Receiver Input/Output Questions About a Home Setup

Username: Ancientastronaut

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have a couple questions for improving my home setup. I currently own a "Yamaha Natural Sound A/V Receiver HTR-5830". It's connected to a CD player, DVD player, and a couple of old Sony speakers that still sound pretty good.

Question 1: I'd like to be able to play my iPod on it, either through a set of cables or a small device that would run from iPod to receiver.

Question 2: I'm also looking for a small set of wireless speakers (from Amazon ideally) that could also connect to my system to spread out the sound a bit.

Pictures of the exact input/outputs are here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6552877/Audio%20Questions/front.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6552877/Audio%20Questions/back%20right.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6552877/Audio%20Questions/back%20left.jpg

This is my first post, just registered to ask this question, so thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2103
I pod will be only OK sound.....MP3 and generally NO better. Even if the 'pod will take 'lossless' files....like Apples format....ALAC, you will still be limited by the fact that the 'pod has only a so-so DAC. That is the part that turns the 'digits' to 'audio'.
With that in mind, use a 'mini' plug to double RCA and plug 'er in. Any unused red/white pair should work...just don't worry about not having a video input.

Other, better solutions exist for getting your computer type files to the stereo.
I use my Mac and and AirPort Express. The confuser sends the file to the AE which is plugged into the stereo thru another device. The sound? Easily as good as CD and much better than MP3.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15910

Connecting the iPod to the receiver is no problem, just do as leo suggests and use the appropriate cable to feed the iPod's output to one of the unused audio (red/white) inputs on your receiver. MP3's do sound rather lifeless over any decent quality system so you might find this is not exactly what you were hoping for. Quite a bit depends on your expectations and how you use the system. If all you ever do is use music as background filler, then you're probably going to be OK with the MP3 quality though I suspect you'll still notice a distinct difference between the CD and the MP3 quality. At this point, internet radio and music servers have become so inexpensive that anyone looking for quality and convenience should investigate what's available.

"Question 2: I'm also looking for a small set of wireless speakers (from Amazon ideally) that could also connect to my system to spread out the sound a bit"

What's "spread out the sound" mean?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2105
I think were talkin' 'zone2'.

thankfully my house is small enough to be considered a single zone.

In addition to internet radio....there are the XM / Sirius feeds over small dish and some cable providers.
I'd rank the quality above most MP-3 / 160 and maybe as good as MP-3 / 320.
Turning off the audio compression, so-called 'nite mode', in the setup menu of the small dish receiver also has benefits. Good for working around the house or simple background music when nobody wants to fuss with the CD player.

Username: Ancientastronaut

Post Number: 2
Thank you guys very much for the responses. They have been quite helpful. I'm not too concerned about the lossless format, but it might be something to look for in the future. I just love my Pod, despite its imperfections.

And as far as "spread out the sound" I just mean get some sound in dining room, and maybe out back. But at a few searches, the better wireless sound systems were upwards of $800... so I might just be okay with my old wired Sonys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us