Receiver as a gift. Please advise.

Dennis
I am looking to buy my son a receiver: either an "entry-level" HK, Onkyo, or Denon. Any thoughts on which one is best? His apt is 30X15, although the tv is not in all that area, maybe 1/2 to 2/3. He will not be moving any time soon. Thanks for your advice.

Ilker A
I personally like the Denon 1804 as a "entry level" receiver. How much are you planning on spending?

Dennis
Ideally, I would like to limit price to appox $400.

Anonymous
If you can stretch your budget to $450, look at the NAD 742 from saturdayaudio.com (under deals page). This receiver has much better sound and power than the three you have mentioned for your price range. Well worth the extra 50 dollars.

Dennis
Anon, thanks. But for now I think I would like to cap price at $400.

Anonymous
Dennis,
What speakers will your son be using with the new receiver? Also, will this setup be used more for movies or music?

G-Man
As long as your son is using fairly efficient 8 ohm speakers you should have no problem getting a very usable receiver. Do you want an AV receiver with surround to be used with a 5.1 speaker system or just a stereo receiver to be used with 2 speakers?

Dennis
I am also going to buy him speakers. I am looking at Infinity Entre Point Five or a Polk system, but will consider others. I am looking to spend approx $500-$1000 on speakers. ($500 may be a little low, but I'm not sure yet.) Movies/Music are 50/50.

Anonymous
I would look at Crutchfield.com

Consider the RTi bookshelve speakers. Get four RTi28s and a center and get a Polk sub for free. This will be closer to the $500 side. This will sound good and wont take a lot of room. Onkyo TR-501 or TR-601 would be a good match in the range.

avdude
Dennis,

Since you have a wide range of $500 - $1000 to spend on the speakers, maybe you could put $50 of the speaker budget towards getting a NAD T742 (or comparable) receiver for $449.
Your son probably won't notice the sound difference if $50 less is spent on a pair of $500 - $1000 speakers, but he might well notice the better sound from the T742 as compared to the average $400 receiver, which would in many cases be considered inferior to the T742.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Dennis
avdude, a fine question, but a) its the pricipal and b) if I can get some good advice on speakers (someone just suggested Energy Take 5.2 for $795, but I don't know much about them) I think the money will be put to better use there. Regarding the T742, I'm seeing too much conflicting advice to be comforatble buying it.

Dennis
avdude, a fine question, but a) its the pricipal and b) if I can get some good advice on speakers (someone just suggested Energy Take 5.2 for $795, but I don't know much about them) I think the money will be put to better use there. Regarding the T742, I'm seeing too much conflicting advice to be comforatble buying it.

John A.
Dennis,

Perhaps I should not intrude, but why not involve your son in the decision? He will be one doing the listening, and some good advice and guidance from you may add more value to the gift, for both of you.

Having said that, I would not worry at all about the "conflicting advice" concerning the T742; I have read only high praise here. Only some T752 models seem to have had quality issues.

Ilker A
Hi Dennis, i have Energy Take 5.2 speakers for my family room. I had them for 3 years now. They are great speakers. I would highly recommend them.

John A.

My dad bought me a receiver when i built my first house as a house warming gift. It was a Pioneer AVX 535 i believe. And it sounded great. I was not looking for a NAD or a DENON or ONKYO. I wanted something entry level like Dennis here want's for his kid. I think there is nothing wrong with him doing this on his own. His son will enjoy all the receivers he listed here that he want's to get for him.

I'll say stick with your budget Dennis. And go with what sounds the best for you. Do some listening in stores on receivers and Speakers then make your choice.

Good Luck.

Dennis
John A, your suggestion is valid, but after some consideration, I would prefer to present this as a surprise gift. Regarding the NAD, again your point has validity, but I think I will go w/either HK/Onkyo/Denon. Your thoughts on this (and speakers) are appreciated. Cheers,

Ilker A, thanks for your input.

John A.
Dennis,

Of course. Involving him would remove the element of surprise. Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us