New Receiver for some Boston Acoustics Speakers

Username: Jazzlistener100

Post Number: 7
I got a pair of Boston Acoustic A-60 series ll and a pair of Boston Acoustics A-100 series l. I just got these A-100's recently and my old receiver only has 2-channels so I need to upgrade to a receiver that will power my 4 Boston Acoustics. My speakers are rated to powered at 15 to 75 Watt RMS so what would be a receiver that will power them nicely? I listen to jazz and classical so I don't need some advance receiver. I just need a good old new receiver that will power them good. My budget is 200 dollars max for this new receiver. So what do you suggest?

Thanks for your time.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16370

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1314650685&/Sherwood-Newcastle-R X-765

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rx765.html

If you don't actually require a tuner for radio reception; http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1314555276&/Nad-C-340-Integrated-Amp-with-remote

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1314531262&/Onkyo-TX-8522(B)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1312745934&/Cambridge-Audio-A-500-int

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/cambridge-a500_e.html

Four original Boston Acoustics speakers, eh? I'm asuming the 100's are in decent shape and don't require new components. What kind of CD player are you going to be using with these components?

More importantly, how are you going to configure the four speakers in your room? Running them in parallel as an "A+B" set from a single amplifier will present to the amplifier a nominal or "average" load of only four Ohms. Most transistor amplifiers are not going to be all that happy with four speakers and a low four Ohm load. Transistors are intended to be run into an eight ohm load and, as the impedance load drops beneath that point, the amplifier becomes stressed and develops less useable power in many cases as it's asked to perform in ways it was not meant to do. That's one reason you seldom see A/B speaker switching on amplifiers nowdays, it invites blown up amplifiers. When such switching is provided on modern amplifiers, the switches are often set to disconnect one pair of speakers as the other set is engaged. With this manner of switching the amplifier never sees more than one set of - hopefully - eight ohm speakers at any one time. Therefore, if your intent is to run all four speakers simultaneously, then you will need to ascertain just how the speaker switching is done on whichever amplifier you decide to buy.

You don't actually need "A/B" speaker switching on the amplifier, you can buy an outboard speaker selector switch to provide the connections for four speakers. The question once again becomes, how are you going to run the four speakers? If you intend to run the four speakers together, then you will require both volume controls for each set and some sort of protection device to keep the amplifier safe at a low four Ohm load. Something like this would do the job; http://www.a1components.com/Products/Saga-Home-Edition-Two-Zone-Dual-Source-Speaker-Selector__SAG5200HE.aspx That unit happens to have "impedance matching" load protection which would help the amplifier remain in a safer zone of operation.

But I have to ask, why run four speakers in one room? Just adding more speakers won't make for a better presentation and it will - unless you add some sort of "impedance matching" protection - endanger the amplifier. Actually, for most listeners today, unless you have a system dedicated to multi-channel operation and you also have the digital sources which output multiple channels, anything more than two speakers - one front left and one front right - will result in sonic mush. This two speaker only, one per side/one per channel, installation is how the BA's were meant to be set up and they do a very credible job of presenting music in a "realistic manner" when they are placed properly in a room. The shallow cabinets of the original BA's were meant to be placed close to or against a wall and about six to eight feet apart. When set up in this manner and fed a credible source and running from a decent amplifier, the BA's will have a presentational style which places individual performers in front of you in what is termed a "soundstage". Guitars will have their own location on this stage as will drums and vocals, etc. The concept of better audio systems is to begin to replicate what you might hear had you been at the original recording session with each performer allowed to occupy their own position on a virtual stage and to have a distinct voice of their own within the performance.

This won't happen with four speakers placed in the same room and on opposing walls. While multi-channel recordings can be interesting to listen to, what you will have won't be multi-channel. You will be listening to two channels dispersed across the room with no one performer occupying any realistic space. I understand you are just beginning to find better audio components but you might try listening to the BA's as they were meant to be used and see what you think of a presentation that can bring the performers into your listening room rather than just making noise.

Read a bit about proper speaker placement and then determine whether two or four speakers might not be the better choice; http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hptb5&p=loudspeaker%20placement&type=

You'll be doing your amplifier a favor by sticking to two speakers rather than four and IMO you'll begin to experience what high quality audio is all about.

If you only have one source player, say, a CD player and you would like to experience what high end audio is about, then you might try this rather bare bones unit that outputs exceptional "audiophile" sound quality; http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

The sound of this amplifier is very good when it is paired with a good CD player and speakers which are set up properly for a realistic presentation.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5547
Wait, Jan, you have the ability to delete posts? Why did you delete my post? And I still hold that Sherwood is garbage.

What happened was a little dictator-esque and ultimately very immature. I'm even a bit surprised because you've said much more controversial things in your past posts. Since this is a forum, you simply could have told me why you do not like Sherwood and we could have discussed it like intelligent human beings would. Is Sherwood sponsoring this forum or something?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16373

Geez. Jexx! first you accuse me of performing an act for which I am not responsibile?

