What type of receiver should I buy and how can i tell?

Username: Mus1cl0ver

Post Number: 1
I am very new to this so could someone please help me. I have been given a set of 5.1 surround speakers.

Samsung 5.1 surround speaker system. PSWS100E subwoofer with 3 Ohm impedande and 5 x PSxS100E surround speakers with 6 Ohm impedance.

I don't know the wattage of the speakers I could only reference this info from stickers on the back of the speakers and ebay.

I don't know what power receiver i need to buy and is this based on the impedance or the wattage of the speakers. I have been told that if the wattage is too high it will blow the speakers and too low won't power them so I am in limbo with the speakers at the moment.

Please someone advise me how I can set this system up

thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2058
too low is generally a bigger problem than too much. If you had a big amp connected, all you'd have to do is NOT turn it up too loud!

Is the sub powered? I can't tell from the pictures.

Any reasonable HT receiver should do. The manual will have a basic drawing / picture of setup. What plugs into where and how to setup the controls.
The part of setup which the manual can't help you with is YOUR room. You will need to find a spot for all speakers. Experimentation, within limits is ok. Seating positions should be considered, too. The sub? Also an experiment. If your room is square, out from a corner along a wall. If this system is for just a couple people...not a 'crowd', than the sub can be located fairly close to the listeners, maybe under an end table.....

Post Number: 2
thanks for the replay magfan, but I am clueless in regards to judge what type of receiver full stop. could you send me a link to a recommended one please cheap as possible

the sub is not powered there is just standard speaker cables that can be attached to the back of each speaker/sub so they will be powered from the reciever I'd imagine.

in regards to not turning the receiver up too loud? is that based on wattage?

Thanks in advance

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15807

This is what you have, right? http://cgi.ebay.ph/SAMSUNG-PSWS100E-PSFS100E-5-1-Surround-Speaker-System-/140500 452458?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item20b67ac46 a

Ditch what they are calling a subwoofer, that one is worthless. It's not a subwoofer, it's just a box that willl make some thumping noises and not work well with any good receiver. It's meant to work with specific Samsung systems and, if you try it with anything else, you will be wasting your money.

I see you've asked this question on a few other forums but you don't seem to have received much feedback in response.

"I don't know the wattage of the speakers I could only reference this info from stickers on the back of the speakers and ebay."

Speakers do not have wattage. The amplifier has wattage and from what I'm seeing in these photos you need a low wattage HT receiver when it comes to "how many" watts.

" I have been told that if the wattage is too high it will blow the speakers and too low won't power them so I am in limbo with the speakers at the moment."

You damage speakers by turning up the volume level beyond the capacity of the speakers to play cleanly. If the sound distorts, turn down the volume and you shouldn't damage a speaker.

If you'd have set a budget to work with, it would have been easier to suggest a receiver. As is - and "cheap as possible" is not a working price range, you need to buy a basic HT receiver. If you're near any home audio shop, take one of your speakers in with you and explain what you have - they should lead you to a basic HT receiver. Pick the one that suits your budget as there is no need for anything elaborate here. If you are truly absolutely clueless, call these people and ask about any of these receivers; http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Specials/default.aspx?o=p&c=4&nvpair=FFCa tegory%7c%5brank10400%5dReceivers%2c+Amps+%26+Tuners&nvpair=FFSubcategory%7c%5br ank10420%5dReceivers or here; http://www.jr.com/category/audio/receivers/

Ignore all the 1,000 and 1,300 watt advertisements you see. Just ask about the receivers on those pages.

Then ask about a small powered subwoofer that would actually be worth having; http://www.crutchfield.com/g_12300/Powered-Subwoofers.html?tp=187 or; http://www.jr.com/category/audio/speakers/subwoofers/

Do not use the Samsung "subwoofer".

These small speakers are not going to give you big sound. They are meant for small rooms and low to medium level listening. They should be fine at moderate volumes but do not try to get much more than that out of these small speakers or you will damage them. If you have more than a medium sized room or want loud volumes, buy other speakers. Buy from a reputable audio dealer and do not go through eBay or other such overstock/refurbished internet BS for audio. You will waste your money trying to find a "deal". Buy something you can use to grow the system over time, any good audio dealer can assist you in finding such products.

