Archive through January 10, 2010

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9789
I'll definitely toast to that Nuck. My Father fought in the big one even as his family was still being oppressed at home and he was a volunteer.

"O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

Hail to our brothers and sisters up north!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12572
And to that, I thank you and raise my glass, Art!

It is no small conveyance that my American friend acknoleges our tenacity and determination.

Thank you and bless all our allies who gave so much.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2226
To your grandad and all others who lost their lives or those of loved ones Nuck, our thoughts also.

Larry

Mrs Rantz and I are so sorry to read of your hearing loss. But we are happy that Mer and yourself are still standing each other. Thank goodness for technology (saves another marriage), but it must have a huge impact on one of your favourite pastimes - not so simple with which to cope I imagine.

But at least you have an excuse when those orders aren't followed [grin]

Kidding Mer!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12575
Missed you Lar.
I lost your email addy, so I send another PM your way.

Test at the hearing center is coming up here as well. I don't expect stellar results and I might consider an implant.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12576
Missed you Lar.
I lost your email addy, so I send another PM your way.

Test at the hearing center is coming up here as well. I don't expect stellar results and I might consider an implant.

Is this a tweak?
Yeah, thats the ticket...tweak.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1140
Nice tribute, Nuck.

Certainly a day to give thanks to those who bravely served and gave all.

The Canadian contributions are not, and should not, be overlooked!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12577
Thank you sir!

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1987
Well-stated, Nuck. As a half-brother to Canadians (my mother's side of the family - the De la Roches - came from Quebec) I oft-times look North for honesty and bravery and logic. Your tribute was spot-on, mon ami!
On hearing loss. First came disbelief - then anger - then acceptance. Hearing aides? What a joke those are! After being tested and fitted and all, I gave up. Most of my aging friends who've tried them had similar reactions. BUT they are oft-times life-savers, and hundreds of thousands of wearers must thank technology every day, so I cannot damn them too much. Just don't work for me - yet.
Art - congrats on the BD player - having "auditioned" some, I salivate at the possibilities. I know one is in my future, it's just a matter of time - and, of course, dollars! (grin)
To all dawgs - nice to see that most of you are still out there howling!
Back from time to time. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member
Username: Sem

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 895
Hi Larry!!

Hi Mer!!

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 74
Hi Larry and others
Happy to see you and all other friends on the board. I look at forum sometimes but I feel that the old days of the long and interesting AV discussions have gone. Don't give up hearing loss, wireless earphones, or volume control are both good solutions. I found another way to survive my marriage by having a special AV room for my personal use.
I have a new SONY LCD HD 40 TV that I traded from my wife. She received my Philips 32 LCD and she is happy with it. The SONY 40 is great for my relatively small music room and I am fascinated with it. Fortunately I am retired and have time to watch many operas. Blue Ray is now my future target
Another acquisition is APPLE TV streamer that my son gave me as a present for my birthday (brain exercises for old father). It is amazing device but I still learn how to work with it and the ITUNE. I started to move all my music to the computer at APPLE Lossless format, a tedious and hard work.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1988
Hi back, Sem!
Asimo: I'm afraid that my old eyes played tricks on me again, for when I read your posting, well, I thought you said: "I have a new Sony that I traded FOR my wife!" I thought that over for a minute - decided that might not have been a good trade - and re-read your posting. Whew! Got to start reading more closely!! GRIN

So many people are dumping their music on computer hard discs - but my, what a time-consuming chore! I have perhaps a dozen classical works on some of my 8g flash drives - thumb drives, if you will. I'm convinced that they DO sound more natural - but heck, the old "it's all in your mind" kicks in, so I really don't know. As my right ear only "hears" up to 4,000hz, the idea of "hi" fi is a thing of the past for me.

Again - if any dawg has experience with music/audio only on Blu-ray, and has compared it with SACD or CD sound - please let me know. Many thanks. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2265
R.I.P. Michael Jackson

Like him or not, he had a huge influence on many people and still does.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10080
Very sad indeed.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12740
He had a huge impact on all of his victims to be sure...

Kinda makes me like Willie Nelson even more.

Great entertainer and money maker for lots of Glitzy people.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 463
R.I.P. MJ. After all he created stuff that got into peoples lifes. For me it was "Billy Jean". Everytime I hear that song, it makes me remember all those afternoons me and my friends should have been doing high school homework but preferred the jukebox at our favourite cafe.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 897
Hey Arnold, long time...

Yes, whether you like his music or not; whether you liked him as an entertainer or not; there is no denying his enormous impact to the music and entertainment industry from the 60's through the 90's. I hope he has finally found the peace that eluded him in life.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12793
Hi Arnold, hope all is well.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2009/06/24/9912551-ap.html

No jokes about the flute, LOL.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2343
I couldn't help but have a little laugh when I read these headlines:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/839881/man-catches-on-fire-after-use-of-tase r

Please don't accuse me of racism, it was just the image it brought to mind that was comedic. Of course I feel for the poor person.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12952
Note the passing of J Gordon Holt.
Although ascerbic at times, and apparantly a difficult fellow at Stereophile nad a short stint at TAS, the guy coined many terms still accepted and used widely in our hobby and interest.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1445
I am very sad to announce the passing of a true legend in music and in life, Mr. Les Paul.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13198
The oldest dawg of all...

