MHDT DACs and dCs

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 704
Anyone ever tried one of these non-oversampling tube DACs? They seem to get such high, and almost universal, praise. They are also relatively affordable. I was surprised to find no discussion of MHDT DACs here on ecoustics. One day I will probably give the Havana or Paradisea a shot. Less signal processing has me intrigued and is something I want to explore a bit.

Another brand I'm curious about is way at the other end of the spectrum. Anyone ever try dCs gear? How was it? I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one of their components, and this is probably why I don't see much dCs talk here either.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4131
The dCs stuff looks interesting Dan. Never even heard of it. What kind of ballpark price tag we talking here?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 730
Well, you can either buy a brand new luxury car or you can buy a dCS CD player. Suffice to say, I'll never be in that stratosphere unless I win a Lotto Max draw.

I've never even really looked into dCS until now...I assumed they made amps and maybe even speakers, but it looks like all they are focused on is digital playback. Here's a review that gives a nice short summation of one of their products:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/dCS-Scarlatti/

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4132
Yikes.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1004
One that's also received very good press, that's much closer to home, and reasonably affordable.
No oversampling, no digital filters, etc

http://www.audio-zone.ca/dac.html

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 731
Nice, thanks for the link Chris. I'm definitely interested in trying a non-oversampling and filterless DAC. The CA 650BD through such a DAC vs. the Apollo...should make for an interesting comparison one day. Not in the budget yet though.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15279
Didn't Nick have one of these to try?

Nick is washing his hands, for the `362536348 time today.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us