Post Number: 3
Hi,

I your link didn't work for me but these are the speakers :
http://cgi.ebay.ie/SAMSUNG-PSWS100E-PSFS100E-5-1-Surround-Speaker-System-/140500 452458?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item20b67ac46a

thanks for the brilliant replay and for educating me a little more

I guess instead of how many watts do my speakers have I meant, how many watt's can my speakers take, but from your answer I think I know what your talking about.

Is it in the case where you hear awful cheap systems and if you turn them up loud you hear the speakers cracking etc, if this is the case i would imagine there is warning and not just a matter watching a movie and the whole thing going bang because its turned up too loud?

Thanks for the advise, I will take a trip to a local store that should be able to help me. sorry about not giving you a budget, I just not sure how much is the lower end of the market receiver, I realize I should be aiming to buy a receiver I can use for years but i am happy with a cheap fix for now till I start earning more. I think my budget lies between 100-200 the lower end of that preferably which I think i will definitely achievable.

I will take a look in local stores and get an idea and then prob buy online to get a better price, definitely going for a new (not refurbed) unit.

You can consider the samsung woofer dumped

Finally I just wonder if all this is a waste because the room is not ideal for this system as the room isn't a great shape and wiring of the speakers will be messy. I have a 360watt stereo in my parents house might end up using that if all fails

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15812

"not just a matter watching a movie and the whole thing going bang because its turned up too loud?"

You usually get some warning before things blow up but you will need to be paying attention to what the system is doing. If you don't pay attention, then things "just stop working".

"I will take a look in local stores and get an idea and then prob buy online to get a better price, definitely going for a new (not refurbed) unit."

Don't do that! Using a local dealer for advice and even a demo and then screwing them by buying on line is BS. The local dealer is there for a reason and their costs are higher because of that reason. If you want honest advice from a dealer who has been in the business for years and intends to be in business for years to come, then when you spend time gathering information at a brick and mortar dealer, you'll be doing the right thing to buy from that dealer. If you don't and you just use the dealer to find out what you should buy from someone else, sooner or later there won't be a local dealer to give you advice, provide a demo or to take care of any problems you have after the sale. You may disagree but taking your proposed method of doing business is IMO flat out stealing from the local dealer. You have no promises from any on line retailer. You can be sold a refurbished unit without being explicitly told its status but the dealer makes a higher profit because they bought it at a cheaper price. They might repack a return and ship it out to see if you notice. If they screw you, how do you get your money back? If they screw you, they just move on to another on line name and keep doing crappy business forever. If they tell you they have it in stock, they could be waiting for you to give them your money and then they'll order the unit from the manufacturer while you wait and they have your cash. Plenty of on line dealers are working out of their garage and you don't mean anything to them other than a credit card number and moving a box. Crutchfield and jr.com are long time, reputable companies but buy first from your local dealer.

Get to know your local dealer since they'll take the time to give you better advice than most on line retailers. You can usually hangout at a local dealer on a slow weekday afternoon (not on a busy Saturday afternoon) to listen before you buy. Ask the dealer how they compete against on line retailers. Usually, if a local dealer doesn't have the product in stock - which would be rare, they'll take a deposit from you for a portion of the selling price and they'll have a commitment to getting you the product. Shop local and buy local whenever possible, that's how audio shops survive in this economy.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2060
Patronizing a local dealer is a good idea. Once you have a 'relationship' you'll find more doors opening.

I have a camera habit. The local stores know me by name. I buy stuff there and may resort to the internet for some items. Maybe 75% of what I've bought was bought 'local'. good idea.

Imagine the fix you'd be in if it all went 'internet' and the real stores simply disappeared. Awful situation.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1308
The only reason buying online is cheaper than buying locally is because online retailers have competition: REAL STORES! If real stores go out, online prices will sky rocket! Besides, wouldn't you rather keep Joe Salesman, who wants to work, employed rather than support him with your tax dollars? For this very reason, I don't use self check out at grocery stores. I like a friendly cashier who is getting paid to ring up my order. Everytime people are replaced by machines, people who would otherwise work are taken out of the job force. Imagine your job being taken over by machines and you being forced to live, even if temporarily, to live off the system. Sure you want the best price, but at least let it be the best price from a real store. Thank you!

