Is the Pioneer VSX-D2012K a good performing unit?

I've been looking around for a VSX-45TX and its been hard to find one. While searching for this unit I noticed that the Pioneer VSX-D2012K has the same specs as the 45TX. I believe this is the European version. I can still get this unit. Do you have any comments about this particular unit? Will I be getting a lower performing unit, or the difference will be just cosmetic, as I have said before, spec wise both share the same specs and don't seem to have any difference except for the warranty which for the elite is 2 years and pioneer unit only one. Your help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks for all your replies.

Hawk
Ricardo:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe you are correct that the 2012 is the very same as the Elite 45tx sold here. I don't believe there is any difference besides the name and your unit may have a silver face instead of the ubiquitous black sold here in the USA.

It is 22 October 2003 and I have just noticed the very thing Ricardo asked about. Believe me, I have been a research fool. From having read "all" these messages and other data on the Internet, I have narrowed my choice to the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Having said that, upon my recent discovery of the VSX-D2012K, I am curious to know, as like Ricardo, if this unit is the very same thing as the VSX-45TX.

I have seen some competitive prices for this unit. I would like to see a picture side by side to see how they compare cosmetically. Now, internally, compared to the VSX-45TX, that would be the important thing.

I am curious to know if Elitefan has any input on this matter, as well as all the other knowledgeable persons out there.

This seems to be a recent discovery.

Hmmmm ...

G-Man
Just as in the UK and the rest of Europe the flagship Pioneer Elite 49tx is known as the Pioneer VSX-AX10, so to is the Pioneer Elite 45tx known as the Pioneer VSX-D2012K.

At its price point the 45tx is an excellent unit. An excellent receiver for anyone owning 6 or 8 ohm speakers.

JP
Is 684.00 a good deal for the VSX-45TX? There is one on eBay for 650.00 plus 24.00 mailing, so I figure, if I bid 660.00, it will be 684.00 in all.

Someone was right when they said these units are scarce, so I am anxious about bidding or not.

Anyway, I believe I will keep hunting for this particular unit.

Thanks G-man on the above message. Yeah, the D2012K may be the "same" as the VSX-45TX, but it doesn't have the nice Elite name emblazoned on it.

JP
Is 684.00 a good deal for the VSX-45TX? There is one on eBay for 650.00 plus 24.00 mailing, so I figure, if I bid 660.00, it will be 684.00 in all.

Someone was right when they said these units are scarce, so I am anxious about bidding or not.

Anyway, I believe I will keep hunting for this particular unit.

Thanks G-man on the above message. Yeah, the D2012K may be the "same" as the VSX-45TX, but it doesn't have the nice Elite name emblazoned on it.

Anonymous
I also noticed that there are several reviews (good ones) on model VSX D-2011 in England early this year. Are 2011 and 2012 the same thing?

Don
Yes, anonymous, they are. The VSX-2011 is the European version of the VSX-45tx here in the states. It's sometimes gone by VSX-D2011. Now I have come across both a VSX-2012 and a VSX-D2012, and it's my opinion that the version minus the "D" is the U.S. version. At least it was said to be a U.S. version in a Pioneer Press release.

Anonymous
I am not totally confused by all these different models and cannot decide which one to order. It seems, from what you experts said above:
(a) VSX-45TX is perhaps the same as VSX-D2012, which is perhaps also the same as VSX-S2011 (Do Eropeans have both 2011 and 2012 back-to-back?).
(b) Then there is the newer model 55TXI, which is about $350 more than D2012 on street, but presumably similar except the i-link business.
(c) Then there are also 43TX and 53TX, with the latter about the same price as D2012. So what is lacking in 53TX compared with 55tx and 45tx?

Som my question is
1. If I don't care about $300 monetary difference, which one I should go for?
2. If I don't care about phono, i-link, and have Energy speaker, should I go with 53TX or D2012?
3. Maybe Energy speakers are better match for Denon 3803?

Thanks a lot for your insights and expertise.