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1446
What a life he lived!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2405
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=425984&GT1=28102

My LP will be silent for the day.

Les Paul was a gift to music.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13199
4 Halls of fame, 5?

A man accomplished in all he endeavoured.

Truly worthy of a full-life movie.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10537
RIP Mr Les Paul.

I had a Les Paul back in 70's...wish I'd kept it.

That which he created will be with all of us forever.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1173
Rest In Peace

A TRUE legend

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2470
It's the 11th here now and we are thinking about the good folks in the US and what this day means.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1990
NO, I AIN'T DEAD. And Holiday Greetings to all Olde Dawgs from Mer n Lar in Swampville! It's been a difficult year, but we made it so far, and hope for a better 2010. On the audio front, the worst news came Christmas Eve, as we were sitting out on the patio listening to a CD of the Santa Fe Chorale. Suddenly - buzzzzzz-hummmmm-BANG! Uh-oh!
We thought it was the neighbors, but when we realized that the music had stopped, we ran into the living room - to find a very dead NAD receiver, and the smell of burned electronics in the air.
I hastily unplugged the power cord, and prepared for the worst.
Today, I checked it over, found what looks like some blackened parts, and tried unsuccessfully to bring it back to life. Nope. Nada. Nothing.
Well - the NAD repair shop in SW Flawed-duh! is a costly place with an attitude, but Monday I'll take it in to see if it can be fixed.
If not - I'll be searching around for a low-power receiver to basically use as a preamp - then use the WONDERFUL Carver stereo amp that an Angel of Mercy sent to me as the mains amps. The surround amps are secondary, as they're only used for movies, and not music.
I'm still waiting to go Blu-ray, and as our "old" Oppo still spins the discs without bother, the Big Switch may not come for awhile - especially now that the NAD is dead. SIGH.
We're pretty well stopped buying new CDs, so can't give out any updated reviews.
To all - we send best wishes for a Sterling New Year, with good health and productive lives.
Good Music to all Old Dawgs!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2260
Sorry to hear about your receiver but glad to know you "AIN'T DEAD".

I figure we all would prefer it that way than the other way around.

As to buying new CDs I have been employing a new strategy of late. Since I have just about everything I am familiar with in terms of artists I have started shopping the clearance racks at Half Price Books for specific labels such as Telarc or EMC. This provides me with outstanding music which I am not familiar with at bargain basement prices, like $1.00 per CD.

Good to hear from you Lar. Happy New Year to you and Mer and best of luck with that NAD. You know even if you get it fixed or replace you still should be able to "Line Out" to the Carver for your mains.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14252
Thank you for checking in Larry.
Good to know that you are both going well.
The Carver fairie may be on hiatus, but the lines should still work.
Check fuse.

Have a great New Year, Lar, and please check in often!

Jamie

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11652
Good to hear from you, Larry. Sorry about the NAD. Stereo music is still alive and well and so the news isn't all bad. Sherilyn and I wish you and Mer a fabulous new year, with good health and lots of music!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2570
­
Larry, I was thinking of you a couple days ago when I was listening to my annual spin of Sing We Christmas by Chanticleer. Hope you got to play them for the holiday before the NAD smoked.

May your 2010 be better. Stay positive and vertical.
­

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14279

Larry, good to hear from you. How are things going with Simply McIntosh? She's once again dropped out of sight.

I would suggest you not waste your time with a cheap receiver unless remore control is important to you. Head to a pre owned pre amp of higher quality for fewer dollars; http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preatran

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1991
So good to "hear" from y'all. And Jan, right after I finish typing this I'm going to go the link you so kindly posted. We'll see what they've got!
I take the NAD into the shop Monday - SIGH - but I'm afraid that the repair costs will be more than the unit is worth anymore. I see the 763s on sale for under $400. . .
I check in with SimplyMcIntosh, who has now gone into kayaking big-time. And she's got her whole house "un-wired" with several routers, etc. Sounds way too complicated for this old dawg! GRIN But she's doing well and is always a joy to read.
Will post more after I hear about the life/death of the NAD. DOUBLE SIGH.
And oh, yes, John, Mer and I DID listen to the same CD - before the NAD went on to the great Receiver Place in the Sky.
More anon, with respect. . . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2759
Hey there Larry, good to read you and Mer are okay and feeling much better than your NAD. Sorry to read about that little disaster. I take it your trip to ther Rockies went well. I tried to send you a pm a while back, but when changing to a new computer and coyping my old address book, only your old non-working email address was saved so it returned without your having laid eyes on it. Anyway Mrs MR and I send our best to you both and hope 2010 and your audio works out just the way you hope.

