Neko Audio D100

Username: Lifes_rich_pageant

Post Number: 10
Anyone here actually own a unit? Everything I've read has been very positive.

The specs and info are at the website www.NekoAudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3323
Try it out and tells us what you think!

Bronze Member
Username: Lifes_rich_pageant

Post Number: 11
Wow, it's almost been two years since I started this thread. Time certainly does fly by! I'm by no means very good at reviewing, but I'd like to share my thoughts regarding this unit, so bare with me!

I finally got around to purchasing the Neko Audio D100 DAC a few months ago. Note this is the original MK1 with the lower output and is no longer in production. It has been replaced by the MK2 which has higher gain but is sonically similar to my version.

The Neko has been on my radar for quite some time now. I read many reviews of the Neko, the Wyred4Sound, the Eastern Electric, PS Audio, and the Rega which only further added to my dilemma of which DAC to buy. I did NOT want a DAC that was tonally bright or forward in nature. Some of the above DACs were lumped in as such, and after much indecisiveness I finally settled on the Neko, which was my original choice oh so long ago.

The Neko arrived one week after I had placed my order. I let it burn in for a few hours before I seriously began to listen. The first thing I noticed was the separation of ALL the instruments in the mix. No longer was everything lumped together and muddy. Everything now had its unique space and correct tonal balance. I could follow the rhythm guitar quite easily without it being overshadowed by other instruments. It was pretty amazing because nothing I had previously in terms of digital could do it this well.

The biggest area of improvement was vocals. Vocals are amazing on this unit!! There's a very seductive natural quality to vocal reproduction. Some have mentioned the "lack" of bass on the Neko, and I admit that it doesn't go so low as other digital players I've owned. However, I actually prefer the Neko in the bass department. What is there is precise and very accurate. Compared to the Neko, my CD player has quite a bit of exaggeration down there. Everything sounds a bit messy and boomy...but not with the Neko.

I'm extremely happy with the Neko. It's natural, neutral, smooth and not bright or fatiguing at all. It was a bit over my budget but I'm glad I made the jump. I can't see myself living without the Neko it's made that much of an improvement to my music listening. Well done Wes.

Thanks for reading!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us