2. If I don

elitefan
Energy is better match with Elite than Denon. I am sure you can find a 45tx somewhere online. I have seen posters here who have seen it for under $700 at various sites. I own it and highly recommend you try to find it. Great sound and very good power supply with lots of multichannel power. Go to a search engine and type in Pioneer Elite dealers and you'll get several dealers.

Anonymous
Thanks, elitefan, do you think that 55tx is worth the upgrade?

elitefan
I am not really sure to be honest. I am not planning to upgrade from my 45 for several years but as much as I love this stuff that probably won't be the case! The firewire connections are very beneficial in terms of ease of connectivity and future digital recording options[hopefully] so that's the main difference. If I was starting from scratch knowing my own mind I think I'd probably buy the 55 but it's hard to tell someone else how to spend their money. You will get the same great sound and power [and beauty] from either one so it is up to you to look into the future and decide what your system might be like in 3 or 4 years. Will you have a dvd player with firewire or a recorder with same? These are the types of questions you have to ask yourself. You can't lose sonically either way.

Anonymous
Thanks again for the insight. I really am not so forward-looking, and I can't imagine that I will do "digital recording" (or any serious recording) anytime. But if I cannot get 45tx at a reasonable price, should I go with 2012 or 53tx instead? Or these two new models, especially 53tx, are not as good as 45/55tx sonically?

elitefan
First of all how can you get a 2012? Do you live in the U.S.? I have not heard the new models but don't think Pioneer changed the power supplies or chips from the previous models but to make sure you could call them. 800-PIONEER. They can tell you for sure. The 43 and 45 sounded the same to me so I would think you'd be happy with any of these.

Anonymous
If you search the web, there are many internet stores that sell 2012K. e.g., etronics.com. I believe that 2012K is in fact a US model, not the European one. I live in US, Boston area. There was a press announcement of this new model in August (I saw it on
http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/press/pr2714.html).

elitefan
If you go to the Pioneer USA website there is no mention of the 2011 or 2012. These are models for the European market and do not even have the Elite designation although they are the same as the 43 and 45. Whichever you buy will be the same unit I believe but one can always call 800-PIONEER to be sure. For an interesting test of the 2011 go to Rotel's website in the info section and read the Rotel 1055 comparrison including the 2011. Very impressive.

Don
Actually elitefan there is. It's on their press release section:

2076_4313_1996658%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/press/release/detail/0,,2076_4313_1996658,00.html

You don't here much about the 2012 though. That's likely because it isn't an Elite though, and regular Pios have have lackluster in comparison....that is until now.

Don
Well, My link paste didn't seem to work. Just go to the site and search it out.

elitefan
Don,
Thanks for the clarification. I did go to the Pioneer site [as I do often] and found the release. I am glad they are again offering a great receiver in their regular line like the old vsx906 was back in 1997. That unit included the same power supply and proccessors found in the Elite vsx07 and was the best unit available in the infancy of dolby digital. [believe me I know as I owned many others before finding that jewel] I just wonder why Pioneer doesn't include the 2012 in their listing on the website. Maybe I'll have to call them and find out whats up.

JSL
It was claimed by a Pioneer rep that both 2012 and 1012 models are special derivatives (from 45tx) made for BestBuy. But I went to BB two days ago and they do have floor models of 1012, but no sign of 2012. Also, they don't have any specifics on 1012, but the price is something like $999.

Don
Elitefan,
Glad to be of help. All of your posts on the 45tx, and the Elite line in general, really helped me to make my decision for my own 45tx. Your posts always seem to be well researched rather than speculation like many others can tend to be.

JSL,
What the rep told you may be true, but Store Exclusives usually don't tend to pop up on the net by other e-tailers/grey market which is the case with the 2012. It's my experience that Pioneer's customer service is really a shot in the dark, meaning most reps know nothing about the products first hand and tend to reply with canned reponses and/or be unreliable much of the time. It's a good thing their receiver line doesn't require much Customer Service:)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us