FedEx Strikes Again

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4138
Remember back a few months I had to send my new Jolida CDP back to their headquarters for warranty repair? Well all is good and the CDP is working flawlessly, and months later I get a bill from FedEx for 90 bucks, even though it was clearing marked on the export papers that the unit was travelling for warranty repair.

I contacted Michael Allen at Jolida and he's being a stand up guy and taking care of everything for me. Damn you FedEx!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13007
Sorry to hear that, David...screw 'em!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4139
Thanks Art. At least I'm not out the 90 bucks.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4140
Still a hassle though. Why are they so evil?

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1006
I got a shipment from Parts Express a while ago (delivered by Fedex) and two different agencies tried collecting the VAT and Duty.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4141
That's nuts.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3134
Fed-Ex is horrible. They always have been, always will be. Glad Jolida took care of it David. They sound like a stand up company.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4144
I'm actually impressed Nick. I didn't even expect a response, much less from the prez of the company.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3135
That is awesome.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 477
Glad to hear that, David.

I can't stand FEDEX. I should have shared my experience with those FEDEX *##*#*#*, for two weeks; when I sold my Wharfedale Opus 2. But I don't even want to type it up because it will only piss me off more, lol.

Unbelievable.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4148
Sorry to stir up some bad memories for you NMT. I can feel your anger, lol.

FedEx and UPS are both criminal organizations in my opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3139
I have had nothing but great success with UPS. I guess depending on the driver and the truck they all could suck from time to time.lol. FedEx just sucks way more than the others.lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4151
The thing I don't like about shipping things UPS, is that you can't insure the package from damage unless they pack it themselves, for an extra charge of course. This makes no sense since all my stuff I ship is already in the original packaging, and is usually double boxed. Just a cash grab really.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1450
My old boss at works summer job working for UPS was cut short when he low-bridged one of there trucks.
BOTH my DOA CD players were last handled by UPS.....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4157
I think the only time I've had something I shipped arrive damaged to the buyer was via UPS, so I know exactly what you mean Leo.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15275
My very last choice is to buy anything from South of the border.
All shipper are cruelly efficient in charging fees en masse, and always after the fact so you cannot refuse delivery.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 478
Are UPS and FEDEX different for you folks up in Canada?

I ask because here in the states, they most definitely insure packages and payback the lump of the stated insurance coverage; if they damage it. It doesn't matter if we are shipping previosly owned product or newly purchsed product from retailers.

If I insure a pair of speakers for $1,200.00 and pay their extra fees and toos them out of the back of the truck onto some cement and destroy them, they have to pay on the claim.

Oh sure, they will try to deny and duck out of a claim. But ultimately, you continue pushing it though and following through with the claim and they have to pay.

If you pay extra fees for Insuring the package above their standard $100.00 insurance coverage and they damage it; they have to pay. Or else it's off to the courts with them.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4162
It must be different up here, since UPS will only insure against loss, not damage, unless you pay the fee for them to package it for you.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 741
UPS sucks, IMO. I ordered something from the U.S. and they tried to deliver it but no one was home. So I call and say I'll pick it up from their shipping facility. They said it'll be available the next day for pickup. I even called back later that day to confirm because the online tracking wasn't updating, and they said "yup, it'll be there." So I drive (1 hour) the next day, get there and give them my slip, and guess what? It's on the truck and they are trying to deliver it. Not only that, but the idiots at that facility move like turtles. They don't give a $h!t! They should all be fired. The next day I drive again to pick it up and this time they had it, but another customer ahead of me had the same thing happen to him as what happened to me the day before.

FedEx has always been better in my experience. But basically I expect to get hammered with fees anytime I use a courier.

Canada Post, USPS, and Purolator for me. FedEx if I have to. As far as I'm concerned UPS doesn't even exist. Okay, can't always avoid them. But I will avoid sellers who ship only via UPS if there are other options.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4173
That's nuts Dan. I would have flown into a rage.

On a happier note, I faxed all the Fed-EX crap to Jolida yesterday and they're gonna take care of the bill for me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1473
I recently bought a car battery. Didn't have the dead one with me, so I paid a 15$ 'core' charge and SALES TAX on the 15$.

Only 1.20$, you say? Multiply that by say.....60% of the batteries sold in California annually and you'll come up with a pretty good chunk of change.