Cheers MR

Bronze Member

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 75
Hi Larry and all others

Happy to see you are on the board again, and to learn that you and Mer are well. The NAD heating problems is not new and was already on this forum few years ago:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/239273.html
I have an All NAD System and I try to keep my power amplifier C270 ventilated as possible (I also have good home insurance...)
As far as I know, the new NAD amplifiers like C375BEE are not submitted to heat and run cooler. I looked at NAD new amplifiers because after four years I think about upgrading my C162 C270 combo and I like NAD sound.
Since almost all my music is coming now from the computer through iTune Lossless and MF V-DAC I also think about the new audio innovation called Peachtree Nova that won much acclaim from many reviewers:
http://www.audioquartet.fr/pdf/nova_poy.pdf
The Nova has 5 digital inputs, high quality DAC, a single tube for the real audiophiles, and sells for about 1200$ same as the C375BEE NAD integrated.
Does anyone know something about that NOVA

Happy new year to all

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2761
A Stereophile reviewer raved about them. The DAC's are the same ones in the new Oppo Bd-83 SE. These seem a great all round little, but powerful amp/dac. People are buying them as a stand alone dac saying they easily trump the Beresford and DAC-magic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11670
Actually my wife's NAD C325BEE runs pretty warm and has already been to repair shop once. I don't recommend NAD anymore, too many problems.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1992
Jan - thanx for the links - but most of those preamps are way, way above my pay scale! (grin)
MR - sorry about the e-mail mix-up, I think you could have gotten my current one just by clicking on my name on this forum? I'll send you a (long) e-mail soonish, 'cause I'm very late in wishing y'all a Happy Holidays from Swampville!
The NAD's in the shop - with some perhaps encouraging words from the shop owner, who's been dealing with NAD stuff for some forty years. (didn't realize they'd been here that long!)
Anyway - he backed up the information I read here on the Forum re the NAD and its long history of capacitor problems. Said that was most likely my issue - and he recommended that if I want to "switch out" amps to a different one he seriously recommends the Cambridge models. His opinion - but I'll think about it IF the NAD is caput. SIGH.
The same guy backed up the information on speakers I've received from y'all on the Forum (with my thanks) He wanted a diagram and description of our listening room, and when I drew/discussed all the distances, treatments, walls, etc. he said: "Well, as you know I sold a lot of B&W 705s - and you auditioned them here - but I have to say that your room size and obvious acoustics tell me that your speakers don't have a chance there. Put them in a nice room about 10 x 12 and they will "sing" for you. HMMMMM. . . . . . ..
He also said they need a lot of power to do well, but he admitted that the NAD should do very nicely there.
So - Mer and I plan to tear our house down and re-build - - -NO, NO, just kidding! (?)
OPPO UPDATE: Have a friend of a friend who got the new Oppo BD player - and tells everybody she's never heard AUDIO like that before! I guess the new player must have superb DACs or sum-ting, because we thought she'd rave about the Hi-Def video! Not so. . .
Maybe the new Oppo BD83 IS in my near future? A lot will depend on whether the NAD is repaired - or a new amp is in order. DOUBLE SIGH.
Well - enough rambling.
Happy Holidays to all of you around this crazy world of ours. May we all have peace and prosperity - and sanity - in 2010.
Thanks for reading.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2762
Larry, yep I should have checked your details, but I assumed they would show your old address. I had forgotten the change to gmail.

I have the Oppo BD-83 and it is great, but the SE version is really the one to aim for if you want to use the analogue connections for superior sound. I am considering getting mine upgraded as soon as the dealer here has the parts.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1993
Yo - M.R. et al - if you're interested in the BD-83SE - might want to read this before shelling out your bucks.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd -blu-ray/oppo-bdp-83se
Much of the info is above my learning level - but I'm sure you can easily digest it all.
SIGH. Every time I look at a picture of that BD-83. . . . . . . . . . . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2764
Thanks Larry, but for use with analogue outputs the benefits of the SE (or the SE upgrade in my case) are considered superior in sq - I would think especially so compared to the dac's in the Marantz reciever with using the hdmi connection. But, simply using a hdmi connection, the standard player is still sensational value - it has more rave reviews than any other player. It would be only for SACD and DVD-A that I would require the upgrade. For CD, I think it would still be hard pressed to equal the Saturn. At least I would hope it wouldn't.

Thanks for the email - one coming backatcha soon.

Cheers
MR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1994
M.R. et al: As I understand it, the HDMI connection is only for digital, not analog out? My Oppo has HDMI, which I run to the Samsung TV - but the NAD, as you know, does not have HDMI. Not sure I'd ever run AUDIO only through HDMI, anyway.
The 83-SE does make me drool - the very thought of really, really GOOD CD/SACD playback? Hmm. . . .on my wish list, fer shore, sir!
Did a lot of probably aimless researching on the 'Net late last night - and came upon several "experts" on various forums who echo the comments I found on this forum: that the older NADs had big-time capacitor problems, but that the 763 fixed a lot of them. Hmm. . .guess mine got missed!
GRIN
I also got comments made by y'all on this forum that the B&W 705 needs a lot of power - and probably won't do all that well in a huge space such as my living room area. OK - message receiver, again. One guy added that the 705s, in his "opinion", need AT LEAST 125 watts of power to do well. Uh, that sorta mirrors what I got from B&W themselves - they say a minimum of 100 watts. The NAD supposedly has the requisite 100/channel, so I guess I'm "borderline" with the power issue.
When I hooked up the glorious Carver amp to the NAD preamp-outs and ran the B&Ws on that they seemed to "sing" a lot clearer - but then the WAF factor came into play and "all that equipment" had to be hidden away. SIGH. The Carver had nowhere to go - so it's back in "storage" until I get different equipment housing. May I add an extra SIGH here? Thanx. . .
NAD, as y'all know, was sold to the Lenwood(?) group in Canada several years back, and now they're part of the PSB speaker group. Anyway, a good friend suggested strongly that I get a pair of PSB floor-standers for the living room - they are a "perfect" match with the NAD, the guy said. Well, he's an audio consultant in New York City, and I tend to listen to him - although I can't afford any of his suggestions! Anyway, this new year may bring some changes to our house. . .
Now, M.R. - if that OPPO 83-SE didn't cost $900 USD. . . . . .
Respectfully. . . LarryR

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4833
It is a pleasure to see resumed activity here.
I wish everyone Happy New Year, 2010.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2765
Likewise!

