Bryston BDA-1 DAC

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3515
Because I don't want much more unnecessary credit card debt, I've been putting away cash to buy a Bryston BDA-1 DAC.

I was $500 away.

Last night, the washing machine makes this ear-piercing sound and lets off a burning smell.

I didn't even need to leave the room to go into the laundry room to know what was going to happen.

No BDA-1 for me. Why does this happen to me?

I've been coming up with excuse after excuse to not get a new dryer. My latest was saying we'd get a matching one when we need a new washer. I thought that would buy me a year or two.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 693
Bummer Stu. I'm in that world myself....windows and Heat Recovery Ventilator replacement this fall. No money for anything else.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13676
Been there, done that. last time was a transmission in one car and head gaskets in the other, with 3 days.

No motorcycle then.

But the line of credit is at 2% and I am looking at a car.

Shite, what is gonna happen now?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10832
Sorry Stu. Sucks indeed.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3516
At least the washer and dryer look pretty nice. They'll be here next week.

I'm ok with wearing clothes that aren't so fresh. A little Febreeze goes a long way.

My wife on the other hand doesn't see it that way.

At least one of us has our priorities in the right place.

I hate priorities.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10833
LOL! Me too Stu.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 697
It'll be all the sweeter when you get it Stu.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3517
Very true Chris.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13692
Pats Stuie on the shoulder, buys him a beer.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3137
That really sucks Stu. I know I'll be in the same boat soon too. My washing machine does the funky chicken sometimes so aggressively it actually moves around the laundry room. It's actually knocked the laundry basic off it's legs. And it's leaking oil. Just a matter of time.

Plus my house needs a new roof, and the tax man is calling soon too. No funds left for fun.

You'll get your BDA someday, and like Chris said, it'll be all the sweeter.

We're you thinking new or used?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10864
Dave, my washer has been doin' that funky chicken for 5 years...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3139
That's good to hear Art! I thought it was close to committing washer-machine hare-kari, but if I can get 5 more years out it I'll be a happy man.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3140
BDA-1 recently sold on Agon for 1600. I would think a DAC would be a very low-risk used item. Might be the way to go.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3519
I was looking for a new one. Bryston will honor the 5 year warranty on a second hand unit provided the buyer gets the original invoice from an authorized dealer.

My dealer will give me 10 - 15% off, making the price about $1700 or $1800. Not to mention what they'll give me for my Apollo (if they'll give me the right amount for it). Adding in the typical 3% paypal fee and shipping, the $1600 BDA-1 isn't the deal it seems to be IMO.

Plus, I get a little nervous about buying used digital gear. I shouldn't, especially Bryston (5 year warranty, not 20), but I still do.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3142
I see your point. With a 10% discount and trade-in there's no reason to buy used. I think buying a used DAC is a safe bet, especially a Bryston. But a used CDP is another story.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2777
You will get it Stu. Eventually I would like to sell my Apollo also and buy the Bryston DAC. Great minds think alike.lol. I wonder what my dealer would give it to me for...hmmmm.....

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3522
How did the name of the thread get changed?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13728
WTF?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10881
Yeah...what happened Stu. It had meaning the other way around. Save the current heading for when you get your DAC...this sucks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13733
KindamakesyouwanttokicksomePCmotherfuckerinthenuts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13734
oh well, back to the satellite thread for smooth soverign waters and the strings of naked girls' harp's.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10884
Thanks Nuck for making this one more thread I can't look at while at work...lol!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3155
Some mysterious moderator at work.

So much for free speech on the final frontier.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13736
I can still type naked girls without intervention, so all is good.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3156
For some reason that doesn't work when I'm at the office.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2168
Nuck, it's not TYPING "naked girls" which keeps getting you in trouble. The intervention had to do with "naked girls" in general.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13738
Sorry Stuie, I digress.
So how are you going to save up again?
Public Transit?
No more rubbers?
New music denial?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13739
Run a ...chortle...laundry business on the side?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13740
fuckingbastardeh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2778
The moderator will take out F#$%#k, but let people start threads about who should be kicked off the Forum. Awesome Ecoustics.....way to go....awesome...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2779
wow, not only did they take theFUCKwordout they actually changed the WHOLE name.lol. Maybe a simple "Friggen"? But to change the whole name to just Bryston BDA-1. whatthefuckmoderator. hehe

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13743
Stuie for mod!!!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3524
"Sorry Stuie, I digress.
So how are you going to save up again?
Public Transit?
No more rubbers?
New music denial?"

I haven't wore rubbers in about 7 years or so. That's a definite perk of marriage.

I think my best strategy is to hide cash somehow and act like I spent it on bills.

I guess thats all fine and good till the electricity gets shut off.

I gotta re-think this.

And as for the mod...

The thread title gets edited, yet that non-sensical thread about our issues with each others stays around.

Interesting priorities.

Then again, I've never run a forum, so what do I know?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2838
I have the Bryston DAC in my system right now until this weekend. This was a bad choice for one reason...I never want to use my Apollo ever again. Damn.

Damn damn damn.

Bryston's house sound has definitely improved in the last few generations of gear. It is so REAL, so dynamic, and pulls everything from the music. No coloration. Damn.

