Speakers for Kenwood VR6070

Anonymous
I am thinking about buying Kenwood VR6070, but I don't know what speakers to hook up to it. I am thinking about buying the following SONY speakers:
Center - SSCN550H
L/R - SSMF550H
Sats - SSMB150H
Sub - SAWM500
Is this crazy idea?

BTW, what is the difference between THX EX and Select certifications?

Thanks,
Mac

nels76
Are you Referring to THX Surround EX?

Well, this is a surround mode equipped on the VR-6070. And having this qualifies this receiver to THX Selct Certified.

Get the point?

Anonymous
Thanks nels76! Get it.

I am newbie to setting up home theater systems. If the receiver sends the output of 100 watts per channel, should I use speakers with maximum output of 100 watts or more for best possible sound?

bluewater
Kenwood VR6070 using Cerwin Vega 623 speaker package rated at 6 ohms is this going to be a problem with the 8 ohm rated amp?

james16
my friend nels76 has a similar set-up, you can try mordaunt-short speakers, they are a good match. but for me personally, i would suggest monitor audio speakers (bronze series)....

but the best way is to audition them using your 6070 and also consider the interconnects and speaker cables... believe me that's also a factor....

goodluck

G-Man
THX EX and THX Select certs are two different things. THX EX is a way of decoding Dolby's Digital Surround EX---Simply put, Dolby Digital Surround EX is a"6.1" channel format that adds a "rear" surround channel to the existing 5.1 channel Dolby Digital Surround format.

For receivers and loudspeakers, the THX Select certification is for components that are certified to perform in a mid-sized home theater environment of up to 2,000 cubic feet. The volume of a room, expressed in cubic feet, is computed by multiplying the length by the width by the height of the room. (For example, a room that is 18 feet wide by 14 feet wide by 9 feet high, has a volume of 18 x 14 x 9 = 2,268 cubic feet.) The more stringent THX Ultra certification (which is equivalent to the original, plain THX certification) is given to components that meet the THX performance standards for larger home theater environments (up to 3,000 cubic feet). Theoretically, if you have a home theater environment that is 2,000 cubic feet or less, THX Select receivers and loudspeakers should deliver about the same presentation standards as the higher-end THX Ultra components.

Dolby Digital Surround EX is compatible with all existing DVD players and does not require deployment of new Dolby Digital chip sets to be used in new products or upgrades to existing processors. Essentially the way this works is that a DVD will have a Dolby Digital Surround EX 5.1 soundtrack with the rear surround channel information matrixed into the left and right surround channels. This DD-EX 5.1 soundtrack is 100% backward compatible with existing DD decoders (and their chip sets) For this reason THX is "trying hard not to call it a format," and refer to it instead as a new "feature of 5.1." DVDs encoded in Dolby Digital Surround EX will carry a digital flag within the "metadata" of the DVD that alerts a THX Surround EX decoder to the presence of a compatible soundtrack. The processor then decodes the soundtrack, and employs Dolby Pro Logic type matrix decoding on the left and right surround channels to derive the rear surround channel information and steer the signal to the rear surround channel speakers. This post processing of the signal is performed entirely in the digital domain, just any other type of DSP mode would be. An easier way to think about this is to think of it as an additional post-processing mode available for you to use with DD 5.1 channel material. Some processors allow you to use DSP modes that recreate the ambient environment of churches, or jazz clubs, or what have you, along with your 5.1 decoding. This is the same thing, essentially performing the extra matrix decoding of the surround channels on top of the decoding the DD 5.1 soundtrack.

To ensure a coherent soundfield, THX is also requiring that certified THX Surround EX processors be able to implement bass management, independent time delays, and level adjustments for each of the two speakers employed as the rear surround channel. THX Re EQ on both speakers comprising the rear surround channel is also required.

nels76
Well said G-Man,

Comprehensive and informative.

Anonymous of October 29,

For your speakers to be on the safe side, get a speaker which has a rating lower than that of the Receiver. With this, clipping will be prevented.

hey james16,
we have crossed continents now. we're far away from home.

I have this kind of Receiver and, like what james16 said, I have an all Mordaunt Short as my Speakers.
Front: MS 912 (4 - 8Ohms Nom., 150W MAx.)
Center: MS 905 (8 ohms nominal)
Surround: MS 902 (8 ohms Nominal)
Check there website for power rating.

Bluewater,

Actually it is safe to have a 6ohmers connected. But to be safer, follow what is written at the back (8 - 16ohms) like Mordaunt Short, Mission, B&W, Polk Audio Rt Series.

It's like this:
Car Manufacturers specify top speed of there products, say, 250mph max, but of course you can go beyond that, only thing is, the manufacturer guarantees performance at the specified speed only, beyond that there is a risk.

bluewater
Thank You for the reply. Is there anyone out there that has 6 ohm speakers connected to a Kenwood vr 6070? Is it powering then ok? any problems I should Know about or am I just Being to worried? I am not an Expert By no Means.

Berny
bluewater,
you may experience a bit more of a heat build up on your Kenwood by using a 6 ohm speaker, and heat is never a good thing. That unit is not very tolerant of anything besides its rated 8-16 ohm rating. The CVs have a high sensitivity rating so you don't need to turn up the volume too much, but I'm still leery of that rating. I like the Paradigms, Axioms or the Athenas for Kenwoods...the B&Ws, unless they are the higher end models, sound muffled.
cheers

Anonymous
G-Man and nels76,

Thanks for your help!

Mac

james16
bluewater,

i think berny is right in terms of more heat build up. i remember then nels76 was using his mini-component speakers (6 ohms) for his 6070 then (did not have mordaunt spkrs that time), and he was complaining with the amount of heat generated... he was really concerned for the welfare of his 6070...

but he used it for about 3 more months, no problem encountered except for some heat...

but i think A/V receivers that produces heat are normal...

now nels76 is happy because he has MS spkrs, plus the fact his 6070 is not as hot than before (of course Kenwood 6070 and mordaunt-short speakers matches well)

Bluewater
Berny & James16
Thank You for your replys. I called Cerwin Vega today and talked to a tech His reply was there speakers were rated 6 ohm nominal and they would work fine with a 8 ohm amp. Of course he works for them. BUT he did say that they Rate there speakers Different than others. There rating was 6 NOMINAL meaning that was the lowest point they would go he said they have an explanation of this on there website www.cerwinvega.com I went there to the support Q&A section and read about there ratings on Ohms Well I guess I still am a little confused BUT I thought you Profesionals would Know if this is a good thing. And may be I should go ahead and use them fore now. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us