Good to see you here John, even if only for a fleeting moment.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2766
Larry and anyone else interested in the Oppo BD-83, here is another in depth review:

http://www.avguide.com/review/playback-22-oppo-digital-bdp-83-blu-rayuniversal-p layer

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1995
That does it! I'm starting a rigorous saving program this week - and WILL get a new BD-83 SE sometime in 2010. SIGH. The appetite has been honed by y'all. . .
Respectfully, and with warmest 2010 wishes. . . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11688
Happy New Year, Lar, and everyone!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14286
Lar, I am changing out my Apollo for the Oppo SE...it is that good.

Happy Yew Nears!!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1996
Nuck, Art, et al: And New Year's Good Wishes back atcha! Now somebody please tell me: have any/all of you actually done some serious audition-work with the BD-83 SE? Nuck, you say it's "that good." What, in poor old scribe's language, does that mean, please?
I'm willing to scratch around to buy something that's usually over my budget - if it's "that good." Maybe. . .
Still waiting for NAD-word - hope it's good news. . .SIGH
Respectful-like. . . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11695
I haven't listened to it Larry. As you may know, I'm not an Oppo fan. I think they are highly over rated. That's not to say that the new product isn't fabulous, it probably is, however my experience buying two of their previously highly rated products is that they don't live up to it. Not in my home at least.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1997
Art: Yes, sir, I remember previous comments you've made re the Oppo gear. And when I gaze on your equip list it's no wonder that your taste in audio equip is a tad higher on the price list than mine is! GRIN
You're obviously way ahead of me, sir, and at a place that my budget will never allow me to go - and good for you, Art!
So I await the review by Nuck - and anybody else who's spent some time with the new Oppo SE.
About the only "new" thang that Mer and I have received in the wunnerful world of audio is some new 10AWG speaker cables from Blue Jeans Cables. Pretty lo-fi in themselves, I guess, but fine enough for the 705s. (As y'all know, I'm not a fan of hi-end speaker cable)
Maybe in 2010 Mer will figger out how to re-set-up the Carver amps so her eyes and my ears are both happy? GRIN. I know it's very subjective, but I swear the 705s sound fuller with the Carver amps.
But y'all know about that magical "WAF" and how equipment can be made to disappear? Hmm. . . . . .
Anyway - Happy Listening to All!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11696
It's not about price or being ahead of anybody, Larry. I have no tolerance for that kind of snobbery. If the Oppo products would have performed up to the reviews, in my home, I'd have been happier than a hog in slop. I'm not sure you were around when I dabbled in garage sale audio, but performance is important to me, price, not so much. The less the better.

Bronze Member

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 76
Hi Larry and all

Last Opera meeting was at a friend house that organized an Home Theatre in his basement. The audio video gear was:

Blue Ray - SONY BDP - S550
Projector - Mitsubishi HC6000 Full HD
Receiver - ONKYO TX - SR607
Speakers - DALI IKON 5 , 7

The opera we watched was a new 2009 Blue Ray edition of Turandot from Valencia new opera house Zubin Metha conducting:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=353544

It is the first time that I watch opera in Blue Ray full HD front projector on a wide screen and it was nothing less than amazing. The recording of video and sound were excellent, and the image was sharp and clear like in a modern movie house
My friend told me that that he spent some time to find the correct balance between the 5 speakers and to adjust the projector.

I write all this because I see the enthusiast of the forum member from the OPPO 83-SE and I think that the SONY S550 Blue Ray was excellent too, and cost less.
May be all good Blue Rays are better with audio from average DVD or CD players.

Happy New Year to all

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1998
Art: believe me, sir, I meant no offense - I'm just a bit in awe of the kit that you've accumulated over the years - and what marvelous sound it must produce for you. Old retired scribes simply don't have the resources of "working folk" and thus we meter our expenditures - sadly.
And to Asimo - how wonderful for you! Yes, opera lends itself very nicely to the Blu-ray format - one reason I drool over the new Oppo. My current Oppo upscales very nicely, but the few BD demos I've seen tell me that I'm missing about a third of the experience!
Yes, you can get credible BD players for MUCH less than the Oppo - our local Sam's Club has one on sale for $99! But one has to consider several factors: overall quality of display, audio performance, and number of formats the machine will play. Oppo would seem to be the broadest-format player on the market for under $2,000 USD.
Anyway - I'm awaiting more first-person accounts of BDP-83 SE players, and SAVING MY MONEY! GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11700
No offense taken, Larry. Just being straight forward.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1999
That's one of your better qualities, Art!
And BTW - IF you're ever in a place where you can audition the BDP-83 SE - pass your reflections on to the old dawgs! Me thinks that more than one of us might be interested in shedding dollars. . .GRIN
Your CD players are simply superb - but I need more of a universal player, given my budget constraints and the number of SACDs I have in my library (43) - and which, at least on my current player, give me a much more realistic sound than my CD collection does. SIGH.
Is SACD on its way "out?" Heck, depends on whom you read, I guess. But for Classical and Jazz it does give the listener a better all-round experience, IMHO. So if an artist comes out with a CD and SACD - I gravitate to the SACD - and cross my fingers! GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14291
HNY fellas!
Hello again Asimo!