Damn.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3351
Nick...

Where'd ya scam the BDA-1 from?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2839
My dealer gave me his Demo to have for a few weeks. I built a surveillance system for the store. Perks David, perks my friend.lol.

Sort of which I hadn't now. I need to get one, like yesterday. Should have never bought the Apollo. Oh well, this is the road to glory. Live and learn.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3353
Nice score Nick.

Is it really that good? Like miles ahead of the Apollo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2843
Yup. Sounds identical to the cdp. Also got to hear some new SST2 stuff and I must say it is a nice improvement over their last offerings.

The Cambridge DAC Magic is very very good for the money. But the Bryston is another level. On another Planet all together. The music is just THROWN at you. Crazy good. Better than I thought.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2680
Sounds identical to the cdp

Meaning the Bryston cdp Nick?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3580
When I demoed it, with a Bryston BP26 and 2BSST2, it sounded phenominal.

An interesting thing I found was that while its very neutral and detailed, it even makes bad recordings sound good. Not because of coloration or smoothing anything over; it just somehow gets the job done.

Bryston has been called dry, dull and grainy by its opponents. The older stuff had a little dryness to them, but not to the extent some people talked about. The SST and new SST2 series isn't dry at all. Relative to the older stuff, the new stuff sounds smoother and more liquid, while retaining Bryston's honest presentation. Bryston has won a ton of awards lately, and for very good reason. Even the British mags say its a great value for the money, meanwhile they're paying almost twice the price over there. That should say something.

Its the best digital player I've heard in a very long time. The BDA-1 beats the BCD-1 IMO, but not by much. It could be a combination of that it uses 2 DAC chips instead of one, the upsampling can be turned on and off, and the can select different sample rates.

One of these days.

Great job landing one Nick. Now you just have to figure out how to keep it
Can you compare it to the Apollo for us?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2844
Yes, sure did Stu. Comparing it to the Apollo showed me the things I have never liked about the sound of Rega integrated amps. I have listened to the Mira 3 now a few times in an all Rega system and find it to be good but slightly "Thin" sounding and sort of lifeless. You know its there, and I dont care for that much. Rega's source's IMO is where Rega shine. Their CDP's and Turntables are fantastic for the money. Mind you a straight comparison with the Saturn with the BDA-1 would be a more fair battle, but I obviously dont have a Saturn. Up against the Apollo it was no challenge. Within seconds the Apollo sounded "Thin" like and weak sounding. The BDA-1 was so Robust and big. It throws the music out of your system. The BDA-1 was faster, better paced, cleaner, more detailed, more robust, and provided a much larger scale of music. The music had less grain and edge to it, as it fully smoothed right out. This all could be partly due to the fact I am using all Bryston gear and Synergy comes in to play. Perhaps a bit, but there is no way Synergy makes THAT much of a difference?lol Or maybe it does? I figure the DAC section in a Apollo is equivalent to a 500 dollar priced DAC. Give or take. So comparing it to a 2000 dollar DAC like the Bryston, I would expect nothing less than magic compared to the Apollo. That it was. In a sad way, the Apollo got put in its place, a cd player that has brought me great joy now simply just makes me want the Bryston DAC all that much more. My dealer is back to work tomorrow and I have requested to know what sort of price he will give me if I were to buy two of them.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 743
I'm assuming your using the Apollo as the transport Nick ? Have you tried the USB interface with your computer ? With some high-def audio tracks ?

I have never read anything but good about the BDA-1, and the price tag is really quite reasonable given how it stacks up feature and performance wise. With just about any type of input you could want, it opens the door to all kinds of options.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11423
Nice comparison Nick. Sounds very much like if I was to write up a comparison of the Saturn to the Apollo. I'm sure the system you have it in does play a role, but clearly the BDA-1 is better than the Apollo regardless of the system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2845
Chris - Oh yes!! lol. I had it wired up to my Media Center using USB at 44khz and then wired to the Media Center system using SPIF at 192khz upsample. I set the Optical(SPIF) out on the back of the Media Center to 192khz and it made a slight improvement. I used the Apollo as a transport as well. Everything I threw at it, it handled everything perfectly with no hiccups and sounded fantastic.

Art- Yeah I didn't expect the Apollo to be competition for it. I wish I had a Saturn for a good hard battle. I didn't expect the BDA-1 to be as good as it was though which definitely adds to my excitement to own one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2846
To add:

Music used was sorted from Diana Krall to Pearl Jam right into harder stuff like the latest Alice In Chains and Metallica. Original purchased CD's used on the Apollo and on the Media Center it is all Uncompressed WAV format. I also have some concerts ripped in Blu Ray onto the Media Center located under the Movie section and I used some of that too.

I am not sure how much break in or warm up time a DAC needs but I gave it neither really. I left it on at all times but this thing is not anywhere near broke in yet and I would only expect it to get better. The difference was instant. No warm up needed. No break in.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14068
cool!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3581
I'm not the biggest believer of break in for most things, digital stuff included. I am however a big beleiver in warm up. The Theta DAC I have was a bit distorted and harsh in the highs and bass was a little boomy. After about 3 days of being left powered on (no off switch), everything gelled. It wasn't break in, as its a 10 year old unit that had been used a lot and was always left on.

