thanks!

Did you get any results in your search for a
XLP quarter speed tape player? I, too, am looking
for one.

Anonymous
Am trying to locate a source for belts for my Norwood XLP. Electronics part is ok, but not having been used for a few years apparently allowed the belts to not work right. When I did use it, it sure was a neat unit.
Dean

Am trying to locate a source for belts for my Norwood XLP 2000, or a service manual.
Posted as Dean, but now realize no one can contact me , except through a posting.

Anonymous
Take the belt dimensions to a belt dealer (search on google) the belts used where a standard part and can be optianed easily similar belts used in VCR's until recently

KKaren
Unregistered guest
Anyone who needs a quarter speed tape player can get one for about $45 at http://www.ccrane.com

Unregistered guest
I bought tapes that say "can only play on xlp norwood long play cassette machine. Does that mean quarter speed tape player. I went to www.ccrane.com as recommended by KKaren and got a panasonic for 45 that states it plays quarter speed. Does any one know if I did the right thing. Also where do you buy a Norwood?

Username: Arcy1767

USA

Post Number: 1
I purchased a "lot" of audio books from e-bay, only to find out that they tell me that I need a Norwood xlp long play cassette machine. KKaren, when you say a quarter speed tape player, is that what I am needing?

Unregistered guest
In case anybody reads this (or the pages on other oddly formatted audio and video material) we have sources for players and parts so that people can ressurrect their various players.

We also offer a media transfer service and/or restoration for a small fee.

Username: Dhmeltz

San Leandro, CA USA

Hi all,

I have an owner's manual from a Norwood XLP that I used to own (wish I still had it) and the manual says that in XLP mode, the tape runs 15/32 of an inch per second, whereas in regular mode, it runs 1 7/8 inches per second. Therefore, the XLP mode is 1/2 speed, not 1/4 speed.

Also, in XLP mode, it records on individual tracks. In regular mode, it records on both tracks at the same time (like stereo).

Cheers, Dean Meltz
dhmeltz@aol.com

Username: Brandon_norwood

Hartselle, Al Us

Post Number: 2
im a norwood.....but i dont really think i can do you any good.....sorry

Username: E77toe77

I just posted one on ebay under the name e77toe77 - take a look - brand new in the box. Enjoy.

Username: Friscoclassicstereo

Worldwide, Worldwide Worldwide

Frisco Classic Stereo, in business for over 35 years can transfer your odd-format audio and video tapes, films and discs to digital at nominal prices.

Frisco-Classic-Stereo@live.com

P.S. Cassette speeds are:
High Speed/Home Studio: 3-3/4 IPS
Conventional: 1-7/8 IPS
Half-Speed/Talking Book: 15/16 IPS
Quarter-Speed/Dicatation: 15/32 IPS

So 15/32 IPS is indeed quarter-speed.

For those of you with reel to reel, simply tape the half-speed cassette at normal speed on a normal deck, and record onto reel at 7-1/2 IPS and playback at 3-3/4 IPS from the reel into the computer.

For quarter-speed cassettes, record to reel at 7-1/2 and playback into computer at 1-7/8. If you only have a 2 speed reel you will need to do it twice, however there are MILLIONS of perfectly functional 3-speed reel to reels all over the net that can be had for about $20, including from us.

Username: Cmc304

TX US

This thread is old but still hope this link on suppliers of the cassett players for books on tape will help individuals seeking equipment.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/factsheets/sources.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us