Sob woofer crossover settimgs.

Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 6
Hello. My subwoofer has a range from 29 hz-120hz. I have it hooked up so it is activated all the time, not dedicated LFE. My mains are set at large. They are 38Hz-23kHz. Is the idea to set the sub crossover at say 30-60 hz, then set the eq to the mains at say 70hz? Is the idea to have the mains eq'ed so the pick up where the sub leaves off?
Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15409
Hi diggy.
The idea is to have the sub be seamless in integration and invisible. Ya OK, whatever.

The hardest part of Sub integration that I have found is cheap crap subs. The better subs use a 24db 4th order XO, some are higher order.
This presents an extensive parts adding XO, which CAN be overcome with the application of insane levels of power... that always works.

I would never use a sub again without getting a read on the room first.

Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 7
I have a Klipsch KSW 10 powered subwoofer. I am thinking of setting my front Klipsch RF 62's to small, and setting the sub at 60 hz. I will try purchasing decibel meter and set up cd soon. Thanks for the reply.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1631
You'll have to experiment.
If you run your main speakers full-range, then you may be able to hear too much overlap if the sub is set to cross over too high.
My main speakers are rated to under 40hz. I cross over even lower than that and you can't tell.

Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 9
You have to do some experimenting. I spent a lot of my spare time over a course of 2 weeks trying to set my sub just right. I ended up having to tune in a way that I never thought would work, but sounds perfect. I had to turn the bass on my receiver all the way down as in -10 dB, setting the sub frequency control to 40 Hz (lowest setting) and having the level control below half! This is with sats that only go down to 70 Hz too! It sounds great though!

Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 10
Also, I recommend these 3 songs for testing; "Nothing Else Matters" (the studio version) by Metallica, "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" by Amy Grant, and "Save the Best for Last" by Vanessa Williams. The first song is from Metallica's "black album" This recording has the unique quality of bass that is punchy, but not real deep. This will expose any gaps between the sub and the main. The 2nd from Amy's "A Christmas Album" She sings the first 2 staffs a capella thus isolating the female voice. If she sounds like a man, something's too high. If she sounds like a mouse, something's too low. The 3rd available on Vanessa's grtst hits has a really powerful bass line coming off the keyboard. If your level's too high, it will sound rattly. Once you get the level just right, it will sound amazing and you'll FEEL that bass line!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1681
NOTHING tests a sub like
Saint Sans :: Symphony #3 'with organ'. This will get the job done.

for a REAL thrill turn it up and leave the room. You WILL damage something and have been WARNED. I've knocked stuff off my walls with this piece. The 16hz organ pedal tone has incredible energy.

Super, your settings make reasonable sense. You were being hurt by too much overlap. Crossover settings are not brick walls. Your 70hz sats probably respond down to 45 or 50hz.though at very reduced amplitude. What is the crossover slope of the sub?

I have my sub crossover nearly as low as it'll go. about 35hz. My panels are rated to 35hz or so. Any higher a crossover setting and I get overmuch bass with bloom and boom. It is unpleasant. Panels are run full range and the sub has a 24db/octave crossover. The panels may roll off at 6 or 12 db/octave. The result is good flatness to the sub simply runs out of steam.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us