My Apollo behaved the same way, and still does when turned off for more than a few days, albiet to a lesser extent.

Moral of the story, give the BDA-1 a few days to really warm up and open up.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3582
I forgot to mention...

If you're getting 2 BDAs, send one my way. I'll PM you my address

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14070
Nick needs a demo for his sideline.
I am considering one as well.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2682
It would have to be good to beat the Saturn. Mind you, it would be a heck of a deal if it did.

btw - are there any Bryston fans on this forum?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14076
Shush a moment, Rantz, the Mac devotees are kneeling towards NY state for a minute.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3354
Nick, if your hands on any more BDA's be sure to send one my way.

I'll even drive down to K-town and pick it up ;-)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11425
I think there are plenty of Bryston, Mac and Rega fans her MR. With good reason, we enjoy their gear. I'm looking forward to a Rega DAC, doesn't Naim already have one?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2684
I believe so Art. I was being facetious btw. Yep, dac's seem to be the next thing, but it will take the extinction of cd's before I'll need or want one. I'm in an extremely happy audio camp right now - except it's hot as hell with no help from the Xindaks.

Good thing they sound fabulous!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11429
I'll get a DAC someday...maybe a DacMagic for my office system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14077
The standalone DAC has been here since the first cds.
Popular now because of files, yes, but have always been there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2848
lol I will see what I can get a bundle deal on guys. One for all.

MR- You want to see Bryston fans check the recording studio's. haha.

Art- Had the DacMagic for almost a month. It is a great unit. Especially for the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2849
"It would have to be good to beat the Saturn. Mind you, it would be a heck of a deal if it did"

I'm not sure what you mean as a heck of a deal? The BDA-1 would cost me more money to buy new than the Rega Saturn would at the moment here in Canada. Or roughly the same kind of money. So far the cheapest Nuck or I could find it used is 1800 cdn. I can buy a Saturn new for that. Without the trade in. I wonder if my dealer would take my Apollo in on trade for the BDA-1. hmmmmm.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2690
I don't know what your prices are there, but I meant if it beats the Saturn then it's a heck of a deal - just like I stated. The Saturn is extremely good so with the versatility of the Bryston DAC, it would be a great deal if it beat the Saturn on sound.

Personally, I think all this stuff is overpriced, but that's life!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14080
hear, hear!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2850
Got ya MR. I thought maybe the Bryston was cheaper than the Saturn in Australia.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2691
The non discount price of the Saturn here is $3499 and the BDA-1 is $3299. But I've seen the Saturn at $2999.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2852
What is the currency at right now to CDN dollars? From what I can find the latest update of Dec 9th, 2009 that 3200 Aus is 3058.90 Cdn. Which would mean you guys are almost paying double of what we do for the Rega and Bryston gear. Wholly crap M.R. No wonder you think its overpriced.lol. I thought this stuff was overpriced here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2853
I guess its the cost of getting the stuff over to that beautiful country of yours M.R. We just got dumped on with Snow yesterday. Its - 0 Celcius today (32 F) and I am thinking M.R. needs a roomy. lol.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2696
No room for a roomy Nick, but do bring your tent :-)

I don't it's freight costs that makes hifi dear here, I think it's greedy distributors. Even though I've usually always obtained a discount, the
prices to hurt.

example: my Zindak monoblocks cost me a third of the rrp here and that included freight from China.

(edited)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2881
Just throwing it out there. The BDA-1 won Absolute Sound 2009 Digital Separate Product of the Year award. Neat.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3422
I'm not surprised at all Nick.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2961
Well, here it is:

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/bryston_bda-1_da_converter/

Read it and weep - especially if you are like me and can't afford it. :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3676
Nice review.... he likes it even better than the BCD-1

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2962
Any any other digital media it seems.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14617
Waiting for the demo unit to become available is killing me.
Pretty soon I will just order one outright, but supply is very limited.
It seems no dealers are stocking the BDA-1 at all, and a 3-4 week waiting queue is the norm.

I am anxious to hook the beastie to the MC optically, to use the powerful engine in there.
The balanced out to the Mac should top it all off!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3700
"...and a 3-4 week waiting queue is the norm."

That's the drawback of buying hand made non-mass market goods.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14624
Tis so.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14625
I have waited longer.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2964
No waiting over the big pond. They are $3290.00 AUD here. The BCD1 is $4490.00. Aussies get it up the wazoo again!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3680
Holy crap M.R. That's brutal man.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2965
A good reason why one could be a long, long, long time coming to this house. By the time my hearing is completely shot, I should be able to get one second hand. :-)

Username: Hicham_oz

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 1
I'm after HI fi stores names in Montreal and Toronto that supply the Bryston BDA-1

I see myself soon in Canada, and this buy is essential.
Please David Mitchell help on this one.

Best Regards,
Hicham
Sydney, Australia

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3712
I'm afraid I can't be of much help Hicham. BDA's seem pretty scarce these days. Nuck would know better than I since he is currently seeking one.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 2
Thanks David for the follow up

In any case please provide me with names of such stores that would ususally sell this product. The supply might change by the Summer.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3014
Hicham, are you returning to Oz as our voltage differs from North America. Electronic Enterprises (www.eeonline.com.au) advertises these units.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 3
Thanks MR. They're 15min drive along Mona Vale Rd in Gordon.

