My beloved loudspeaker broke

Username: Jeff829

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I live in Cyprus and there is no body here that knows something about speakers.. I'm also in quarantine so i cannot get out of the house.
Unfortunately, my 3 way speaker fall on the ground. Since then, the bass isn't working (the mid and high speakers are working).

I do not know what to do and didn't want to open the speaker without any smart advice as I don't want to ruin the speaker because my lack of knowledge.

Can you advise me what to do or how to progress from here?

The speakers are Rank Domus 350.

Thanks in Advance!!! I wish you well at these time!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3583
Could be something as simple as a push-on connector popped off when you dropped it.
Next up would be a solder joint or connection on the crossover which came off. This would be more difficult unless obvious.

The good news, maybe is that you have a 'good' speaker with which to compare the 'bad'.

You'll need whatever tool is needed to remove the woofer....what size? AND a powerful light so you can SEE into the dark enclosure.
Use your senses. Any burned odor? Any off-color parts (indicates heating, perhaps?)
Make sure the speaker is completely disconnected from everything prior to starting any service.

Next level requires a meter, at least, and some knowledge of how stuff is wired. Worst case might be a wire INSIDE the woofer came loose. The voice coil
is a moving part which attaches to the wires TO the speaker with little flexible pigtails. If it broke inside or even where you can see it, than it becomes a more difficult repair.

Username: Jeff829

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the through reply!

Unfortunately, we had an issue with the electricity and my reciever stopped working as well so no even if I open the speaker I cannot test it.

I will get into it this weekend, the post some photos of everything. Thank you again so much for your prompt response and the will to help!

Jeff
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us