2nd sub used as butt kicker!

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1389
I have an old Optimus sub that is far from on par with my current set up. So I put it behind my main listening chair touching it and turned the level up just enough to feel it. Works like a charm!

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24750
Radio shack. I remember those days.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24751

Gold Member

Post Number: 1390
The sad thing is they stuff they sell now is even more pathetic than Optimus was; RCA, Sherwood...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24754
Hey I bought into that stuff years ago. I think I may have an old Optimus EQ somewhere lying around.

Pause for checking......

Yup! I used it to filter the sound coming from my JVC tape deck years ago. I think I paid $80 for it 20 years ago? Still have it too, as well as the tape deck.

Gotta love history and an education.Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1393
Well, back in the 80s and early 90s Optimus gear was pretty decent for what it was if a little over priced. Through the 90s though, it went down hill. Then it got phased out.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24758
Well I wanted to upgrade my stuff but at the time I was getting married, having kids, ect, ect,.

In one fell swoop I lost my sports car, audio gear, Truck, and any hope for enjoyment after "I do".

Ironically after the woman is gone I want so badly back the car.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1395
Wow Paul! I used to work for a guy who had an 88 IROC that looked just like yours!

Marriage is a scarey proposition this days. By the grace of God, I ended up with one great wife! Unfortunately, 50% of marriages end in divorce. Out of the half that stay together, only half of those are happy marriages. So only 25% are successful. If I'd thought long and hard about this before saying "I do." I might have said, "Not chance!" Of course I would have missed out on what I've had. The guy I worked for with the IROC was only married for 6 months. He could have had a great long lasting marriage, but he had a drug problem. He was in recovery when I worked for him. Aside from a wife, he lost a 69 427 Corvette and a few other nice things. By 88, he was in recovery and bought the Camero brand new. Last I knew, he still had it and in mint condition.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14410
Is that a smiley face I see on that EQ, Paul...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
Don't laugh Art! I know people who are determined that the "smile shape" is always the perfect way to set an eq no matter what. Personally, I've never come across a situation where the smile shape is a good idea at all even when the user left the top and bottom bands at zero and reduced across the spectrum.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2336
The BEST part of Radio Shack was the bare drivers they sold...and the design aid book. Many DIY speaker guys got the bug at RS.
A little care and experiment and you could DIY some nice stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1405
Very true Leo, very true.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24806
I was a bass freak in those days guys. Those settings represented my "clubbing" days. I'm also one who misses those days like any other that burns a memory into ones' brain. Be it the car, woman, music, or any combination of the three, we ALL want SOMETHING back.

Don't we?

Went to the track tonight and watched many 70's-80's muscle cars run the 1/4 mile. God I love going there. Took my daughter too! She loves it, just needs the ear muffs lol!

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1434
Good idea! Protect the kid's ears! The only things I really miss from my youth are the snow and cold weather I knew in NJ. South Texas is nice, but we don't get cold & snow here! And the '76 Caprice I had. It wasn't a sports car, but it could move! It was room and rode smooth as glass and could corner well too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1697
Latest tweak in this sub-venture:

Originally, I was using a Y adapter running one side to the Mirage sub and the other via very long cable to the optimus sub. Fri nite, I connected the opt sub to the speaker B terminals on my receiver. The effect is much better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us