A friend of mine though did this 5min job, it's about disconnecting the F250mAl fuse, and connect the F125mAL fuse.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14688
I did not find info on input voltage or multitap transformer on the BDA-1.
And external transformer is easy and cheap.

What about the rest of your gear?
Or are you just converting the DAC?

Bryston will be pumping out the unit asap, but still a 3 week wait list at the moment.

http://www.redballradio.com/

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 4
It's only the DAC that i'd worry about Nuck
It's good news to hear of Bryston coming back with a large supply into the market.

Few weeks ago and in Shanghai's ultra HiFi Liying Plaza- 4 stories of boutique best of the best world HiFi- at 398 ZHejiang Rd, the buzz was of how soon is the matching chineese version will arrive.

32 bit rather ( not only 24) 192 kHz upsampling DAC, 2 sets of balanced output XLR, 2x digital output!
I'm not sure how much in this are simple wishes, or real ideas getting worked out.

It's now Sunday here in Sydney, and the Beach is superb, Melbourne though took the hit of hale and all sort of bizare weather yesterday.

Few flowing thoughts while Borodin Symph. # 2 is epically playing.
Leaving 1st to the Church, with 3 weeks to reach for the Easter.

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 173
Nuck, what was the best price you have found for BDA-1? I have just checked and my price was $2000 tax in Canadian $ brand new from autorized dealer. If I make a move(still counting the money :-) ) I would need a DAC. Thought to use AVR280 that I have as a DAC in the midtime, got price for YBA WDA 202 - $800 Canadian tax in - so this would be more or less the same if I try to sell AVR280. And now you guys are talking about BDA-1 and got me interested, but it would be more than 2 times of YBA! Hm...
I also saw Bell Canto DAC3 used for about $1500
what to do, what to do?

perhaps 6/49??? :-)

Pablo

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14707
Pablo, tax in for 2k$ is pretty good here. I have a demo coming for less, but have to wait to save that 100$.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3723
According to James Tanner, Bryston's prices are going up in the next month or two. The BDA-1 will be $2195 instead of $2000.

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 174
you guys are not making it easier for me.
David just told me "If you are going to go DAC, the BDA-1 is the only way to go"
And I forgot to play 6/49 tonight

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3721
Somebody's gotta win it Pablo.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3722
I forgot to get a ticket too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14824
I uhhh...don't quite know what to say.
The BDA-1 is currently warming up by sending balanced signals to the Mac amp.
The dac is locked on 48k, optical.

beautiful afternoon here, so I won't spend the whole day indoors, but man...I am tempted!

Connectivity, sample rates, source rates and outcome to be posted after I take some notes and try some different music.

THIS is why I was customer #1 for Nick!
Well, that plus he's a great guy.

Cheers bud!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14828
I am truly flattened and floored.
The way that the music is presented has changed for me today.

The selection, time after time is 'The Wall'disc 2.

Presently using optical, source is 48k (HDCD) from the MC, the Bryston is locked on 48k, upsampling to 192 is on.
The pipe runs balanced with err... instrument balanced cables to the Mac.

If there is a spec for noise floor, I have a new one. None.
Gain is astonishingly linear in fashion, starting from a lot to massive amounts. This is attributed to the optical in the MC, now running wide open to the hungry BDA-1, I turned down the output from the MC.

The Bryston does not like the USB connection as of yet, but I will adress this, noting in the Bryston manual NOT to hot swap USB!!!

The current arrangement is an eye opener to be sure, and a beer opener tonight!
I have never heard the Floyd sound so open, so fast and as accurate as this is now. I have heard all Bryston stuff and not liked the power as much as Classe or Mac in the past, and this unit may not be representative of the house sound that the brand enjoys, but man...this thing is kickass up the street and back. Truly amazing in clarity, range, connectivity and unbribled enthusiasm for attack.

slam slam slam, like a kick in the side of the head, but not so refined that you are in the Hilton bathroom, as opposed to the gutter at closing time. Just cutting edge of the music (piano is as aggresive as I have heard), arriving seemingly just a nano-second before the hammer strikes the conductor.

Amazing.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3765
Very cool Nuck! Pics?

What's wrong with the USB?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14830
Pics to follow, Dave.
No idea on the USB, I will check with Nick.
The 'manual' with the Bryston is a tad disappointing, at least the Grant dac was good photocopies in a bound volume.

But the unit is fab.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3766
Silver or black?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12409
Pics soon, David...patience man patience!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3769
I have none!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14831
Wondered why I could not find the cam, I lent it.
The BDA-1 looks just like the ad...and in awesome black1
Thin little box with a few LEDs.

pics to follow asap.

Heres my dac, and a copy of my MC, #8, I think.
Upload

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12411
Looks great, Nuck...and obviously sounds great!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14834
Thanks Art, new pics will come along.

The USB is now working, after creating a new link to the Bryston (factory support in a flash), so the connectivity is in order.
The USB, using a pedestrian cable, is delivering in 44.1 redbook to the dac, which is currently upconverting to 192/24.

