Your advice for good CD player

Username: Apple0

Post Number: 4
Hi everyone,

In 1998 I purchased Krell 20 IL CD player because I heard its best CD player and I wanted the best source. After using it I felt its bit analytical, light much of upper frequencies, and little bit unemotional. But I could be wrong about this.

However, Now im thinking to buy new one and from reviews and reading I found Sony probably is the best and Japanese brands in general, very warm but without sacrificing resolution and details, liquid, coherent, not forward, none fatigue, no harshness no edginess, exactly what im looking for.

What do you think guys, shall I go for Sony? or any other brand you think have the qualities im looking for or stick with Krell? And what your opinion about Krell 20 IL pros and cons?

I appreciate any advice.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 896
What are your other components ? Budget ? I'm not sure I'd agree with your description of Sony players.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3778
Pretty sure the OP is gone, but if he's not, a couple of options...

Rega Apollo
Cambridge Audio 840C
Jolida JD100a (my current CDP)

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 23
I would suggest you to buy anyone from these three....

Cambridge Audio
Marantz CD63
Pioneer

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1462
you are barking up the wrong tree here if you expect us to agree that Sony (and pioneer for that matter to Nency) is better than Krell.

Please do some research.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 635
The Sony ES players are a little intriguing. I know they released a new SACD/CD player recently, the 5400ES, which retails for $2K or so. Too bad it looks like a $300 Sony player. Nevertheless, by most accounts it sounds really good, and I'm sure the build quality is better than their budget gear.

The review of the new NAD C565 in Soundstage was so unbelieveably positive that I'd really love to hear one. The reviewer (Doug Schneider) pretty much came out and said the sound was just short of his Moon Evolution Supernova player. I guess comparisons like this are common in many reviews and may not mean much, but still I got the feeling that he really felt this way about the NAD.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3872
Looks like the C565 was made to compete with the 840C.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 636
Dual Wolfson DACs and upsampling, in a player that is just under $800. I take it that's not too common. I think it's got five different filters too, and of course USB connectivity. Lots of bells and whistles, the question I have is whether all that stuff starts to take away from the main goal, which is playing CDs. Something that is solely dedicated to CD playback might be better at it because that's what everything in the box is designed to do.

I'd love to hear the 565 against the Apollo. From Doug's review it sounds like the NAD has a lot of what I'm looking for: lots of detail, richness and texture in the mids, a refined treble, a lot of weight to the bass, and it was able to convey a lot of space. You have to take all that with a grain of salt obviously, what he heard may not be what someone else hears. But perhaps a brand new NAD is better than a four year old Rega? Ultimately I suppose it depends on what one is looking for. I'm still worried that they crammed too much into one box for so little money.

Here is the review, if anyone wishes to read it: http://http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/nad_c565bee.htm

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3873
The 640C had dual Wolfson DACs as well, and it retailed for around 700 here in Canada when I bought mine 3 years ago.

The USB connectivity is a nice feature for some people I suppose, but I could never really see myself connecting an mp3 player to my CDP to listen to music.

Username: Brookethom

California, CA United States

Post Number: 1
Dual Wolfson DACs is really too unique than others. It is around 780 - 820$ They have min five different filters too, and of course USB connectivity any many more feature which make it differ than other..
soundandalarmdotcom

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1156
I wish my 840c had USB and not Serial.

I wrote the tech and suggested same. Big Deal. I wouldn't know how to get in touch with anyone who counts at Cambridge......

Since they make USB / Serial adaptor cables it would seem the 'fix' is fairly simple. Please correct if I'm wrong:
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us