Brand new to home audio, need some help

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 330
Ive been huge into car audio for about 3 years, basically since I started driving, and Ive built tons of boxes and done tons of installs, But I had to sell my buick, and I cant put anything in my truck, So my room is full of car audio stuff. My wimpy computer speakers suck, so I figured, hey why dont i just hook all this stuff up in my room!

One of my good buddies has a car system hooked up in his room, with 2 alts hooked up to an electric motor and a few AGM batteries, But Id rather just do it with some home amps.

I need an amp I can plug into my wall, that will push my 2 Fi Q 12's, and then another amp to power some 6x9's. I dont really care about quality at this point. I just need somethin to push them for not a whole lotta money. Any reccomendations?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 3055
I use an EP4000 to power my Q18. 1850w 4-ohm 20hz RMS. You should be able to work out a good VC configuration to make that work. $350. That's about as cheap as you'll get without using a very low power amp. You can get a good amp with a fair amount of power (T-Amp I think) at Parts-Express ranging from $40-80, 15-50w/channel.

Using 6x9 in a home setting will likely require heavy EQ. I and others will suggest buying a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Up to you.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 336
Well I need something that will run at least 2 ohms. And what do you mean heavy eq?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 3056
I'm assuming you're using D1 coils based on your comment. The EP4000 will do 2-ohm stereo, 950w/channel 45v/channel RMS, well-known amp.

I mean that the 6x9 are engineered for car acoustics and you will need to use an equalizer to get them to sound right in a room.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 338
yeah theyre D1, but i only have one on each so best i can do is 2 ohms. and im just gonna use the 6x9's for the time being since theyre already in boxes. ive got some polk momo comps that might sound a little better

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2772
I can see it now!
'Hey mom, I'm going to work now. Could you please shut off my battery charger when it's done?'

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 341
hahahaha thats what im trying to avoid here. I could easily hook up a complete 12v system, but id rather just do it the right way
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us