I am having a quandry as to whether I hear a difference or not, so I say no difference here...so far.

It is a hefty cover charge, but it works a treat!

I would advise all to look at the Dacmagic or equivelent for 85% of this units performance at 25% the cost. But if it is your birthday, or a celebration, nothing else sounds like this.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14835
Integration with the mc was seamless, because Nick has built in the handshake with all readily available devices, including the 232 for the Bryston dac,just add a generic straight through cable.

Not to sound like a cd-repeat , but this is a must have for me.

Ha! or a broken record...

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 893
Terrific Nuck, that's awesome. I'm curious to see which input to the DAC you settle on long term.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14836
I don't think the connectivity is going to matter that much to me anymore.
Without seeming contrite or snobby, the gear here now is at, or beyond, what I can hear.
I will get some well regarded cables, just because, but getting the music collection growing and a RAID server setup is all that's left.

Till the new project gets under way and new Mac amps are in order...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3017
Awesome Nuck, glad you are enjoying the setup. I knew you would. You switch back to Optical yet or still on USB?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14844
Still on the USB with stock cords.
I think that at this point, the power supplies are sufficient on both ends are enough in either optical or USB, that's what is missing in some digital formats, I think.
Heavier stuff is STILL king...

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 5
Nuck
Please apart from the USB
anny comments about straight CD play
Would you be able to compare the BDA-1 to any other DAC that you can have there?

Thank you
Hicham
Sydney}}

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14845
Hicham, I have no equivelent to the Bryston to compare against.
I have a small DAC from Asia, which is distributed under many names.

It's not a fair comparo at all, hehe.

As for transports, I have also reduced inventory, and currently use the very good spinner in the Media Centre. This unit is not a digital out, however, as the data is clocked and paced in the MC.

The biggest deal about a DAC (beyond sounding right) is connectivity, IMHO, and the BDA-1 has all that and a free bag of chips.

As is often my opinion, a componant can often be judged by what is does wrong, and the Bryston product is, so far, above reproach.

Also note that I did not so much incrementally analyse the setup, but rather threw everything in all at once, including using the balanced output (with transformer power supplies on both ends).
Consider this feature when shopping for a DAC!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3025
Well, I am officially an owner of a Bryston DAC. I am ripping everything I have to the new Media Server I just built for myself(black) as I type this. Took all the gear off the rack last night, Re-positioned it and made room. About to crank some tunes.

This morning I got thinking, since the music is being streamed to my theater it would be nice to have another Bryston DAC down there as well. Then I thought...wait...baby coming...wife on mat leave...tighter funds...ok maybe I will drop that idea. Then I looked at my Rega Apollo. It is useless to me now. But I really have no time to put it up for sale. So I called my dealer, asked him if he would do a straight trade for a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. He said yes. SWEET!! We both win. He gets a great deal, I get a great DAC for no work. So sometime this week, or weekend I will also be an owner of the DAC Magic. I am going to put it in the two channel system for a bit. I remember it being amazing for the price. Price to performance ratio it is better than the Bryston. Just not better. It will be fun either way. Pics to come!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3847
Sounds like a solid plan Nick. Nice score on the trade, too.

I'd be very curious to hear more about the DacMagic on your system.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12583
Enjoy the new DAC's, Nick!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2387
Do you have the ability (do not mis-read Nick I know you have abilities) to construct the Media Center for synergistic response to various systems. For example your Bryston works well with some things not so good with others. I could really mess with the synergy of my kit if I put in the wrong speakers or pre-amp.

If you can adapt it to various component synergies what modifications do you make to do so?

Just curious.

Time for new speakers now, eh?

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 3026
Thanks guys.

LOL The Speakers are definitely my weak spot now Mike. But they will have to do for now. When putting together the Media Center final spec I basically hand picked a ton, and I mean a ton of parts and tested the combos. Different chipsets, different video cards, different sound cards, different tuners and on and on. Based on 7 or 8 different test spots in mid to high end systems I came up with one final spec that performed very well in every setup. I guess the quick answer to your question is yes and no.lol. The biggest thing is software. That is what makes it or break it in any system. Just making sure all the bell and whistles are there for DAC connectivity, movie management and so on. David could contest that software could make a system sound amazing, or simply sound horrible. If I had to use my laptop as my main source of music I wouldnt be interested in this AT ALL! I think having a nice GUI or way of letting the customer feel active with his collection is key. I am scouting out a touch screen for the MC in the two channel system soon too which will be a neat way to select the albums/songs/movies etc.

David, hammering out the Bryston right now but as soon as I get the DAC Magic I am definitely putting it in for a week or two. As I remember with my short time with the DAC Magic is that it out performed the Apollo in my system. My dealer told me a story today where a customer bought a Bryston DAC and my dealer lent him the DAC Magic for three weeks while waiting for his to be built. When he got the Bryston, the customer almost returned it saying that while the Bryston was better he was blown away by the DAC magic on how well it performed up to it for a fraction of the price. Interesting. Build quality is another story though I am sure.lol. Plus the bryston has every feature and connection know to man. But I only need Optical or USB so I am golden. More to come. Weeeeeee!!

