Sony STR SE501

Username: Sirtex

Post Number: 1
My Sony STR SE501 no longer auto switch from Dvd/ld coax mode (watcg tv) to Dvd/ld optical mode (watch Dvd). I must manually hit input mode on receiver or unplug coax on cablebox or unplug cable box. Is there something im missing.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16573

How old is the receiver?

Post Number: 2
Jan, the receiver is from 1999. Everything worked fine until I changed to a newer cable box. I even put old cable box back. It still won't automatically switch modes.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16574

Then I doubt that you're missing anything. You really should be happy for the amount of time a base line Sony HT receiver has lasted. Not many make it beyond five/six years.

You can try calling your cable provider and asking for their assistance. There's always the outside chance they have seen this problem before. Otherwise, I would say the cable box swap and the receiver failure are not directly tied together.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jan, I don't want to pay $99.00 for Geek squad tech to tell me it's some button I didn't push or cable I forgot to connect. I'm trying to avoid getting a new receiver especially when this one is in very good condition. I know I'm not experiencing true sound quality, when both the Xbox 360, samsung blurred player and verizon fios cable have hdmi ports.

Post Number: 4
Jan, the cable box is using the DVD/LD coaxial line. When the cable box is off and the blueray player is on. The receiver is suppose to switch DVD/LD opt line. The receiver still thinks the cable box is on and stays on coaxial. There isn't a proble switching from tv to xbox. ... DVD/LD coaxial to TV/SAT opt...or visa versa.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us