In Ceiling Pyle Subwoofer

Username: Brainstewn

Salt Lake City, UT United States

Post Number: 1
I installed the PDIWS28 Dual in wall high power subwoofer, connected it with a 12 guage stranded speaker cable, and attached a RCA male end to it.

I trouble-shooted with the FAQ in the Yamaha 5940 manual. According to the manual, the settings are correct and the subwoofer jackshould be generating a signal provided the source is delivering one; I'm using a DVD with 5.1 THX.

What am I missing? Amplifier or transformer between the subwoofer and receiver? Am I using the wrong cable?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17389

"the subwoofer jackshould be generating a signal provided the source is delivering one"

You might want to check that there is a signal coming from the LFE output by using another speaker driven from that output.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2866
LFE output from the receiver is NOT able to drive a speaker.
You will need an amplifier
Something like this, perhaps:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-802

OR if you want to use the crossover in the HT receiver, you can buy an inexpensive stereo amp....like THIS

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

This amp would be perfect with 1 channel per driver. Also, it has ins AND outs for a low level signal for 'daisy chaining'.....BUT CALL 'EM and see if that will work for what you have in mind.

To check? hook up to speaker outputs before additional purchases. Turn it up just a LITTLE.
I don't see any knobs / controls / power plugs on the Pyle, so I think I'm right.

Username: Brainstewn

Salt Lake City, UT United States

Post Number: 3
Thank you! I now understand more about the Yamaha 5940 too. When an LFE signal is present in the .mp4 the Yamaha indicates that in the display. The fact that the subwoofer is not powered was just foreign to me; Just ordered the Dayton.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2867
The next hurdle is installation. That kind of amp / crossover is called a 'plate' amp. 'Cause it's flat....like a plate. Speaker wires should generally be fairly short.....so you need to consider wire runs, length and routing. Don't want the dog / cat / hampster eating the wires, right?
The hurdle after THAT? You can either use the HT receivers crossover and settings.....OR the speaker level inputs...the binding post dodads OR line level from the LFE with the amps crossover turned ON if you can disable the crossover on the LFE output.
You've got some setup directions to read, now don't you?

I personally would have gone with the Emotiva. With 1 amp per speaker....and wired from the LFE output, it would have been clean and easy.
The Emotiva is also 'forward compatible' which means it'll be with you long after the Pyle is gone and you've move on to bigger / better.......IF you've caught the bug.

Let us know how this works out........
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us