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1137
Congrats Nick. First everyone was going Apollo and now the trend is Bryston DAC with DACMagic close following. I see some more Ecoustics guys taking the plunge soon...but not me....I'm just starting with the Apollo. A few years behind ya'll.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3850
I've read that the DacMagic sounds better than the DAC in the 840C, but not as good as the 840C does spinning discs (at one point I'd read they were the same DAC, but apparently they're not).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3027
George - The Apollo is an amazing player in its price range. One of the best for under 2K in the CDP market IMO. Great score, and enjoy.

David - Interesting. If the DAC is better I would think it would be possible to have it sound better than the 840C. Hard do say. I will dial it in and see what I can squeeze out of it.lol.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 621
Man, this thread makes it tempting to buy the BDA-1! I'm kicking around various options on a digital player change, but it'll likely be for a standalone player as opposed to transport + DAC (money reasons). Though that is still possible. There are so many DAC options out there from smaller companies that seem highly regarded. I guess a lot of them use tubes.

Everything I've read about the DACMagic compares it first and foremost to the 740c, not the 840c. The DACMagic and 740c share the same DAC chip, but not so with the 840c.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3851
That's exactly what I read Dan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3028
Cool beans guys. Just got off the phone with my dealer, shipping it to me tomorrow will have it in my system Thursday.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3853
Suh-weet!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 622
I'm definitely looking forward to your impressions Nick, as the DACMagic is a consideration for me right now.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3806
Nick-

When you compared the Apollo and DACmagic, what did you use for a transport? Which system was it in? What ways was it better?

Sounds interesting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3029
Can't wait to get it guys and give some feedback.

Stu- My time with the DAC Magic originally was minimal and it was up against two HRT units I had as well, in which I thought in my short tests the DAC magic was the best of the three by a fair margin. The unit I used for the testing was the original " prototype" model Media Center that Nuck now owns. The transport in that MC was the highest model of Pioneer Elite Blu Ray I could source. Most of my testing however was music played directly off the hard drive. I tested both Optical and USB connectivity. The system this was all tested in was the two channel system with the Bryston gear. This is where it will be tested again as well for feedback. To be honest I can't give you specifics at the moment on differences in sound because it was so long ago. I do remember, however, that I did prefer it to the Apollo in my system. Now that I own one I should have a good amount of time to listen and get the sonic differences. Cheers.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3807
Thanks Nick. Can you compare the BDA-1 and DACmagic when you've got enough time? No long elaborate review needed. I know its not fair to either DAC to compare them, but what the hell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3030
Yeah will do for sure Stu. Can't wait. My dealer says the DAC Magic is closer to performance to the BDA-1 than most would think and for a fraction of the cost. If this is true. Then wow! Can't wait until tomorrow. It better show up.lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3854
Hmmmmm.... I trust your opinion and your ear Nick. If you tell us that the DM is close to performance as the BDA, then I think I need one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3031
Thanks David. I am doubtful myself on the fact that it can match the BDA-1. Pretty sure it wont. But if it can come at least close than what a killer!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3855
Absolutely Nick.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14940
The Pioneer Elite BDP in the MC, feeding the Bryston DC is seamless.
I play lots of cd's, and the combo is huge.
Either the transport does not matter so much, or this one is very good. Might be both. The transport never has an issue, never mis-reads, sees everything, and is vewwy vewwy quiet (in a big machine).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14941
Don't forget, folks, Nick and Mrs. Nick are going to have a newborn any day! Sooooo.....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3856
Catch up on that sleep Nick!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 624
I read someone guessing (I think in a Rega Apollo review somewhere) that the Apollo might be one of the better transports, considering the optimization that it does when it loads a disc. And perhaps also in the top loading mechanism that Rega has designed.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14947
As a transport, the Apollo HAS to go through the reading theatrics to feed the output stage, whether the internal DAC's or external feed, and this puts some Rega stuff in the path, as opposed to a direct read out. If the Reg dac fails, it will not work as a transport.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3808
The Apollo is very good at extracting the info from discs, for the reasons Dan states and more. But reading the info and getting it right is only half the battle.

The bits need to be passed on to a DAC with minimal timing errors - aka jitter.

I remember reading a British review of it when it first came out. Hifi Choice? They said it sounded great as a stand alone unit, but may give some external DACs a bit of a hard time with it's optical output due to higher than usual jitter. I don't think they published a spec, and outboard DACs weren't all the rage they are now.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 627
So do you guys believe it is specifically the Apollo (and probably other Rega players too) that has this issue, due to it's unique design? The Apollo right now is my first choice if I opt for a new player, though I've got some others in mind. If adding a DAC later on might be problematic then perhaps that might sway me away from it. I think one day I'd definitely like to try out an external DAC, if only because it seems that the "dollars per sound quality" ratio is very low when using an external DAC - that is, low dollar investment per unit of sound quality, if that makes any sense. I'm sure you guys get what I'm saying.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3809
As far as jitter is concerned with the Apollo, I don't really think its a 'problem.' I've connected my Apollo to my Theta DAC (non-reclocking) and had no issues at all.

The point I was trying to make in my post about jitter wasn't intended to be about the Apollo's jitter specifically. It unintentionally came out that way, now that I re-read it.