Yes Larry, I heard a preproduction model of the BD83SE a week ago.
The shop was in Montreal, and this will be a service depot for the units from Oppo.

2 minutes with the tech guy told me what I needed to know.
It does not skip, it does not falter, it loads very quickly.

Art's well documented and reported review is for a past model, but I understand his semi-constant flossing to clear his previous bad taste, chewing tin foil somrtimes is preferrable to trying again.

The Oppo BP83SE seemed to me to be vey competant. It was a quick session, but crap will float pretty quickly, and this player was not that.

I buy one!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11701
I probably have as many SACD's as you do and the CD layer sounds great on my players. I think the CD layer often sounds as good if not better on a good dedicated player as the SACD layer does on a budget SACD player. Depends on the player I guess. Early Sony budget SACD players were often very good with SACD and not so good with CD. I've owned some pretty decent, though not superb, SACD players and none of them sounded as good as what I get with my present players in CD...except that early Sony that I owned. Damn, it sounded sooo good on the SACD's.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2000
Nuck: thanx - and keep us informed when you get yours!
Art: Yeah (blush) I keep forgetting about that CD layer on the SACDs - among many other things I forget! SIGH.
Your points are well taken, sir. And you seem very well-set with your kit. But as I remember, that will only last a short time - until, perhaps, your next foray into the wild world of audio???Hmm. . . .GRIN
As Mer and I listen to SACDs in 2-channel mode anyway, I guess a great CD player would serve us very well. But then there's Blu-ray. . . .SIGH.
Respect to all. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11702
Nuck, I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't review any Oppo players. But the model(s) that I'm talking about were current right up until they released BP83SE, and I still own one. I do believe I stated that the current model may be quite good, I don't know. However I do have experience with two other highly regarded models which were not very good. I may be in the market for a new player myself soon so I will be watching for reviews.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2001
Art: W H A T? Another new player! Hmmm. . .I just knew you couldn't be totally satisfied with your kit for more than, oh, say, 23.7 hours? GRIN
And yes, respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14293
I will put the 83SE into service as soon as possible!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2002
As would be expected of a good - fellow - caNUCK! GRIN

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11704
The main audio system sounds great, Larry.

I'm interested in a player for the home theater as I may be doing a garage conversion in a year or so. I want a player that can do it all as I will be aiming further up the ladder with multi channel performance at that point. If I don't do the garage conversion then I will probably be looking to up the performance of the home office system as it could become the main system...lots of stuff up in the air.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2003
That's what I like about you, Art - you're, uh, "flexible!"
GRIN
Happy decision-making!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2004
Jan - Art - Michael - all dawgs. Need some expert advice here, please!
Taking apart all my inter-connects and cables whilst the NAD is in the shop, and finding some corrosion here and there.
At my B&W speakers there are four connectors - two each for tweeters and woofers. The B&Ws came with el-cheapo bridges between woofer/tweeter posts - which I immediately replaced with 10AWG copper wire. Worked fine, I thought.
But when I took everything down the copper had corroded in spots - not terribly bad, but enough so I was worried.
End of history. I called around to several places, and even e-mailed some speaker gurus.
One of the consistent recommendations was to put SILVER WIRE as a bridge between woofer/tweeter posts. OK - out to Mer's studio, where she has some nice, thick silver wire used in jewelry-making.
YOUR THOUGHTS HERE - would it, indeed, be best to bridge the posts with the silver wire? And if so, what would happen in the woofer posts, where the copper speaker wire enters and would be in contact with the silver?
EXPERTS, PLEASE SIGN IN HERE!

Second thought: If you like to keep your kit as dust-free as I do, take Mer's suggestion and get some of the new Swiffer Dusters. They've got a nice handle, and they fit between amps, CD players, etc. and do an excellent dusting job. Highly recommend them. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2772
Larry, for what it's worth, I'd suggest using silver if the internal wiring is silver otherwise I'd use the same wire you as your speaker cable. It is a common practice to recut the wires occassionally to get rid of corroded ends.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2005
M.R. - don't know about the wire itself, but B&W says the solder used in the speakers is silver solder. I guess that qualifies?
COLD here! Not used to that!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2773
Larry, all I can suggest is that you get rid of the jumper bars and try both types and use which ever your ears (or Mer's) like. You can even try connecting your speaker wires to the bottom, top or diagonal poles to see if there is any beneficial difference.

Though maybe not with Mer in the room (grin).