Post Number: 4
ok,

I get where ye are coming from, buy from a local store etc. I have no problem buying from one but prices being competitive is very important to me I am just a graduate from college so my budget is quite tight. I've been to these local stores an to be honest most of the time they want to make more money on commission to so try flog customers the most expensive product.

I graduate from IT and have had plenty of older people come to me for help with there laptops etc and seen they have been sold a ridiculous priced laptop with a high end graphics card etc when all they really anted was to look at some pictures etc.

Its all sounds good to support your local businesses and I agree. But when they try take advantage of customers with little or no knowledge I stop carrying about poor "Joe" the sales man.

I don't believe in just going into a shop and having a sales man advise me the best product because I don't generally learn anything from it. I
try to research things myself and get as much information as possible. In this case I have read a lot of articles etc and failing to find any solid advice I checked out here.

I appreciate your help on this, I am sorry if i offended or annoyed anyone here with any of my comments too.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15827

Dec, I sold audio for twenty five years and worked in sales for a dozen more. I admit to at times being a salesperson who wanted a customer to hear what I was hearing and I steered them towards higher priced gear if only for the experience of hearing something new. I'm sure a certain number of them felt I was only "trying to take advantage of them". Distrusting salespeople is all too common and I have more than a few memories of being treated like a piece of crap by someone who didn't care to know me and what I had to offer. They were more interested in taking out some of their personal frustrations on a salesperson who had certain limitations in what they could respond to.

Would you like to know more about Mr. Angel who greeted me with, "I'm going to make this the worst experience of your life"? I'll remember Mr. Angel (his actual name BTW) for a loooooong time.

So this works both ways. Communication takes a minimum of two people. What any good salesperson should know is they must "qualify" the customer at the begnning of the sales process. Bad salespeople don't bother to learn this and they should be avoided. This "qualification" process means to find out what the customer "thinks" they need or want. "Want" and "need" are often not the same and what the customer tells the salesperson they want is often not what they actually need - or actually what they really even want. How well the customer responds to the salesperson's suggestions are then a matter of communication. Granted, I've met a large number of seriously defficient salespeople and I've refused to buy so much as a stick of gum from them. But I also know in a hobby such as audio most salespeople are there because they like talking about what they enjoy outside of their job. Some are stupid and never learn anything. Some are there only until they can buy a car stereo at a discount. Some are incredibly knowldegeable and can talk your ear off and still misdirect you because they want you to buy what they would buy. There also exists a good number who have the idea of assisting the client in order to make them satisfied and hopefully a return client.

In the end, however, communication needs two people minimum. If the salesperson is not showing you what you think you want, ask them why they aren't doing so. Then listen to their answer.

I will guarantee you though, if you go into the shop thinking like Mr. Angel, you will not have a very satsifactory experience. Talk and then listen and you should do fine. Good sales are often far more talk than anything else if both parties are listening to the other. If not, ask for another salesperson. If the original salesperson isn't on commission, they shouldn't mind. If they are on commission, they'll split a sale with the next person. They cannot, however, split a sale that walks out the door. Being on commission or not shouldn't make a salesperson with integrity show you anything or tell you anything. The vast majority of salespeople have a good deal of integrity, they just might not have the knowledge they require to assist a client.

If you're not finding what you want from a shop, find another. Some shops just aren't going to appeal to everyone. But, as a consumer myself, I will tell you that you need to be open to doing your part also. Communication requires two people.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2071
Jan, I think people generalize the usual car-buying experience to ALL sales persons.
Everytime I buy a car, I feel soiled.
Except for the Ford guy I showed the invoice to. And YES, I bought a truck there....just not from that guy, who was off in a corner mumbling something about the old days when customers hadn't a clue. 500$ over is not an abuse. Nobody wants to do a 'mini'. Don't even ASK about holdback.
Sell the Sizzle!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us