H/K Speaker Recommendations

KidA
I'm looking for speaker recommendations for use with a HK receiver. I currently have an AVR40 but will be moving to an AVR525. I will be making a road trip to audition speakers in early October and I'm trying to create a short list. I have a 12x24 living room and would like floorstanding fronts I can use without a sub for music and then use in a 5.1 system for HT. Price range is $400 to $1000 for the fronts. Musical tastes are rock and jazz. Here is the list so far:

1) Paradigm Monitor 7
2) Athena ASF2
3) Monitor Audio Silver S6
4) PSB Image 4T

Any advice on speakers to audition would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kida (First Human Clone)

elitefan
The Monitor Silver 6 is the perfect main to match with the H/K 525. The detail of the Monitors is amazing and they are sort of on the bright side[but not harsh like Klipsch tend to be]so a laid back receiver like the H/K is a great match. I love both Paradigm and PSB but they are to laid back to be a good match with H/K. I have a Monitor Silver system[S2 for mains] with a Elite 45 receiver [also mellow] and it is an incredible sounding system. I can't comment on Athena but I believe they are Canadian like Paradigm and PSB so maybe they sound similar. The negative about Athena to me is that they are sold at Best Buy who is not known for selling quality products. I would say you can't beat the Monitors with H/K.

Hawk
I totally agree with elitefan. He has nailed it! The only speaker from your list I would recommend for an H/K is the MAs. A second choice would be the Athenas, but the Paradigms and PSBs are simply too laid back sounding for a receiver like the H/K, which is also has a laid back sound. The H/K requires a speaker with a little sparkle and that is the MAs. Best looking, too.

KidA
Thanks EliteFan and Hawk. I'm detecting a pattern here. It seems many of the Canadian speakers in my price range are laid back being a better match for Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha. Brighter British speakers like Monitor Audio Silvers being better for laid back receivers like Pioneer Elite and H/K AVR525. Or is this just a coincidence with the manufacturers I am looking at?

I really like the idea of getting Monitor Audio since I can audition them with my current H/K and take my time on a new receiver. Curious as to why Elitefan prefers Elite to H/K.

I will try to audition MAs with H/K and Elite. And Paradigm, PSB with Onkyo and Denon.

Thanks for all your help. I will be auditioning speakers Oct 5-9 in Pittsburgh. I have a business trip and will be without wife and kids which should give me some time. Any other tips or equipment suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm dying to start checking this stuff out so I can add some actual input to the discussion rather than simply picking your brains.

elitefan
KidA,
I prefer Elite to H/K not for any sonic reasons really it,s just that the H/K,s don't have enough inputs for my system. Even the H/K7200 is shy on inputs for me. The Elite receivers are also much more attractive but that's not a reason to buy a receiver in my opinion. The sound of Elite, H/K and Marantz is very similar and I could live with any but the Elite's are more flexible and usually less expensive by a small margain especially mail order. A person can't lose with any of the 3.

KidA
Elitefan, Hawk, I was reading some reviews on the Monitor Audio site and came across this:
>>>
In my listening environment, the Monitor Audio Full Metal Theater System required some effort to reach its optimal potential, needing proper spacing from perimeter walls and the use of the port plugs in order to get the maximum results.
>>>

Am I going to be able to get the most out of these speakers if I can only bring them out less than a foot from the wall? Should I be leaning toward a speaker with front ports? Wondering if this is something specific to the MAs or a common issue with most speakers.

KidA
Well, my trip to Pittsburgh was a bust. I only had time to make 1 trip to Digital Visions. The place with the MAs was closed.

I auditioned a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11 v2 loudspeakers with an Onkyo receiver. They were on sale for 799. Also, checked out the B&W 602.5 and 603 speakers with a Rotel receiver at another place. Only had limited time so I listened to Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms (Your Latest Trick). Liked the sound of the B&Ws better although they seemded a bit harsh. I will be going to Sound City in NJ in the near future to try to audition the Monitor Audio Silvers.

Hawk
KidA:

Yes, the MAs can be pretty interactive with the walls, so it may be a problem. Won't know until you take them home. However, I have another suggestion for an incredible speaker that is pretty new to the US. I heard them last week and they are among the most likeable, enjoyable and listenable speakers I have ever come across. they are called Krix and they come from Australia. In particular, I love the model KDX-M, which is priced very similar to the MAs and are a lot smoother. I also was very impressed with the Lyrix model.

I checked the website and found a couple dealers in NJ. Now, I have no idea where these dealers ar in NJ as I live west of the big ditch, but if one is close, you should listen to these as well:

Mackisoc Engineering Company
40 Trinity Street
Newton, NJ 07860
Phone: (973) 579-1139
Fax: (973) 579-2197

and

The Sound System
3201 Highway 27
Franklin Park, New Jersey 08823

Phone: (732) 821-7822

Good luck!

KidA
Well I bought the Monitor Audio Silver S6s ($799) and the silver center($479) from Sound City in NJ. I love the sound and am really impressed with the quality and appearance. The warm beech looks great in my living room. Really much nicer finish than the PSB, Athena and Paradigms. I have them hooked up to my HK AVR40 which doesnt do them justice compared to the NAD separates used at Sound City. Currently experimenting with plugs to see what I like.

Sound City is a nice store if anyone is ever in the area. They carry MA, Paradigm, PSB speakers and just about all major receivers including elite, nad, hk, sony es... The salesman immediately gave me 20% off list with no haggling. Possibly since he knew I traveled 2 hours.

Thanks to all who helped especially hawk and elitefan. Now its on to the receiver, subwoofer and rear surrounds. I will be checking out NAD, Elite, Onkyo. Leaning towards the NAD T762 or 763 ($1080 at sound city). Also, the HK 325 is at ecost for $414 which seems like a steal for that much technology. Aaaaaaah, too many choices. I will start a new thread on this one to get help from the gurus again.

Probably going to buy the HSU VTF2 or 3 sub. And then a cheaper pair of rear surrounds. MAs are too much at around $720. Finally a Panasonic EDTV or HDTV plasma.

Once again thanks for all the help. I really feel good about making an educated choice.

Hawk
KidA:

Glad we could help. Nice choice in speakers, BTW!

elitefan
KidA,
Way to go man! I was hoping you would get to hear the Monitors. The Silver6 is a really great speaker for what you paid. As for a receiver I would choose between the Elite or the NAD as they have better power supplies than the Onkyo. My Elite 45 with Monitors is a beautiful system. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us