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2006
No, MR, Mer will NOT be in the room for the first hook-ups! It's dicey enough as it is. . .GRIN
So far, I've cut the silver wire into proper lengths - tomorrow I'll take the wire and hammer the ends to flatten them just a bit so they get more contact with the binding post holes. Then I put shrink wrap in the middle so there's less corrosion potential there. And then - hopefully - they'll make great connections between the woofer/tweeter posts. When my new speaker wire gets here from Blue Jeans Cables I'll connect all - - - to what? Nuttin' until/unless my wunnerful NAD gets back from the hospital. SIGH.
At this point, three of the five responses I've gotten from various sources say go with the silver. Two say stay with the copper. OK.
I figger that with free silver - I go for it!
SimplyMcIntosh opines that perhaps the silver would add treble to the speakers, though I don't see how a simple bridge could possibly do that. SIGH.
Anyway - thanks for the get-back!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2007
To add to the above - my "silver jumper" concept seems to have been picked up already - by those who've found a way to make an extra buck or three!
http://www.puresilversound.com/prod03.htm
It never stops. . . .LARRYR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11766
There are jumpers make from various material, however that doesn't mean that they will be a good fit with your system. Try more than one and see which you like the best. I tend to like copper more often than silver...but not always. As MR stated, also try different configurations. I recently had a good lesson relative to that.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14305

Ask Mer which she uses in her jewelry construction, fine silver or sterling silver. If she uses sterling silver, pass on the silver jumpers. Sterling is an amalgam of several materials which inhibit oxidation of the silver itself. The additional materials are less desirable for use in audio. If she uses fine silver, then try the silver as jumpers.

Don't concern your self with oxidation of silver (like I know you'll not worry about something ) as silver oxide is not detrimental to the performance of the jumper - trust me on this one. I would recommend fairly thin gauge solid core cable (one single conductor as opposed to a stranded cable) which, with minimal pressure on the binding post, should snug up nicely. There's no high voltage and certainly no high current running to the tweeters so there is no need for anything more than what gets the job done. Should you peek inside the B&W's you won't find 10AWG cable for internal wiring. I would advise against thick, stranded cable for jumpers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2008
Art, Jan, et al - thanks for the response(s) First, Mer uses mainly sterling silver, which is 92% fine silver and the rest mostly copper. Very good conductors, with less oxidation than fine silver. She does have some fine silver - and I'll try both.
I know that putting different metals together can cause problems - but we're dealing with a small amount in a short run, without, as Jan points out, high voltage.
I've dissed the 10AWG stranded jumpers, anyway - so now will move on to trials of two silvers and a solid copper - just to see if there's any appreciable difference - which I seriously doubt.
Can't get to the bottom line until the NAD is back, anyway, but need some projects - and the connector-cleaning fits the bill nicely.
And if the NAD is toast - you'll hear the wailing loud and clear. SIGH.
I'm simply amazed at the silver jumpers advertised online - it's "gotcha" land out there, fer shore! GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2009
And oh, yes - Art - what was the "good lesson" to which you refer?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2010
NAD update. CRACKED. Solder joint on the main board. Will cost me the bundle of $160 USD - but I can pick it up on Friday. DOUBLE SIGH. A cracked solder joint? Hmm. . .it's been perking away for who knows how many years now, and suddenly - BANG. (just one more. . . .sigh)

After checking around and about I decided to try some of Mer's 92.5% Sterling wire - 7.5% copper. Twelve gauge. Made up jumpers and put shrink wrap in the middle between the binding posts. Looks great - and I can already hear the sound stage widening, and the colorific empositurity gaining upshurtedness. Yep. . .and they look great! (big grin)

New 10AWG speaker wire from Blue Jeans comes tomorrow - and we'll hook everything together on Friday. (fingers crossed big-time)

Now I start saving up for the Oppo Special Edition. (drool)

Belated "hi" to everyone from SimplyMcIntosh, who's been actively pursuing more wireless sound in her house - and is sorta bruised from a kayaking encounter with a large rock. Ah, the young. . . . .

Onward. . . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2776
That's good and bad news Larry. Bad if it has more problems soon and good if it last for quite a few years more. Go for the good!

Save those pennies, the Oppo won't disappoint.

Now, what we'd all like to know is just where are SM's bruises and pics please.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14309

Larry - You haven't mentioned how your hearing is doing. My tinnitus is having a heyday of late.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2011
MR - I ain't gonna go anywhere near SM's bruises, etc. - you'll have to contact her yerself! I'm chicken. . . . .(grin)
Jan - Tinnitus is well under control - thanks to a naturopath doc who put me onto magnesium supplements. I take an extra 400 mg of magnesium citrate daily - the tinnitus only comes on occasionally now. Really. . .
And yes, all - we're rooting for GOOD news! SIGH.
Still awaiting personal reviews of the Oppo SE - comm-ahn, Nuck!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2777
Larry, I shall tell my mother & brother about the magnesium citrate as both suffer from tinnitus.

Larry, will a review of how good John Couger Mellencamp played on the SE help you?

Sorry Nuck - just kidding. Besides I recently purchased Words & Music and the sound is jawdroppingly good as is the music. Great remastering.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2778
This is well worth a read:

http://audioaficionado.org/general-audio-discussion/2991-oppo-bdp-83se-versus-mc intosh-mcd500.html

Fill those piggy banks quick Larry (grin)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2012
M.R. - et al - thanks for the link, though it wouldn't "take" for some reason and I had to hand-enter it. But I got it - and was gratified to read that the Oppo holds her own against the vaunted MCD500 player. (expensive!!)
Saving my nickels and dimes as I prepare to go to pick up my re-soldered NAD tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it is truly fixed!