When I returned the deader, I got my 15$ but NOT the sales tax I paid on it! California sales tax? over 8% depending on where you are. I never got a satisfactory answer as to why I was taxed than not reimbursed.

In other words......once you are up against the bureaucrats, no reasoning in the world matters against there 'rule book'.

Good for Jolida taking care of those BS fees.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4177
With all the slagging Jolida get for shoddy quality, at least they take care of their customers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3143
Good stuff. I use the corporate UPS account at work so everything is automatically insured, and we have our own dedicated brokerage to go across the border. Boom. Easy breezy cover girl.

Good on Jolida David.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15313
I have been the recipient of that expideted service, Nick, and thanks again!
Good Nick shipping!!

Buyers take notice! ahem ahem...

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1544
I use both FedEx and UPS corporate accounts here. I do have to say that we have had far more arrive damaged from brown than from FedEx.

All my inventory comes in on Fed, and only one instance did I have a "major" disaster. All my collateral and store graphics come in on UPS, and they are constantly damaged. It is very annoying when I have to reorder stuff that cost more to ship than what it did to make them in the first place (or our window graphics that can run upwards of $150-$200 each).

I have much more faith in FedEx than UPS :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 704
I use USPS. Much cheaper. I just sent a heavy receiver from Alaska to Seattle for $23 including insurance!!!!!!

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1022
Yup. But if it doesn't make it across the border you're screwed. I had a package get lost somewhere in transition, and neither USPS nor Canada Post would take responsibility for it. Both said talk to the other. Luckily, when it happened to me the shipper refunded my money. At least with UPS and Fedex they track the package all the way to your door........but as been noted, they have their own set of warts.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4304
I found that too Chris. The postal service is great for shipping domestic, but it can be a little risky for cross border shipping. I shipped out an amp last summer to a guy in the States and it took 6 weeks to get to him. After a month, he started getting really stressed out (understandably) and once it left Canada, there was no tracking number and for awhile I thought I was screwed. From now on, when shipping to the States, I'll always use UPS. Even though they're evil.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3216
UPS has a new World Ease shipping method which makes it by far the best shipping service for shipping outside the country.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 707
Another reason that I would never use FedEx:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8667952/

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15431
Nick, does World ease make it easier on the shipping guys because nobody plays soccer with the package?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3218
lol sort of. If your a registered business World Ease allows you to use a dedicated customs courier so you don't get dinged with customs duty and taxes. And it doesn't sit there for weeks on end at the border. Using a dedicated courier that UPS hires benefits the shipper as you get to know them and develop an actual relationship with them. Your not just another number/box to ship. Therefore they care about your product. Pick your poison but UPS is the best.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4322
So this is where some of our parcels go....

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/canada/2010/10/13/15671511.html

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1033
Tip of the iceburg I expect.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4323
You bet. When I shipped an amp to Washington State this past summer via the Postal Service it took almost 6 weeks to get there. I was starting to worry and wondering if some postie was enjoying his new, free amp.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1920
Popular Mechanics, of all publications actually did a test::

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/which-shipping-company- is-kindest-to-your-packages

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4521
Interesting read Leo. Non surprising results....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4522
From a related article on Popular Mechanics:

"Don't Call it 'Fragile'
Perhaps the most disheartening discovery from our test was that labeling the package "fragile" actually increased the beating our box took in transit."

This confirms what a UPS driver once told me. The called Fragile stickers "Kick me stickers".

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 745
I have heard that joke about the US Post Office but have never had a lost or damaged package.

I am still most offended by the FedEx anti labor practices. The kind of company that is trying to eliminate the middle class in this country.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 718
I smell one big class action law suit. Can you say fed up with fed ex? I knew you could!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1924
Actually, Super, you are close to the rumor I heard.

FedEx is merging with UPS......the new company? FedUp.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4523
Haha. I've heard UPS called "United Parcel Smashers".

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
I've heard both jokes. They're funny on the surface, but it's sad that people can't rely on these companies.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4524
It really is sad SJ. I'm always nervous as hell shipping something UPS.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4525
It's even more sad when the clerk at the UPS store recommends you don't put that fragile sticker on the 3k McIntosh CD player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 732
Yeah, last time I had something serviced, it was returned to me in box large enough to fit 25 more units in with it. It was wrapped in a mile of bubble wrap plus there were foam peanuts and host of other protection. Sony didn't trust UPS either. How sad is that. A $3k disc player ought to have at least as much protection.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4216
I worked at UPS for about 2 years while in college. There's definitely some clowns working there, but its really not as bad as you think. The majority of the loaders and unloaders are college aged guys. From a guy who knows the 'inside,' it's more the system they have than anything else...