And then you accuse Sherwood?!

Booga-Booga, Jexx! Now you're a frog with buggy eyes.

Well, see, that isn't a power I have either.

Get a cup of coffee and re-enter your post. I have no power to do anything you've accused me of here. Neither does Sherwood. Your post probably just got dropped by the forum, it happens on occasion.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1613
Jan's right about that Jexx. He's not a moderator and only mods can delete posts. I've seen posts dissappear that did not have one contriversal, hostile or other objectionable word in them.

Jazz, just to clarify, are you planning to put all four speakers in the same room? I would suggest putting one pair in your main listenning room and the other pair in either the dining room, bedroom or other room where you might want music. Then, to avoid having the issues Jan spoke of, only have one pair of speakers on at a time.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5550
Ah sorry about that. I was just frustrated since I had spent so much time on the post I made only to find it was deleted or never got posted. Now I feel like an idiot. Can you forgive me, Jan?

I'm curious though, what makes you recommend a Sherwood receiver? From my experience they're one of the cheaper brands like Insignia etc.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16376

They are, but they're new. And "new" usually implies some sort of warranty. Given the op's budget there are no other receivers or integrated amplifiers he can afford which aren't either pre owned - and therefore have no warranty whatsoever - or new and cheap with some warranty protection.

Consider what the op has been using. If I remember correctly, his reference electronics have been a minisystem of some sort. Even a less than great receiver should be a significant improvement over a minisystem when the receiver is paired with the relatively easy load of either pair of BA's.

What the op shouldn't do is decide to buy a really crappy, mass market product like a low end Pioneer or Sony.

My recommendation was for the T amp from Parts Express over all others; new, with a warranty and very good sonics plus it's rather difficult to destroy. But plain boxes like the T amp are a difficult sell to a teenager who is under the impression the more speakers the better.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5555
Hmm I see your reasoning!

The thing is, though, he could get a used receiver and have even better sound and the possibility that the receiver will last longer (the one with the warranty is very likely to die shortly after the warranty is over if it does make it through that).

I really like the T amp from parts express, though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1615
Either way it's a gamble. If he gets a new receiver for $200 or less with some warranty protection, it may fail just after the warranty expires or it may last 5+ yrs. A used one might be on the verge of failing being sold by someone trying to r@pe a buyer for as much $ as possible or it might be in great shape. In the op's financial position, if I were to buy a Sony receiver, I'd be much more inclined to buy one from the mid to late 90s than a brand new one. This is for both sound quality AND longevity. Sherwood on the other hand, I'd probably take a chance on a new one.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5557
Receivers aren't that fragile. Seriously. Unless the user is crossing speaker wires all the time?

A good used Onkyo would be perfect for the OP's needs.

Having a warranty on a garbage receiver in my mind is the downfall of the modern audio world. People are then going for short term longevity (within the warranty period), not sound quality. It's like buying a Kia. Sure it has a great warranty and gets the job done, but it's a horrible car to drive. Why not live a little and get something that sounds decent? In fact, amazing receivers can be had for the sub $200 price mark. Just have to know where to look (craigslist is a great starting place).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1620
First off Jexx, I have 6 yr old Kia Spectra with 104,000 miles. It's a great little ride for only costing $15k. Low maint, few repairs and 35+ mpg. Would I buy another? Strong possibility.

As for the old receiver vs new one with warranty, I agree with you about the Onkyo, but what if Jazz doesn't like how it sounds with his speakers? The whole thing is a gamble no matter how you slice it, unless some kind rich person gives or sells cheaply some high end gear to Jazz and that gear is in great shape. Don't hold your breathe!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1624
Oops! The Spectra is only 5 yo, not 6.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14302
if you just want some good suggestions for brands to consider in your price range, try Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, or perhaps Pioneer.
Find the features you desire in your price range, and you should have your receiver.
Find a local shop that carries them if you want an in-person audition as well.
I always prefer to play with a new toy before I spend money on it, myself.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5564
James, sorry about that. Just my luck that you have a Kia. I had a brand new Kia Rio as a rental car for several days while my car was in for repair and it was all right. I would say that it had more pep than a Corolla or Civic of the same year (which I've also driven) and the stereo system was much better. The engine was a bit rough, though. I'm glad that Kia is going in a good direction though, with the new Optima for example. They might just end up like Toyota who at first was somewhat despised, but then really made a good reputation for itself.

And Glass! Good to see you posting still.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14305
Thanks. I try to get here when I can.. it seems like the car section has really slowed down.. sad to see. I'm waiting for Onkyo to release the 2011 model flagship AVR. their NR5009, so I can buy one. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1626
That's okay Jexx, 1st generation Kias didn't impress me, but later ones do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us