ON THE MAGNESIUM - first, do not take more than 200mg at a single dose - I try to take 150mg at a time. Might produce some minor stomach aches. And - NOTE - for a person just starting to take the magnesium, start out at only 200 mg a day - divided into two doses. As with all supplements, each person reacts differently.
Also - on the TINNITUS - one of the overlooked causes is simple dehydration. Too much coffee, an extra couple glasses of wine, forgetting to drink water - it will catch up with tinnitus-sufferers. Believe me, I know this!!
I know that is pretty much off-topic for the Old Dawgs forum, but as Jan asked, I tried to answer.
Meanwhile - those sterling silver bridges on the backs of the B&Ws woke me up last night - the gleam off the nightlights was bright!
DOUBLE GRIN, guyz. . . . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Bronze Member

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 77
Hi Larry
Sorry lo learn that you have problem with your NAD receiver. I did have some repairs in my older NAD MONITOR 7000 and I had to pay more than 180$ totally but the new NAD combo C162 C270 works perfectly almost three years now.
Your Magnesium prescription for the tinnitus is interesting because I suffer from it sometimes. During the years I had learnt to live with it , so it is not Off topic and very important to music lovers.
I understand that you have connections with SimplyMcIntosh. why not ask her to drop some words in the forum. I always liked her audio equipment descriptions.

Best to all

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2013
Asimo, et al - glad to hear from you! Sorry about your NAD troubles and your ear problems - which so many people have! The magnesium works very well for me, and for two of my friends who I've persuaded to take it. But it doesn't always work for everyone - so take note, please.

I shall, indeed, post to SimplyMcIntosh that the olde dawgs request her appearance on the Forum. She's a wonderfully bright soul, and Mer and I always enjoy her e-postings, not to forget all the help she's given me re both computers and stereo through the years. A very good friend to have!

Here I was, celebrating the NAD's rejuvenation, when my new Linksys wireless router began to disconnect me. SIGH. Getting worse, so I called Linksys (India) and after 90 minutes finally persuaded them to send me a new unit. When it comes, I send back the old one, at my expense. Does EVERYTHING I buy break down? My track record would indicate that's about true. DOUBLE SIGH (sorry, Jan, for the extra sigh)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14327
Chins up, Lar

i, too have the need to try magnesium. My mom and sis pressed it on me for years for some pain or another, I keep checking the phone.

Here we go folks...
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/story/2010/01/07/stamp-albums.html

Sorry for the ad filled post, just the first I saw of it!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2577
­
It's about time somebody thought of using album covers for stamps. I liked one comment posted:

"The Beatles White Album... the original LPs had embossed cardboard covers. That would be cool. Embossed stamps... And to really capture the sixties, the glue should include a hit of acid..."

BTW, guys -- I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but if you want to post a link and have it "take" as Larry says you have to put a backward slash (\) followed by "link" (link) then curly bracket in front of the url, followed by a comma and then repeat the url address after that with a curly bracket right after that. The link turns blue and active.

So Nuck's link becomes:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/story/2010/01/07/stamp-albums.html

This is necessary due to changes by admin to discourage spammers.
­

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11775
Good to hear that the NAD is alive and well. My Linksys is on the fritz as well, I've gone to a hard wired connection for my networking and even that ain't going to too well. I'm not as patient as you Larry, after about 20 minutes with India, I was done. I'll buy another one of these days. I will pay more money but save some wear and tear on my endocrine system...lol!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2014
Art, et al - it's not that I'm so patient - rather that I'm desperate! GRIN So the India-link is just another of life's persistent nags. I did get a kick out of the guy insisting on calling me "Sir Laurence," however. . . now I'm trying to train Mer. . . . . . yeah.
I've been reading a lot on the Linksys forum regarding wireless router problems - especially the WRT160n that I bought! Of course I'd buy the absolutely worst version, doncha know! SIGH.
Well - Linksys has a new one on the way - but one of the guys on the forum said he'd been through three of them, and that he was now going to give up.
Just finished cleaning all my interconnects - and the new Blue Jeans 10AWG (white) speaker wire was just dumped on my doorstep by FedEx. Got it hooked to the speakers, and now await my trip downtown to pluck the NAD from the clutches of the repair-mopes.
I know I'm "bucking" Jan's recommendation that I NOT use sterling wire for the speaker bridges, but fine silver wire for those bridges will cost me about $20, and I'd have to wait for the shipping. I still may go that route, but frankly I'm not sure whether it would be any "better" than the 92.5 silver/7.5copper alloy that I have. Maybe somebody could enlighten me, but for an inch and a half run, how much of a difference could it make?
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2015
I can't believe it. SIGH. Went in to get the NAD today - talked with the repair guru who said it was a hard fix - and then gave me the bill. We took the NAD out to the car (after I checked the serial number) and loaded it in. I checked the remote to see if the blue tape with my name on it was still there. It was. Drove the 19 miles home and unloaded it all.
Well, then I tried to "fire up" the remote. It was dead. I opened the battery compartment - to find some el-cheapo dead batteries, where I had just put in new batteries. Hmm. . .then I checked the compartment to see the markings I'd secretly put there. NOPE. This was NOT my remote! SIGH.
Called the mopes, who'd already gone for the day - so will march down in the ayem and confront them. Why did they switch the name tape? Where is my remote? Will the earth stop rotating tomorrow? (yes)
BIG SIGH
Does NOTHING I do every come out right?
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14341
Maybe the remote was the fix, Lar?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2779
Does NOTHING I do every come out right?