Packages get unloaded onto metal rollers. From there they got to a sorter who's standing in front of about 8 conveyor belts. He needs to read the label, pick up the package, and twist, turn, lift, squat, etc. in all different directions, depending on where its going.

They then take a long converyor belt ride to an area with a bunch of trucks. Different conveyors go to different areas of the building. During the conveyor ride, there's turns that the packages get jammed at and slides that they can smash against each other at.

After that, there a guy in a tower on what's basically the second floor (it's an open warehouse type building). That guy then reads labels and sends them down to one of 8 or so slides, where they get jammed, slam into each other, etc.

Once the loader reads the label, he makes a wall out of the packages, working his way to the back of the truck. They're taught to wedge the boxes in so that they don't come loose during the ride from bumps/vibration, etc.

Then its on to the next distribution center where it starts all over again.

All this, and I haven't accounted for the employees that accidentally drop 1 out of about 1000 packages, a guy who's got 20 packages scattered all over and accidentally steps on one or trips over one onto a bunch of them. Then there's that one weak box in the wall that basically brings the wall down.

Even without the clowns, if you didn't make it bullet-proof, it doesn't stand a chance. Nothing would get broken if it was one or two packages at a time. I used to load 2-3 30' trailers a night during the slow season in a 5 hour shift. During the holiday season, it would be at least double that. That was before internet shopping, so it could only be worse. A guy I worked with worked at Fed Ex before hand. Same system. I'd imagine they're all the same. The main difference would probably be the volume of packages they're handling (that's what she said) during shifts.

Companies that would do a lot of shipping would come and tour the facility all the time in an effort to better understand what their packages go through and how to package them more effectively.

Don't get me wrong, there's some real pieces of work out there. But it's not tolerated at all. UPS has a very strong union, and they wouldn't defend you if you got caught doing something stupid. A guy got caught on camera kicking a field goal with a box and celebrating. He and the guys who cheered him on were brought into the office first thing at their next shift. It was them, the managers, and the shop steward. They played the tape and asked the shop steward if their was any objection to firing them. The shop steward answered with one word - "No." That was the extent of the hearing.

I'm not saying this to defend the UPS guys because I'm loyal, or a former "United Package Smasher" or anything like that. We got a kick out of that name and had more...

United Pot Smugglers
United Pot Shippers
United Package Stealers

I didn't read the article. I'll probably read it later. If they sent one or two packages labeled Fargile, then I'd be very willing to bet that it's just a coincidence. If they sent 100 with and 100 without it and it made a big difference, then I'd agree.

Truth is, pretty much every package says fragile. Every package gets handled the same way, unless it's overweight or very odd sized and shaped. The odd stuff gets handled better than anything else - it gets driven to the truck on a special cart.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4217
And as for clowns...

UPS pays a good deal more and has better working conditions than most of them. The union definitely helps. Not sure about what the Post Office pays the entry-level people. Because of the pay and benefits, they can be a lot more selective of who they hire. They typically go to college campuses and recuit students to work for them. Say what you want about college students and the assinine stuff they do - most of us here were one too - but generally far better than the average minimumium wage high school drop-out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 750
I'm sure UPS appreciates the plug (just kidding) of course you have good and bad employees, situations, etc. Did I mention the system still didn't work when I got it back? The box didn't look too badly beaten up so I don't know what happened. It just bothers me knowing that there are clowns who don't care about other people's property, but would have 10 cows if their stuff was misstreated.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1927
My former boss at work once drove for UPS.

Claims to have 'low bridged' a truck. ooooops!

Bet everything was still delivered as if nothing happened.

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
Cop: You stuck?

Trucker: Nope! I just delivered that bridge! Here's your sign!

- Bill Engval

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4533
Thanks for the insight of the inner workings of UPS Stu. The only experience I've had with UPS (outside of having audio gear delivered to my house) is when I worked as a shipper for a book distributor. A lot of these guys lived up to the Ace Ventura stereotype, if you know what I mean. But some of the drivers were stand-up guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us