Most new DACs re-clock the signal, eliminating or at least drastically reducing the effects of jitter. If you'll use the Apollo for a few years before using an external DAC, the almost insignificant issue will most likely be non-existant.

The Apollo is a great CD player, easily worth is price and then some in sonic goodness. The universal praise its received is for very good reason.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1139
I've connected my Apollo to my GF DAC-09 and it's as smooth as ever as a tranport. In some ways, using it as a transport through the DAC outperform it as a CDP. That would be to some people's ears, as details is about the same but the midrange in slightly more forward through the DAC, still smooth.

The real holdback on an Apollo is that as a tranport, it won't upscale - it outputs at 44.1kHz, nothing more. Some may want more.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 630
Isn't upsampling usually done at the DAC? From reading about the Dacmagic, it upsamples automatically. At first I thought the buttons on the front allow to you choose the level of upsampling, but they appear simply to inform you of the incoming sampling rate.

One day I may spring for a Simaudio 300D. If buying used it might come in at under a grand.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1141
The GF DAC-09 will adjust to any upsampling it received but won't do the upsampling itself - I'm not sure if this would go for the DacMagic. Some DAC's can and would do the upsampling themselves so in that case I would guess you would be okay with the Apollo or any other transport that doesn't do internal upsampling.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3032
Hey guys, I didn't forget about you all. Been a bit busy. Have had the DAC in since last Friday and must say it is fantastic. Especially for its price. More detail to come.

P.S. Its no Bryston DAC

P.S.S. I like it better than the Apollo.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 638
I'm interested in knowing if it sounds like a CA player. I'm kind of surprised so many think it's superior to the Apollo, as I've never heard many people in the past say that any CA player was superior to the Rega. So I wonder if there is something in the DacMagic that gives the source something maybe a bit more special than the sound CA is typically known for in their standalone players (upsampling?). That said, the 740c and 840c do tend to get very high praise, and I realize the sound of a source is more than just the DAC. I guess I've just rarely heard CA praised over Rega.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3034
To be honest Dan, I prefer the the sound of a similar priced CA product over a similar price Rega product any day. Perhaps this is why I like the sound of the DAC Magic better. I really like what the Rega Sources do for the money, but I could never get my head around their amps. Just sound thin and lifeless. Just me. I know a lot of people that would disagree. When my dealer sat me down to listen to the 640 series integrated amp and matching cdp I really enjoyed the combo. More so than I have ever enjoyed any Rega combo. I am not knocking the Apollo, its a fantastic cd player, and a killer in its price range. I also think the 740 and 840 cd players by Cambridge can easily match the musicality of the Rega Apollo. Its all preference as you gain in fullness/richness compared to the Apollo but seem to lose a bit of speed(Prat). Overall I would personally rather own a 840 or DAC magic for that matter over the Apollo. In my system, to my ears, it brings more of what I enjoy. Could be synergy, but I am liking what I am hearing either way. I will explain in more detail in a bit.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12627
I like the Brio 3 a lot, but the Mira 3 is a bit lifeless and for the dough so is the Elicit. Unfortunately I don't like the CA's either. I think the best sounding budget amps right now are the NAD's, warts and all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3036
lol even with the warts the new NAD's are good sounding amps. Their new CDP's are getting praise too. If I were in the market for a new amp/cdp in that price range I would audition NAD vs Cambridge for sure.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 639
I don't remember actually listening to NAD before, but I gather that CA lacks some of the warmth that NAD offers. I actually did hear NAD for a minute or two, off to the side in one store (not sitting in front of the speakers). The bass sounded huge. Impressive at first but I can imagine it quickly falling into the category of over-emphasized. But who knows how the tone controls were set; they may have made the NAD even more bass happy than it really is.

Your description of the Apollo's sound is the whole flat earth audio philosophy, along with Naim and Exposure. Like you I'm finding that I prefer more of an emphasis on tone, richness, and a bigger soundstage. I guess I'm a round earther. In your opinion, does the Apollo work in a system that emphasizes the round earth philosophy? On the one hand I would think it shouldn't, given Rega's reputation. Then again, as you allude to, I don't think their CD players fall into the same category as their amps (and for all I know their speakers too).

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12630
I wouldn't say that my wife's C325BEE is really warm. I'd say a bit more neutral (whatever that means) than CA which is a bit more wide open. Too wide open for me..not bright per say but too open in the upper midrange. CA's to my ears aren't quite as well balanced as the NAD's. Just niggles as they are closer together in sound than they are far apart.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3815
Dan -

The Apollo works in a lot of systems. It sounds wonderful in a Rega/Naim/Linn type system, and equally good in other systems. It works very well with my Bryston, and with McIntosh gear.

Musicallity is different to everyone. I think it sounds better than the Cambridge players in every important way, and just carries a tune flat out better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3038
Dan- Stu is right, musicality is different to us all. I have greatly enjoyed the Apollo the last few years, and it went well with my Bryston setup too. It really is a good player. I would never put the Rega sources in the same category as their amps.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12635
The Rega players really do work in any system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14980
The Apollo from Texas has been in so many systems, lemme count...
Mike and Mac
Me and Classe/PSB, Classe/totem, Mac/totem,all Mac/Gallo
Dave played it with Bryston, + a tube amp/Totem Sttaf

Nothing but good stuff to say about it, and the price gets better down the line. (I bought on special deal from Mike)

George is playing it now, so there is another, just for one well travelled player.