Larry, ask Mer that one (heh, heh).

When you confront the Nad repairer be nice - don't burn your bridge - remember you have a NAD (kidding - well almost).

Someone said life wasn't meant to be easy. Very correct! We put my mother-in-law in hospital last night. She's looking at a pacemaker at a minimum as well as a possible replacement valve in her heart meaning major op. Won't know until Mon-Tues. There's always something. Laugh about it Lar - you are still erect.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2016
M.R. - et al - wellllllll - I was nice with the NAD-mope-fellah, but things didn't turn out very pleasant. Seems that the repair-guy had another NAD in for service, and when he found out that the other guy's remote wouldn't work - he gave the other guy my remote and switched the name tags around.
I took in the "wrong" remote today and confronted the mopes. At first they questioned whether I could prove that I'd got the wrong remote, and I told them: "well I know it's the wrong one because I scribe my Social Security number on the inside!" That got their attention. . . and they "promised" to get in touch with the probably-rich mope and ask him to send back his remote for a trade-out.
I'm not holding my breath on this - they gave me a "loaner" remote to use, which does absolutely nothing with my NAD. DOUBLE SIGH.
ASIDE FROM THAT
All that silver, Jan! Must make the difference! I struggled mightily to hook up everything this afternoon, and when I got finished I called Mer in for an "audition."
"Oh, my!" she said, "it sounds so clean and, I don't know, 'full!'"
Well, I had to agree that the rig did sound cleaner than before, but I was afraid to say anything. . . placebo effect and all that.
Well, after playing several discs - have to go to the NAD to raise volume, etc - I decided that the whole thing DOES sound more full-bodied. Hmm. . . .(hit me if you wish)
Now I await whatever happens with the remote - and wonder how much "better" (sorry, Jan) the rig would sound with the new and marvelous Oppo 83SE player.
Waiting for Nuck's clear-cut review when he gets his - and for M.R. whenever he upgrades his 83 player to SE status.
And now I'm gonna have a drink. (I deserve it)
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14324

" ... and I told them: "well I know it's the wrong one because I scribe my Social Security number on the inside!" That got their attention. . . and they "promised" to get in touch with the probably-rich mope and ask him to send back his remote for a trade-out."

Hmmm, so you've told a group of people you do not know and possibly could not identify in a police line up, who have already proven their ethics to be questionable, exactly how to gain access to your SS number?!

I assume you also gave them a check with your bank account number on it?

You didn't by any chance mention your mother's maiden name, did you?

Oh, well, as they say on the soaps, "Does NOTHING I do ever come out right?"

That's not fair to do to someone on a weekend, is it? Sorry, Lar.

Have another drink and don't mention this to Mer.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2017
No, Jan - because the numbers on the remote are not really my SS number, but a "code" for me to understand, but nobody else. But they don't know that, of course. They just know that there's a way for me to positively identify my remote. . .
And I gave them a credit card. And my sister's married name. (she's dead, BTW)
And that's all I care to say about that! A GRIN FROM ME 2 U, JAN.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2268
Lar, once you get the remote back safely in you hands ask to speak with the store owner. Calmly explain the "theft" of your remote that you foiled to him. Once he gets to the point of "how can we make this up to you sir?" you hit him with "a full refund of the service charges will resolve this equitably thank you." He may resist but then you can explain to him things like the Better Business Bureau, contacting each of the manufacturers whose gear he sells and supports and relaying the story to them, and not to mention the various forums who would want to know what service shop does this kind of thing to Customers.

I am curious as to why you brought the remote in with the NAD in the first place.

P.S. Try the pure silver wire for jumpers. Send me your addy on a PM and I will send you the pure silver wire for you to use. I do not think I have the packaging around here still from you CD mat though I still have the mat.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2018
Michael - thanks for your thoughtful posting. First, the shop requested that I bring in the remote - the NAD needs it for many controls, they said. The owner and I had a talk today, and he's treating it as a "simple mistake," though it's much more than that. I give him until mid-week, then get tougher with him. All I want is the remote. . .the NAD, meanwhile, sings along nicely, even though the "loaner" remote from the shop doesn't work with this amp! SIGH.
You still have an Insanity Mat?!? I though surely those would have self-destructed by now! A GRIN TO END ALL GRINS.
And if anybody out there is in the Naples/Fort Myers area of SW Florida, the shop in question is the House of High Fidelity, on Tamiami Trail in Naples. It's been there since 1957. . .really!
REspectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2780
Larry, it's straight out theft - keep that in mind for your negotiations. And good luck my friend.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14328

OK, so to activate a URL, the discussion of the method is located here; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/suggestions/603696.html

The process then follows what has been described above by JOHN S.

Place a backslash ("\") followed by the word "link".

Next place your opening bracket ("{") and then enter the URL immediately following the bracket.

After the URL has been entered into the post you'll need to add a comma (",") and then re-enter the URL once more.

End the entry with a closing bracket ("}") and that should activate the URL link.

I've tried the other method described by the Admin - hitting the icon to the left of the smiley face - and found it doesn't work well. If someone figures that one out, please let me know what is required to make the link activate.

Test:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1881.asp

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14361
No, I do not allow scripted windows.
If it is worth the time, then cut and paste the URL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us