I HAVE to recommend it, flat out.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 642
It is down to I think two players for me (one being the Apollo), if I get rid of my Exposure, another two or three I might consider (but probably not), nevertheless I'll save all this for another thread in a few weeks when I'm doing my comparisons. It is nice to hear the Apollo is very versatile and can be used in just about any system. Now back onto the DacMagic and BDA-1.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14988
I would not trade my BDA-1 for anything else right now.
Considering it's limited USB input of 192, very few people will feed it like this. I can, as can anyone with a fast enough feed.
The Bryston BDA-1 can process near anyhing, and offer balanced output to keep everything right.

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 86
Interesting discussion here for me...I had decided on getting a BDA-1 but just found a near-new B100SST with built-in DAC that I might buy instead. If I buy the B100 and sell my B60, then it'll cost me no more than buying a new BDA, but I'll have a better amp.

On the other hand, the BDA has a USB input and balanced outputs, while the B100 doesn't. On the other-other hand, I don't need a USB connection (can use mini-toslink cable), and some reviewers said the BDA sounded noticeably better via optical than USB. Nor do I currently use balanced interconnects--and wouldn't with a digital source going into the integrated B100.

The BDA has two DAC chips vs the B100's single DAC chip, though I'm not sure if there'll be an audible difference. Anyone know if there is?

I think I'll buy the B100, but the fellow selling the amp is going to be away the next week, so I guess I'll have to wait till then. If that sale falls through, I'll definitely get the BDA instead.

I can use my Apollo as a CDP, but I still have a NAD 542 and perhaps that would be just as good a transport. I'll A/B both via toslink, and if they sound the same maybe I'll sell the Apollo....it's a great player, but if I don't need it, then I'll sell it.

Either way, I'm going to have a nicer sounding system. My wife is surprisingly excited also. I've finally converted her to audiophile sound, and now she's happy spending amounts of money that would formerly make her hyperventilate. Wedded bliss.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3825
Frank -

From what I read, the two chips are used to cancel some noise. I don't think it's a very big difference. The differences would probably be more audible if you had something like the 28Bs.

The B100 automatically upsamples, and the upsampling can't be defeated or changed like they can on the BDA-1.

If you have no use for the USB or balanced connections, the B100 may be the better choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimov

Post Number: 20
Started with NAD 542 then Rega Apollo and now Bryston BDA-1 ...... following my gurus here at ecoustics.
I got my BDA-1 last night and had to go to bed at around 4.00 am.
Hooked it a ordinary USB cable with my PC playing through Foobar , output set WASPI: Speaker(Bryston BDA-1) ..... from the very inception difference is huge, wondering how far it'll go after getting my Pre-Power and speaker!! My current setup is NAD 350+B&W 602-S3 and Rega Apollo.
I have ordered for a KimberKable USB cable, hope to experiment with other interface in future.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3274
Congrats Asimov.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4398
So how would you describe the sound between your Rega and the BDA-1? I bet they sound pretty different, huh?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15531
Asimov, wait till you try it with a balanced source! ;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I'm waiting for Pre-Power, expecting to arrive at the end of this month.Two pairs of XLR(Bryston) lying idle.

@ Nuck, I'm using PC as my source, playing through Foobar2000.
Trying USB and optical input ...... I'll try a USB/Spdif device in future.Could you please tell me which interface is better and how you playing it through Foobar. In foobar there are lots of option,DS, WASAPI, KS, 16bit, 24 bit etc. Do think up sampling is better than normal play back?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15534
Asimov, I decided that running redbook, no scaling works best with the optical that I am using now from the Media Canter. Most listeners at my place have agreed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
But what about lossless format like flac or ape files?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4408
Asimov, are you using the ASIO plug-in for Foobar? It makes a noticeable difference.

FLAC is fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I'm using Win7-64 Bit.
Can't find any ASIO driver for Bryston BDA-1. I tried "ASIO4All v2" and it works only with USB not with optical interface. Right now I find optical interface is better than USB but I'm using an ordinary USB cable, it may improve if I use a better USB cable. I'm waiting for a KimberKable.
I set the source at 44.1K and BDA-1 is upsampling it to 176k and result is the best I ever get from my system. It's far far better than my Apollo IMHO..... I'm enjoying music again.
Thanks all for introducing me with such a magic device.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4410
Good point about ASIO.... Optical is definitely much better than USB.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Right now I'm listening to Oystein Sevag's album Bridge- 1st track "SEED" ...... what a music...... I don't have enough audiophile vocabulary to describe the sound ...... it's the sound which makes me thirsty to listen more and more and don't feel any urge to upgrade the system ..... it's just mind blowing pure music and me. Six minute track but ended so fast, I had to play it again and again to contempt my thrust.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4446
That's awesome Asimov. Has adding the BDA-1 to your system been the upgrade that changed everything for you? I'm still lusting after a BDA-1 myself. Maybe when Nuck gets bored with his he'll sell it to me :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us